Marijuana Hallucination or Demonic Experience?

clbent04

So I went off the reservation a little bit last year after going through a divorce that was finalized in June 2020. The divorce was a little rough on me, but I'd say the marriage was the harder part to get through. Suffice it to say, the ex-wife and I are both happier now.

During the separation and divorce process, I applied for a medical marijuana card. After a cursory examination, the doctor said I was approved and needed to smoke as much weed as possible everyday to alleviate back pain I experience from time to time. Did I personally believe I needed to smoke as much marijuana as possible? Well, no, but I'm not a doctor.  Did I maybe want to visit a marijuana doctor in hopes of being approved for a marijuana card more than just for purposes of alleviating my back pain?  Well, yeah, I figured let's just see what this marijuana stuff is about after never having broken the Word of Wisdom in my 34 years of life.

After having separated from my ex-wife, we both began dating others and that was a weird experience for me considering the whole dating scene had changed from the last time I had dated back in 2012.  Fast forward to 2020 and no seemed to be messaging anymore.  Everyone was just swiping left and right.

After getting the hang of the apps and dating a couple different girls, I began to hang out with a stoner girl who became my "Weed Sensei".  She had lived a much different life, but we became friends nonetheless and occasionally smoked together. 

So that's the context, but this is the main part I want to get to.  Marijuana can be a hallucinogen depending on the person.  Some people might laugh at that and say it's only the harder drugs that make you hallucinate, but it's true.  And while it's not very common to hallucinate off marijuana, the effects of marijuana vary depending on how sensitive a person is to it.  I turned out to very sensitive to marijuana.  So sensitive, that after having smoked maybe a total of 25 times, I gave it up completely.  It really messed with my mind.  It takes you to Lala Land where your mind feels like its drifting through the clouds, makes you experience a loss of feeling in control, and also makes you highly paranoid as your mind will want to race 100 miles per hour but unable to process as it would absent of marijuana in your system.

On one of the last times I smoked with stoner girl, I had an negative hallucination.  She was at my house one evening, and after smoking on the backyard patio, we came to sit in the house.  We were in the living room where she was sitting on the loveseat, and I was on the 3-seater couch with my 2 dogs. 

I remember most of the lights being off as it was dark but still visible in the living room.  This is when the hallucination happened.  I looked up at her while I was sitting on the 3-seater couch, and her eyes were glowing a hazy red.  The moment I saw her eyes like that, my 2 dogs started barking uncontrollably.  They wouldn't stop barking at her.  It's strange my dogs were barking at her because they've never bark at anyone before, only other dogs.

As all the commotion was going on, she asked me what's wrong and she started to freak out too, and mentioned something like feeling a negative energy in the room.  I tried to just play it cool as I was uncomfortable seeing those glowing red eyes look at me. I avoided eye contact and tried to casually respond to her that I have no idea why the dogs are acting so crazy, and playfully suggested that she was supposed to be my Weed Sensei and anchor for both of us when we were high given her vast experience of smoking weed.  She suggested the dogs were sensing my energy and were barking because they felt that I was uncomfortable.  And that's pretty much the gist of it.  

So was this just a hallucination or could it have possibly been a demonic experience?  Possibilities I think of when recalling this event in order of what I think is most likely: 1.) it was the marijuana and the dogs were sensing my energy, or 2.) I was seeing a sign that stoner girl and I just weren't meant to be, or 3.) stoner girl was possessed and I was seeing it for the first time, or 4.) it was a negative energy in the room that overlapped itself onto stoner girl giving me the impression that stoner girl was possessed but not really

Edited by clbent04

Fun story clbent04! It must have taken some guts to share.  Sorry to hear about your divorce. 

15 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

So was this just a hallucination or could it have possibly been a demonic experience?

You're asking a peanut gallery here, most of whom (I assume) have neither experience with MJ, nor demonic possession.  Not sure anyone here is qualified to respond.  My best armchair rabbi response is "why not both?"

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Fun story clbent04! It must have taken some guts to share.  Sorry to hear about your divorce. 

You're asking a peanut gallery here, most of whom (I assume) have neither experience with MJ, nor demonic possession.  Not sure anyone here is qualified to respond.  My best armchair rabbi response is "why not both?"

Thanks @NeuroTypical. Both could very well be a possibility. It seems marijuana and other drugs can invite that kind of energy.

Based on my limited experience with weed, and hearing some accounts of drug use from others, I think drugs have the ability to open your mind up in a way that pierces the veil.  But the problem is, your mind becomes so flooded with heightened stimuli that it's hard to make sense of it.  I remember one night, I started having all sorts of insights about the premortal life and how we existed as intelligences.  That's where I got most of my inspiration to write this post lol:

28 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

There is a huge difference between “experimenting” and “using medicinal marijuana to alleviate pain, depression and anxiety” 

As he mentioned above:

17 hours ago, clbent04 said:

Did I maybe want to visit a marijuana doctor in hopes of being approved for a marijuana card more than just for purposes of alleviating my back pain?  Well, yeah, I figured let's just see what this marijuana stuff is about after never having broken the Word of Wisdom in my 34 years of life.

