Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

The idea that we should be morally consistent in our boycotts and bans doesn't seem to fit well with the idea that it is wise to pick our battles.

I understand that, and I personally agree with you. If you go to war over every topic you are in for a miserable life. 

However, the question could easily be asked-why are you picking on Disney? Are you jumping on a bandwagon? Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is and boycott all these other companies that are doing the same thing? 

Now, with that said, @The Folk Prophet was correct that because Disney targets families, it makes the case a little different. He makes a good point. 

But I do stand by my bigger point. “Boycotting” Disney from your iPhone while watching Netflix and driving a Chevy does make me question why you are picking on Disney. Because all those companies support the same things.

And to be clear, everyone has the right to spend their money how they want to spend it. I’m not saying otherwise. And like Elder Uchtdorf perfectly said once, to some degree we are all hypocrites. 

Edited by LDSGator

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

The idea that we should be morally consistent in our boycotts and bans doesn't seem to fit well with the idea that it is wise to pick our battles.

Of course we have no obligation to be morally consistent with our bans and boycotts.

23 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I still don't wear Nike products.  

I always found their products over-priced, and generally go with "discount" footwear. 

In particular, I usually purchase the Wal-Mart brand of athletic shoes, as they have Velcro instead of shoe laces. I work in part as a delivery driver, and so Velcro is one less thing I have to worry about as I'm schlepping bundles. 

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I always found their products over-priced, and generally go with "discount" footwear. 

In particular, I usually purchase the Wal-Mart brand of athletic shoes, as they have Velcro instead of shoe laces. I work in part as a delivery driver, and so Velcro is one less thing I have to worry about as I'm schlepping bundles. 

You might look into Danner.  Best shoe and work boot I have worn.

As for Nike, they gave money to a guy who gave money to a cop killer.  I won't wear their products.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Going to see "Lightyear" this afternoon for review purposes. 

We'll see how that goes.

I'll be curious to see your reaction. I've heard it's good...and terrible. I won't see it either way because as long as their actively trying to corrupt my children they don't get my money. But....still curious.

21 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'll be curious to see your reaction. I've heard it's good...and terrible. I won't see it either way because as long as their actively trying to corrupt my children they don't get my money. But....still curious.

Okay.

The film, in and of itself, is tolerable, and even has a few moments of legitimate humor and sympathy.

However...

The film opens with a statement proclaiming that the movie is the exact same film that Andy from "Toy Story" saw in 1995 that made him so excited to get a Buzz Lightyear figure for his birthday. This creates several problems with in-franchise continuity, including the film having a contradictory backstory for Zerg and having an LGBT romance when virtually no Hollywood studio would have included an LGBT romance in a "family" movie in the mid-1990s. 

The movie makes such a mess of things that it's easy to spend the run time trying to reconcile the movie with everything else "Toy Story", and so it's not something I can ultimately recommend. I foresee this film going straight down the memory hole as far as most "Toy Story" fans are concerned. 

• 1 year later...

Indiana Jones is being reported by all the fandom menace crowd and like commentators as being dreadful. I've seen a lot of negativity surrounding it. The inclusion of Phoebe Waller-Bridge and the terrible CGI in the previews has me feeling it will stink. And I'm highly uninterested in giving Disney any money...so I won't see it in theaters. But I must admit that I secretly hope it's good. As I was reading through some reviews by lay-folk many thought it was great. But I don't trust those. So who know.

What say ye all?

Will you see it? Uninterested? Excited?

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

What say ye all?

Off topic (slightly). 

I’m not a fan of the movies. I’ve seen Raiders-Crusade only once each and thought they were just okay. I can see why someone would love the series. 

