Banned Members

clbent04

4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I remember reading an account by a woman who was a little girl in the early 20th century when the sacramental water was drunk from a communal chalice.  Seems a lot of the mustachioed brethren didn’t always clean their facial hair very carefully, and if you were one of the last ones to take the sacrament—suffice it to say, there’d be a lot of debris in that chalice.

🤢🤮

Sounds like the start of another tradition:

General Authority visits a ward. 

*Looks at congregation.*

*Looks at chalice.*

*Looks back at congregation.*

Whispers to bishop “It’s the rule going forward that the highest ranking authority in attendance takes the sacrament first…” 

3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I remember reading an account by a woman who was a little girl in the early 20th century when the sacramental water was drunk from a communal chalice.  Seems a lot of the mustachioed brethren didn’t always clean their facial hair very carefully, and if you were one of the last ones to take the sacrament—suffice it to say, there’d be a lot of debris in that chalice.

The chalice from the palace (church) failed to hold the brew that was true?

On 8/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, Fether said:

Just to clarify, a district meeting is a weekly meeting for missionaries where they get together and get trained by the one assigned over them. It was a Wednesday morning and the district leader (a 19 year old elder) organized the blessing and passing of the sacrament. He had sister do the passing.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

Handbook section 18.9.2 doesn’t seem to contemplate non-priesthood-holders passing the sacrament.  The lawyer in me likes to ask questions like “well, when we are in the center pew and the tray has gone down through all eight members of my family and there’s an eight-foot gap between my 10-year-old-son and Brother Johnson sitting all alone on the far end of the pew, does that mean my son can’t walk the tray down to Brother Johnson?  He has to pass it back through all of our family to the deacon who gave us the tray, and then that deacon has to walk to the other end of the pew where Brother Johnson is?  What’s the difference between passing the sacrament tray, and Passing the Sacrament?  And where in scripture is it written that deacons are responsible for Passing the Sacrament in the first place?”

I think that as a church, we could hypothetically get to a point where Passing the Sacrament is seen as something that can be done by non-priesthood-holders.  But for the time being, it seems like the intent of the current (and historical) Church leadership has been that it be considered an exclusive duty of the priesthood.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:55 PM, Colirio said:

From the Handbook 18.9.4:

“6. After the prayer, priesthood holders reverently pass the bread to the members. The presiding leader receives it first, after which there is no set order. Once a tray is handed to members, they may pass it to one another.” 

Speaking of Banned Members...I'm back!  Probably only briefly though.  I'm mostly only here because I'm in desperate need of escapism at the moment.

I could probably say more on this than anyone cares to, but I'll go brief.  I'll also be lazy and not bother putting together sources or references.  (See previous comment about escapism)

Simply put, under my advisement--after having read a news article and spoken to all our nursing mothers-- I convinced my previous bishop to establish a practice of the young women passing the sacrament in our ward.  It was limited in scope to exactly one of them sitting in the foyer, taking the tray from whoever came out, and then walking it into the mother's lounge (we had 7 children born in the span of about four months, the mother's lounge was constantly occupied). 

The only complaint I ever encountered was that "women can't administer the sacrament." So I pulled out D&C 20: something and showed them where it said that neither Deacons nor Teachers were authorized to administer the sacrament. Therefore, preparing and passing the sacrament must not be "administering the sacrament." The section of the handbook which Colirio cites mentions priesthood holders passing, but that isn't a doctrinal limitation and could be changed relatively easily. That was really the only obstacle, which we dismissed with the fact that the women being served had a clear preference for a young women coming into the room over a young man. 

As described by someone else, the issue with the missionaries holding Sacrament on a Wednesday really isn't that the sisters helped to pass, it's that the missionaries authorized themselves to do it.  They just don't have the authority to do that.

4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Good to see you back, @MarginOfError.  I hope you stick around; I always feel smarter after reading your posts (even when I don’t agree with your extremist radical pinko-commie ways! :D )

I've always fancied myself more of a purple-commie

On 8/10/2021 at 3:08 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

As a visual aid, I share my beard trimmings. Not exactly a chalice here, but you get the idea.

IMG_4297.thumb.jpg.be59bbef31988e10e4f05c4c3e01e98b.jpg

IMG_4299.thumb.jpg.f094b4d7935e16e45efc4f1a1a4e2c58.jpg

Edited by clbent04