Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

1 minute ago, LDSGator said:

We agree that they are part of it, where we disagree is their size and influence. 

Right.

And it is my supposition that unless Disney does some serious course correction here, that the size and influence of what's happened in the past few weeks is going to be much greater than what's gone on before. And that leaves me moderately hopeful. That's my primary thesis I guess.

4 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Right.

And it is my supposition that unless Disney does some serious course correction here, that the size and influence of what's happened in the past few weeks is going to be much greater than what's gone on before. And that leaves me moderately hopeful. That's my primary thesis I guess.

Time will tell. 

10 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

It is my supposition that unless Disney does some serious course correction here, that the size and influence of what's happened in the past few weeks is going to be much greater than what's gone on before. And that leaves me moderately hopeful. That's my primary thesis I guess.

I hope you are right. I wish you were right. But I won't believe it until I see it. 

Yours truly, 

Thomas

Edited by Vort

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Everything is terrible. I'm so depressed.

But...one can hope.

Let us, you and me, remember that we are living in the fulness of times. God's greatest blessings that he has ever given are available to us today, if only we will seek after him with all our hearts. The wickedness of the world doesn't matter, except insofar as it pollutes our houses and families. So let us teach our children to resist and walk away from evil. Then let us live our lives joyfully, as the Savior would have us do.

6 hours ago, Vort said:

Let us, you and me, remember that we are living in the fulness of times. God's greatest blessings that he has ever given are available to us today, if only we will seek after him with all our hearts. The wickedness of the world doesn't matter, except insofar as it pollutes our houses and families. So let us teach our children to resist and walk away from evil. Then let us live our lives joyfully, as the Savior would have us do.

Of course I know you're right. And I feel guilt over the feelings of fear and whatnot that I have. My children don't need to ever experience Disneyland. But boy howdy that makes me sad. 

If you don't hear from me again I suppose I've been turned into a pillar of salt. 

Ya bunch of downers.  Am I the only person who has joined a networking group of diversity allies, learned the lingo, gained some trust, and now regularly preach the gospel to them in ways that speaks to the light of Christ present in all of us?

If you folks can get over your own senses of loss over falling into the cultural minority on various issues a decade ago, y'all might be able to do some good instead of sitting there whinging at each other in one of the few remaining echo chamber safe spaces for folk like us.  It's sounding like you're all just content to sit back and wallow in defeat and despair.  Poppycock!

I mean, all those "the field is white already to harvest" scriptures didn't come with an expiration date.  Grab yourselves the ability to communicate with the new lingo, swallow  your pride, develop a few well-needed skills to put behind your efforts to live the 2nd great commandment, and join me in making a genuine impact in the woke wave of lost souls. 

What I’m interested in is where these “boycotts” stop and why Disney is the target. I’m 100% confident that every major car manufacturer probably donates to Planned Parenthood or other left wing charities. We should boycott them too if we want to be morally consistent. 

It reminds me a bit of the classic Simpsons episode where they want to play a board game but Lisa, the liberal, finds issues with every game. Mouse Trap endorses animal cruelty, can’t play it. Monopoly endorses capitalism, can’t play it.  The board game Life is insulting to those who don’t have the same privileges, can’t play it. Finally Marge, the mom, snaps and shoves some generic game in Lisa’s face and says “What about this one? You got a problem with that?” 

Sadly it used to be liberals who were the fussy Puritan killjoys. Now the right is climbing on that train. 

8 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

What I’m interested in is where these “boycotts” stop and why Disney is the target. I’m 100% confident that every major car manufacturer probably donates to Planned Parenthood or other left wing charities. We should boycott them too if we want to be morally consistent. 

It reminds me a bit of the classic Simpsons episode where they want to play a board game but Lisa, the liberal, finds issues with every game. Mouse Trap endorses animal cruelty, can’t play it. Monopoly endorses capitalism, can’t play it.  The board game Life is insulting to those who don’t have the same privileges, can’t play it. Finally Marge, the mom, snaps and shoves some generic game in Lisa’s face and says “What about this one? You got a problem with that?” 