Oddly, in the mid 90’s Lucasarts released a point and click game based on Crusade that I absolutely loved playing with my family. @The Folk Prophetif you are a fan of the series and like old dos games, check it out. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Last_Crusade:_The_Graphic_Adventure

Edited by LDSGator

7 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Indiana Jones is being reported by all the fandom menace crowd and like commentators as being dreadful. I've seen a lot of negativity surrounding it. The inclusion of Phoebe Waller-Bridge and the terrible CGI in the previews has me feeling it will stink. And I'm highly uninterested in giving Disney any money...so I won't see it in theaters. But I must admit that I secretly hope it's good. As I was reading through some reviews by lay-folk many thought it was great. But I don't trust those. So who know.

What say ye all?

I haven't even seen a trailer for it.  I have no idea.  But Kingdom of the Crystal Skull kinda left me deflated.  It was thoroughly unimpressive.  I really have no desire to see another one until everyone and their dog tells me it's the best in the series.

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

What say ye all?

Personally, I'd love to see Indy outside of his original mortal timeline. Unless there's something in the canon that I'm missing, isn't he basically immortal after drinking from the holy grail? Forget aliens. I want to see Indy try to foil modern technology and weaponry. I want to see him punch a neo-Nazi in the face at a Starbucks. There's so much entertainment potential being wasted here.

Edited by Godless

14 hours ago, Godless said:

Personally, I'd love to see Indy outside of his original mortal timeline. Unless there's something in the canon that I'm missing, isn't he basically immortal after drinking from the holy grail? Forget aliens. I want to see Indy try to foil modern technology and weaponry. I want to see him punch a neo-Nazi in the face at a Starbucks. There's so much entertainment potential being wasted here.

I figured that for the immortality to work, you had to stay in the cave.

For me, one “Indy got old” movie was a novelty—Crystal Skull could have been done better, but IMHO it wasn’t terrible.  Two “Indy got old” movies just feels like a worn-out gimmick.  

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

image.png.14441d00002eee51fd2b07c30084018c.png

The funny thing about the "star" system is that we never know what the top is anymore.

Old-timers like me remember when four stars was the top.

Then at some point five stars were introduced while four stars never really disappeared.

Now IMDB has a 10 star system.

Guest Godless
6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Of course.  Why wouldn't it be?

Understand that "everyone and their dog" is a figurative phrase.  The literal application of that would, of course, be muddy.

This conversation reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies.

Guest Godless

In other Disney-adjacent news, ESPN just laid of ~20 on-air employees, including several staples who have been with the company for close to 20 years. Apparently it was to free up capital for Pat McAfee and the massive contract they're giving him. I like Pat a lot and I think he'll be a great asset for ESPN, but it sucks to see so many household names sacrificed on his behalf. Dumping that amount of talent and experience for a single personality seems like a huge gamble to me. 

Rumors are that 

1. Kathleen Kennedy has been put on two weeks' paid vacation

2. Her internal company e-mail account has been locked

3. Five Disney executives are taking up residence at Lucasfilm

This, to me, seems like Disney is conducting an audit of the division, with an eye to Kennedy's actions. 

On 6/30/2023 at 7:28 PM, Godless said:

In other Disney-adjacent news, ESPN just laid of ~20 on-air employees, including several staples who have been with the company for close to 20 years. Apparently it was to free up capital for Pat McAfee and the massive contract they're giving him. I like Pat a lot and I think he'll be a great asset for ESPN, but it sucks to see so many household names sacrificed on his behalf. Dumping that amount of talent and experience for a single personality seems like a huge gamble to me. 

The drama around ESPN is a bit complicated. The right likes to claim it’s because Disney is “woke” but that just shows how little they grasp about business. Yup, companies lose money sometimes but no, that doesn’t mean Disney will file for bankruptcy. 

In reality, ESPN itself is very antiquated. It’s flirting with being the FM radio of the media world.   As a kid in the 90’s you had to rely on newspapers and Sportscenter for sports news. Now I can get sports scores (and analysis) 24/7 from any source I want. ESPN just isn’t needed anymore, and there is very little they can do about it. 

I like McCafee too, for the record. 

Edited by LDSGator