When we behave as Zion

Backroads

Whenever people ask me for recommendations, I specifically ask for additional details, such as specific genre of interest, what specific bits of content they may or may not object to, and other such details. This is to help me tailor my recommendations for people. 

A lot of other individuals I've spoken with have adopted a similar stance, as there's a lot of possible entertainment content out there that on the surface might be into but that in an individual circumstance may be inappropriate. 

For example, one of my favorite comic books is Alterna Comics' "Mr. Crypt" franchise. It's a kid-friendly comedy series about a talking skeleton who just wants to get on with his afterlife but keeps getting stuck in increasingly bizarre situations (such as hunting vampires or tracking down Bigfoot). Every issue I've read so far (I'm a bit behind) is at a level an 8-year-old could hypothetically enjoy, but because it has built-in horror elements it may be a bit too spooky or intense for individual children. 

That's why so many folks now ask for details rather than just dumping recommendations. 

18 hours ago, Backroads said:

A share from a Facebook group. Struck a chore with me. Those precious times of one heart.

Screenshot_20210810-191406.png

I have a big problem with all the superheroes in that they are just as violent as the supervillain's  except superheroes are only violent towards evil individuals that deserve it.  Often their violence is justified for revenge and anger towards evil done to them or their friends.  If you do not see why I have have a problem by now - I doubt you have a firm grasp of the Good News (Gospel) of Christ that charged his disciples to do good to those are our enemy and despitefully use us.

I do not think there is much use for the superheroes of the world that are all built in the likeness of Baal who was a superhero and demigod of the ancient world that was a constant threat to the children of Israel. 

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have a big problem with all the superheroes in that they are just as violent as the supervillain's  except superheroes are only violent towards evil individuals that deserve it.  Often their violence is justified for revenge and anger towards evil done to them or their friends.  If you do not see why I have have a problem by now - I doubt you have a firm grasp of the Good News (Gospel) of Christ that charged his disciples to do good to those are our enemy and despitefully use us.

I do not think there is much use for the superheroes of the world that are all built in the likeness of Baal who was a superhero and demigod of the ancient world that was a constant threat to the children of Israel. 

The Traveler

@Traveler I’ve always admired you, and I still do,  but you can have “a firm grasp of the gospel” and still take pleasure when Superman beats Lex Luthor. He does not do it out “vengeance” he does it out of justice. 

Never forget this— a good commander leads his troops not because he hates those in front of him, but he loves those behind him. 

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

Ok boomer

22 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

If you'll recall, the Book of Mormon states that Captain Moroni was so righteous that "if all men were like unto him, the devil would have no power over the hearts of men". 

He was one of the most righteous people in the Book of Mormon, yet was also one of the most brutally effective military leaders and saw nothing wrong with tricking the Lamanites into maneuvering into poor positions. 

On 8/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, LDSGator said:

Come on dude, @Traveler is a great guy who doesn’t deserve to be dismissed like that. He makes good points, even though I disagree. 

And I’m a Gen Xer, so it doesn’t apply to me. Lol. 

20 hours ago, Ironhold said:

If you'll recall, the Book of Mormon states that Captain Moroni was so righteous that "if all men were like unto him, the devil would have no power over the hearts of men". 

He was one of the most righteous people in the Book of Mormon, yet was also one of the most brutally effective military leaders and saw nothing wrong with tricking the Lamanites into maneuvering into poor positions. 

One of the life lessons that I believe has been lost in the generations that have followed my generation is the concept of a military obligation which includes tactical training in the "art" of war and killing other human beings.  During my youth my family raised chickens and rabbits to be slaughtered for our table.  In addition we hunted and fished.  I enjoyed hunting but felt that fishing was boring and a waist of time.  I have also spent time surviving in the wild living off of and only from what nature provides.  

It can be quite traumatic or exciting to end the life for something living.   From all of our science and the best of our knowledge; life (as we understand it) is the rarest comedy of all things known to be possible in our universe.  As an expert in robotics and automation I was once involved in automating a slaughter facility.  Many from generations or experiences different from mine had difficulty working with me to automate the slaughter of living things and what is done with their physical "parts".  Very few ladies have any clue where the "protein added" in they cosmetics and personal products comes from - let alone what is involved in even "organically" grown foods and products. 