Sadly it used to be liberals who were the fussy Puritan killjoys. Now the right is climbing on that train. 

Bob Iger, the current CEO, is trying to reign back in the excesses that came in under former executives. 

In particular, Bob Chapek, his predecessor, allowed the studio heads to become feudal lords, giving them ultimate power over their little domains. Iger, however, is requiring the studio heads to be subordinate to the head of marketing and the head of distribution, the two people in the company who are supposed to be on the front lines of what people do and don't want. The idea is that these two will gate-keep ideas that won't be financially profitable at the market. 

The studio heads are revolting against this loss in power, particularly heads like Kathleen Kennedy who used their position to force their social and political views into place. Hence why anything and everything they can do to undermine Iger is fair game. This is why the business magazines are singing his praises but the entertainment trades are dog-piling on top of him.

Iger donating to *both* political parties in order to curry favor no matter who is in power? That means he is, by definition, donating to the "wrong" causes and politicians, and so he is being targeted. 

It's the same thing that happened to indie video game developer Scott Cawthorn, the guy who created the "Five Nights at Freddy's" franchise of horror games. He was donating to politicians on both sides of the aisle, and the "progressive' crowd didn't like that. 

13 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Bob Iger, the current CEO

Actually Bob Chapek is the current CEO. Iger resigned in 2020. 

And that doesn’t address my question. Shouldn’t we also boycott the car companies that endorse gay marriage, Planned Parenthood, etc? Why not? Shouldn’t we also sell our iPhones, Androids and computers too? Because those companies also do things like Disney-donate to causes we disagree with, etc.  

Edited by LDSGator

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Disney seems to be targeting children directly. Buying a car doesn't directly teach your children about sexuality. Watching a Disney show very well might. I doubt if Disney simply kept supporting leftist things behind the scenes that many would say much. Because they say they will intentionally put such things in their children shows as an agenda, it brings everything to the forefront and puts people into defense mode. People worry about taking their children to Disneyland and getting drag princes and princesses. It's a direct attack.

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Parents who are worried about their children being taught leftist sex and gender ideaologies are killjoys?

9 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Disney seems to be targeting children directly. Buying a car doesn't directly teach your children about sexuality.

I do partially understand that, however I think my larger points stands. Come gay pride month car dealerships along with other companies will go full pride mode, and it’s only a matter of time until someone on the right turns their gaze that way using the same logic here. “Ford is targeting our kids! Boycott Ford.” Someone is always trying to ban something “For the children.”

9 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Parents who are worried about their children being taught leftist sex and gender ideaologies are killjoys?

Several thoughts.

Parents are free to ban whatever they wish from their house. So I’m not arguing that. 

Yes, I do think the right with their “Boycott NFL/Target/Disney/Celebrity X” are turning into killjoys. If you want to forbid your kids from watching all Disney movies (even the harmless old school ones) then yes, I do think it’s a bad sign. The ban won’t stop there. I’ve seen firsthand parents try ban everything from the WWE to Karate to comic books to Saved by the Bell. That does make them sort of Puritanical. 

Edited by LDSGator

40 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Parents are free to ban whatever they wish from their house. So I’m not arguing that

We agree on that point

Yes, I do think the right with their “Boycott NFL/Target/Disney/Celebrity X” are turning into killjoys.

I think we may differ in our understanding of joy and what sort of thing kills it.

even the harmless old school ones

I have seen a few views implying this, but by and large I think most conservative parents are more reasonable than that. I'm not going to burn my copy of Cinderella. But I'm not buying any more Disney product without reviewing it first. And anything with that sort of "woke" content loses my money. I also won't, generally, pay for services like Disney+ because that content permeates it.

As for going to the parks... I dunno. If I expect to see princesses in drag there's no way in stink I'm taking my family. And I wouldn't put that past Disney. So...???

I think you're seeing this parental response as a formal call for boycott... but that is not what it is. There will be some of that. But go to any ad, for example, for Disney+ on Facebook and read the comments. People aren't calling for boycotts. They are simply declaring they will not consume product from a company that's going after their kids. 