And then went on to experiment more with his “weed sensei”

it seemed clear that this was more experimenting, but trying to find a loophole in the religious system to justify it. Kinda like taking your GF to Vegas to get married so you can have sex, then getting an immediate Annulment

7 minutes ago, Fether said:

it seemed clear that this was more experimenting, but trying to find a loophole in the religious system to justify it. Kinda like taking your GF to Vegas to get married so you can have sex, then getting an immediate Annulment

"You can do that?"
- all the teenagers

37 minutes ago, Fether said:

As he mentioned above:

And then went on to experiment more with his “weed sensei”

Not really. It’s more like “I’m in emotional and physical pain, and I am willing to try anything to treat it.” It’s hardly like two kids getting married to satisfy lust. Totally different actually. 

4 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Not really. It’s more like “I’m in emotional and physical pain, and I am willing to try anything to treat it.” It’s hardly like two kids getting married to satisfy lust. Totally different actually. 

I’m all for medical marijuana for proper uses… but he literally said

18 hours ago, clbent04 said:

I applied for a medical marijuana card. …Did I personally believe I needed to smoke as much marijuana as possible? Well, no, … Did I maybe want to visit a marijuana doctor in hopes of being approved for a marijuana card more than just for purposes of alleviating my back pain?  Well, yeah, I figured let's just see what this marijuana stuff is about after never having broken the Word of Wisdom in my 34 years of life.

This is exactly like lustful people getting married for a pried period so they can have sex

13 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

We see it very differently, that’s for sure. 

The spirit told me I’m right… so if you disagree with me then you are disagreeing with the spirit… so I win

Edited by Fether

1 hour ago, Fether said:

The spirit told me I’m right… so if you disagree with me then you are disagreeing with the spirit… so I win

For more context, my curiosity to see what marijuana was like was spurred on by me wanting to escape my reality at the time due to depression.  My primary motive in trying weed was to deal with my mental state, although the main reason the doctor greenlighted me for the marijuana medical card was to deal with my occasional back pain (state law at the time didn't allow medical marijuana cards to be issued to treat mental issues, but now can be used by anyone over a certain age with a recent law that passed).

15 hours ago, Fether said:

Could willfully experimenting with drugs when you knows it’s wrong be a demonic experience in and of itself?

If by demonic experience you simply mean committing a sin, I would say yes, as would any violation to the Word of Wisdom.  But the Lord considers motive and all factors in our lives leading up to everything we do, and He will judge me accordingly.

Does weed generally make people hallucinate? No. That's very uncommon, and I realize that, but I had the experience I did maybe due to the extra hash that stoner girl added.  Do harder drugs like acid make people hallucinate? Yes. My uncle told me he saw demons while using acid for the first time.

Edited by clbent04

I am skeptical concerning many things being discussed in this thread.  I am not an expert in marijuana but I do know some people that use medical marijuana.  As I understand there are two main derivatives to marijuana - THC and CBD and all the primary elements to physically relieve pain are found in CBD which is much less attractive to recreational users because it is nonintoxicating.  CBD can be obtained by itself for relief of pain.  However I have been told that over the years that users will develop tolerances to CBD.  Thus medical marijuana is a temporary fix.  Note that I used the word fix deliberately.   I have been told that THC is not really a "medical" treatment for pain other than getting "high".    It is also my understanding that medically, a life style change ought to be considered as a means to deal with pain - but again I am not an expert.  But it does appear to me that suffering pain can be (but does not have to be) a psychological rather than a physical problem. 

@clbent04- I would strongly suggest that you avoid THC.

I would speak somewhat about demons.  It is my belief and experience that demons are a figment of strange imaginations.  I believe that there are "unclean" spirits that are sometimes labeled as demons but such beings are much like ourselves and to see such a being would reveal that such cannot be distinguished from the appearance of any other humans.   In this mortal existence - it has always seemed to me that we are "influenced" either by clean or unclean spirits.  A clean spirit will always bring witness of Christ and will increase our understanding of Christ and his sacred covenants.  Any other contrary influence - of necessity - comes to us through the influences of unclean spirits.  It is not complicated. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

For the benefit of other readers who might stumble on this thread. Church Handbook 38.7.9

The Church opposes the use of marijuana for non-medical purposes.
The Church does not approve of smoking marijuana, including for medical purposes.

Edited by NeedleinA

13 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

What do your studies suggest is the answer?

Honestly given the benefits of THC  and how it helps thousands of people deal with multiple ailments I firmly believe there is no issue. Do people abuse it? You bet, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work for many of us. 

You have the right to not live with anxiety, stomach ailments, etc and if THC helps, I’m glad someone has found it. 

Sorry @NeedleinA. It’s not what you wanted to hear. 

29 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

work for many of us
I firmly believe there is no issue.

Does it even really matter then if the Church takes issue with it or not?
If the Church said 'don't do it', would you stop using it anyways?

Edited by NeedleinA

11 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Does it even really matter then if the Church takes issue with it or not?
If the Church said 'don't do it', would you stop using it anyways?

But....they don’t take issue with it. In fact, them saying they oppose it for “non medical” reasons heavily implies that they don’t have an issue with medicinal use. 

Personally? I’m not sure what I’d do, and I don’t worry about it. When they issue that teaching, than I’ll think about it. 

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I would strongly suggest that you avoid THC.

I agree. Besides the gospel perspective on it, I personally do not handle THC well at all, but I know plenty of people aren't as sensitive to it as I am.  I had to give it up because I mentally felt myself becoming progressively too ungrounded while using it, but, again, most people aren't as sensitive to it as I am.  I do not recommend THC to anyone with a history of paranoid schizophrenia in their family which I think is a factor in how it affected me so strongly. I'm not paranoid schizophrenic, but I still think it's a factor at play considering genetics and other family members who had that mental disease.

Edited by clbent04