Sabbath as a delight... how?

NeedleinA

Another talk on the horizon with the topic: "Making the Sabbath a delight at both church and at home". 

I've personally had sabbaths of every flavor. Does anyone have a secret or something they do or don't do on Sundays to make them a 'delight'?
Has anyone figured out how to change their Sunday from childhood torture to adulthood delight OR vice versa?
Any ideas & suggestions would be appreciated. 
Thank you!

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Another talk on the horizon with the topic: "Making the Sabbath a delight at both church and at home". 

I've personally had sabbaths of every flavor. Does anyone have a secret or something they do or don't do on Sundays to make them a 'delight'?
Has anyone figured out how to change their Sunday from childhood torture to adulthood delight OR vice versa?
Thank you!

For understanding I would point you to Hebrews chapter 4.  Here Pall compares the Sabbath day as learning to enter into the L-rd's rest which is living with G-d in the Celestial Kingdom following the resurrection (being in heaven).  In short, keeping the Sabbath is learning to be with G-d the Father in his Kingdom of heaven.  I really think that being with G-d is a delight!

I would suggest that this is not about do's or don'ts on Sunday but by entering into a covenant with G-d to enter into his "rest" for the Sabbath.  I believe this is a process where we focus on service to G-d and our neighbor rather than our own pleasures, needs ore necessities.  Some may never learn to find delight in sacrifice and service to G-d and our fellow man because they never sacrifice through service to G-d and their neighbor.  If they ever do sacrifice it is because they seek a benefit for themselves. 

I have a Sabbath covenant with G-d - which includes attending worship services to renew my covenants and partake of the sacrament.   There are things I do to remind me of my Sabbath covenant but I do not consider such things as must do's to keep the Sabbath - nor do I expect anyone else to adopt my methods.  But I do recommend that all adopt methods to remind them of their sacred Sabbath covenants.

It is my believe that no one will ever find delight in the Sabbath without making and keeping the Sabbath sacred by personal covenant.

The Traveler

I make it a point to make my Sundays as calm and quiet as possible. 

I listen to a couple of radio shows I like before church, during which I get my online matters knocked out. 

I have church, then I go to a particular store to get a particular newspaper. 

Barring any situations that may arise, once I'm home, I'm home. I find a comfortable spot, turn the radio back on, and just chill. I usually read and otherwise just take it slow to recharge for Monday. 

I personally never enjoyed an overly sedentary Sabbath. Give me my scripture study time but then let me get going. I actually like having meetings or assignments that get me doing something. To me the rest I enjoy is not thinking about work or anything else of a temporal nature but not necessarily slowing down, just changing focus. So I would say finding a good balance between feeding my soul and engaging in the work is key to making the Sabbath a delight for me.

14 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Thank you!

Sabbath is a day of rest… but rest is only rest if you need it. If you have been sitting in your couch all day watching TV, there is no need for rest.

Additionally, I found on my mission that I slept best after says I worked extremely hard.

I find that the Sabbath only plays it’s role as a day of rest when we have obeyed other aspects of the gospel. If we work hard throughout the week, avoid slothfulness (Doctrine and Covenants 107:99-100), avoid idleness and sleeping longer than needful (Doctrine and Covenants 88:124), are diligent in our role as a provider, parent, nurturer etc, and magnify whatever calling we have, only then is the sabbath a restful day and a delight.

If we spend our week over indulging in the luxuries of life and neglecting work, the sabbath will become a day of excess rules. A day that seems more difficult than all others.

The degree of which the sabbath is a delight and a day of rest is directly related to the degree you live gospel principles throughout the week. 

Edited by Fether

We always have a family Sunday brunch, consisting of either waffles and sausage or pancakes and bacon, plus eggs, sometimes blueberry muffins, and so on. Whatever time we eat it—first thing in the morning, after Church, night right before bed—it's always called Sunday brunch. It has become a tradition that we enjoy and that makes Sunday a little bit special. "Delight" is probably a good description. Not a huge deal, but nice.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, NeedleinA said:

"Making the Sabbath a delight at both church and at home". 

Flip all breakers to the house. ;)

On a more serious note, my wife hates the endless cycle that laundry can become so she likes to do laundry once a week.  Sunday nights we gather in the TV room with all the laundry and separate it while watching something.  (She then spends Mondays processing all the laundry and Monday night we fold while listening to a Conference talk) We recently finished Dwight in Shining Armor on BYUTV.  We're trying out other shows on there now.  Nothing really seems as good yet.  I really like this tradition.  It gets the kids involved in the chore, we're together as a family, watching something we can talk about later and share jokes.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, NeedleinA said:

Thank you!

This is one I have to admit I still struggle with. I have a internal fight between the way I was raised (tradition) and what I think is best. I do like President Nelson's question on how to make the Sabbath a delight -- principle based.

Maybe truly take it as a day of rest -- 24 hours of sleep minus 2 hours of church. 😉

On 8/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Anddenex said:

This is one I have to admit I still struggle with. I have a internal fight between the way I was raised (tradition) and what I think is best. I do like President Nelson's question on how to make the Sabbath a delight -- principle based.

Maybe truly take it as a day of rest -- 24 hours of sleep minus 2 hours of church. 😉

Would you mind sharing a bit about the 'tradition' you speak of? I was brought up in a conservative Protestant tradition(actually two branches of it) that valued church attendance & then rest on Sunday. That way of thinking still retains some value for me. I'd be interested in reading more about yr experience.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, lonetree said:

Would you mind sharing a bit about the 'tradition' you speak of? I was brought up in a conservative Protestant tradition(actually two branches of it) that valued church attendance & then rest on Sunday. That way of thinking still retains some value for me. I'd be interested in reading more about yr experience.

The traditions I am speaking of are what my parents would and would not allow on the Sabbath day. My wife and I disagree on what is allowed on the Sabbath due to the traditions I was raised with.

Before Church the only activities allowed were church related activities (i.e. scripture study, journal writing). After church almost any activity was OK as long as we didn't cause any contention with our siblings. That is one tradition example. As I have spoke with other members it seems my parents held similar traditions as other members of the Church.