The highest from of intelligent life known - and as far as we know - exits exclusively here on earth in the creatures we call "modern" man.  I have never struggled with taking the life of anything as I had dealing with the knowledge that my orders for combat while fulling my military obligation during a time of war, would result in my taking the life of humans.  There is something in the death of human brings to those present at the moment.  I consider myself most fortunate that for the many times I have been present at someone's death that I was not the cause or determining  instrument of human death.  One of my personal concerns is what I see as a trend of human death in entertainment and the idolizing of those that are the cold instrument of it - which I believe to be far worse and exponentially more dangerous to society than sexual phonography.

As from Moroni in the Book of Mormon - I do believe that his greatest regret was the taking of human life and his primary wish was not to be known as a successful warrior but rather as a devoted servant of G-d whose greatest wish was that all would come unto Christ and be forgiven of their sins.  I do not believe he found any "delight" or entertainment in the shedding of human blood.  And I believe he suffered many and often nightmares (never any delight or entertainment) from the blood shed he was forced into experiencing.  If anyone has different experiences with the actual death of others - I would be most interesting to discover why such is found to be entertaining. 

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

One of the life lessons that I believe has been lost in the generations that have followed my generation is the concept of a military obligation which includes tactical training in the "art" of war and killing other human beings.  During my youth my family raised chickens and rabbits to be slaughtered for our table.  In addition we hunted and fished.  I enjoyed hunting but felt that fishing was boring and a waist of time.  I have also spent time surviving in the wild living off of and only from what nature provides.  

It can be quite traumatic or exciting to end the life for something living.   From all of our science and the best of our knowledge; life (as we understand it) is the rarest comedy of all things known to be possible in our universe.  As an expert in robotics and automation I was once involved in automating a slaughter facility.  Many from generations or experiences different from mine had difficulty working with me to automate the slaughter of living things and what is done with their physical "parts".  Very few ladies have any clue where the "protein added" in they cosmetics and personal products comes from - let alone what is involved in even "organically" grown foods and products. 

The highest from of intelligent life known - and as far as we know - exits exclusively here on earth in the creatures we call "modern" man.  I have never struggled with taking the life of anything as I had dealing with the knowledge that my orders for combat while fulling my military obligation during a time of war, would result in my taking the life of humans.  There is something in the death of human brings to those present at the moment.  I consider myself most fortunate that for the many times I have been present at someone's death that I was not the cause or determining  instrument of human death.  One of my personal concerns is what I see as a trend of human death in entertainment and the idolizing of those that are the cold instrument of it - which I believe to be far worse and exponentially more dangerous to society than sexual phonography.

As from Moroni in the Book of Mormon - I do believe that his greatest regret was the taking of human life and his primary wish was not to be known as a successful warrior but rather as a devoted servant of G-d whose greatest wish was that all would come unto Christ and be forgiven of their sins.  I do not believe he found any "delight" or entertainment in the shedding of human blood.  And I believe he suffered many and often nightmares (never any delight or entertainment) from the blood shed he was forced into experiencing.  If anyone has different experiences with the actual death of others - I would be most interesting to discover why such is found to be entertaining. 

The Traveler

You’ve lived an amazing life my friend. God bless you. 

On 8/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, Traveler said:

I have a big problem with all the superheroes in that they are just as violent as the supervillain's  except superheroes are only violent towards evil individuals that deserve it.  Often their violence is justified for revenge and anger towards evil done to them or their friends.

The trope of "thou shalt not kill" is hardly as absent from entertainment as Traveler thinks.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThouShaltNotKill

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

The trope of "thou shalt not kill" is hardly as absent from entertainment as Traveler thinks.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThouShaltNotKill

http://joeguide.com/summaries/second_hand_emotions/

http://joeguide.com/summaries/second_hand_emotions/misc.shtml

"Second-Hand Emotions", original air date 31 October 1986 (in most US media markets that aired the "G. I. Joe" cartoon on weekdays)

Lifeline, the team's medic, is basically a modern version of real-life war hero Desmond Doss. He's a pacifist, but enlisted to become a medic in order to help people. 

Unfortunately, his father, a Protestant minister (the denomination is never mentioned), is such an extreme pacifist that he disowned Lifeline for enlisting. The only reason he's even spoken to Lifeline after all this time is because Lifeline's little sister is getting married, and as dad is doing the ceremony Lifeline is the nearest biological male relative and tradition demands that he be the one to walk her down the aisle. 

Cobra spies have intercepted their communications, however, and have arranged to cause a scene at the wedding to humiliate the Joe team and destroy Lifeline psychologically. 

So 31 years ago we had an episode of a kids' cartoon looking at pacifism and its value during war.