Disney has alienated their core Market. That is just bad business any way you cut it.

Most of Disney's customer base (outside of Marvel or Star Wars) is families, not millennial SJWs. At least half (likely more based on polling) of that customer base is now being motivated to turn elsewhere for entertainment. That's not good for Disney. And I think you're seriously underestimating how bad this will be for them. But time, as you said, will tell. 

from the WWE to Karate to comic books to Saved by the Bell. That does make them sort of Puritanical. 

None of these things have anywhere near the family customer base as Disney, or the outraged negative publicity going on. Not even close. 

That does make them sort of Puritanical. 

And finally... good! If only we could, as a society, be more puritanical! Sure, there's going TOO puritanical. But society has swung SO far the other way that we sorely need this. 

Edited by The Folk Prophet

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

think we may differ in our understanding of joy and what sort of thing kills it.

Yes, agree fully. 

And I think you're seriously underestimating how bad this will be for them.

I very well might be, but to be fair to me, I saw a ton of conservatives on social media (none in my personal life) who were 100% convinced they would bring the NFL to its knees during the Kapernick days. Of course, they’ll never admit it now-but they did. And yet, the NFL is chugging along. 

have seen a few views implying this, but by and large I think most conservative parents are more reasonable than tha

Hope so, but I have my doubts there too. 

Edited by LDSGator

22 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

None of these things have anywhere near the family customer base as Disney, or the outraged negative publicity going on. Not even close

Partially true, but that sort of proves my point.

During the “attitude era” of the WWE the PTC went on a crusade to cancel them. They failed, partially because they grossly underestimated the size of the WWE audience and the swing the WWE had. The WWE is also chugging along, while the PTC isn’t really well known by mainstream society. The PTC grossly over estimated their own influence, and swung at someone way above their weight class. While you are 100% correct that Disney is a family place, don’t underestimate that power Disney has. Even some conservative families will still support them, you just won’t hear about them. They aren’t as vocal. 

Really enjoying the conversation @The Folk Prophet. Thank you!

Edited by LDSGator

The NFL saw the writing on the wall with their anti anthem stance.  The first two weeks saw diminishing ratings and they altered course so as to not become the NBA, which suffered massive rating declines.  So standing up for your principles can have an effect and even if it doesn't...stand up for your principles.  Sadly, this is a vanishing act in our culture.

23 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I very well might be, but to be fair to me, I saw a ton of conservatives on social media (none in my personal life) who were 100% convinced they would bring the NFL to its knees during the Kapernick days. Of course, they’ll never admit it now-but they did. And yet, the NFL is chugging along. 

I don't believe anyone thinks they'll bring Disney to their knees. Enough bad press and profit loss though and maybe they'll go a bit more politically neutral. That's the best we hope, I think.

26 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Hope so, but I have my doubts there too. 

And yet you'd likely immediately see how conservatives tend to judge all liberals only by the extreme wackos.

24 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

don’t underestimate that power Disney has

Disney's full power, ultimately, stems from their customer base though. They are an example of free-market capitslism (mostly). And they're dumping sugar in their own gas tank and still expecting to win races. 

28 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Really enjoying the conversation @The Folk Prophet. Thank you!

Ditto.

26 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

don't believe anyone thinks they'll bring Disney to their knees. Enough bad press and profit loss though and maybe they'll go a bit more politically neutral. That's the best we hope, I think.

That’s fair. Keeping expectations reasonable is crucial here. Disney has long gotten special treatment here from the government in Florida (and, maybe surprisingly to some, I don’t think they should. Like, at all!) so it’ll be interesting to see how DeSantis deals with this. 

Edited by LDSGator

4 hours ago, LDSGator said:

And that doesn’t address my question. Shouldn’t we also boycott the car companies that endorse gay marriage, Planned Parenthood, etc? Why not? Shouldn’t we also sell our iPhones, Androids and computers too? Because those companies also do things like Disney-donate to causes we disagree with, etc.  

The idea that we should be morally consistent in our boycotts and bans doesn't seem to fit well with the idea that it is wise to pick our battles.