Organization of other Churches

clbent04

The divinity of the organization of the Church is obvious to me.  In my experience, no other religious organization exists in the world that molds its members so effectively into learning how to love others.  Consider the participation the Church encourages of its members and how the sky is the limit in how much you want to grow in the service of others. I believe the purpose of life is to learn to love, and no other institution promotes learning how to love others more effectively than the LDS Church.

Being a member of the Church has the benefit of showing us the optimal path on how to develop love.  As members of a divinely inspired organization, we don't have to take as many detours to accomplish God's objectives for us.  LDS religious ceremonies have meaning beyond good intentions.  Ministering and missionary efforts, Family Home Evening, temple ordinances, redeeming the dead... all divinely inspired initiatives that promote love.

My opinion is the organization of the LDS Church and how it develops its members within is not only divinely inspired, it's one of a kind ; however, given my limited experience and knowledge of the world around me, I can't say definitively that the LDS Church is the only church out there that allows it's members to grow from calling to calling the way it does.  Does anyone have experience with other religions to support or invalidate my opinion that the LDS is truly unique in this regard?

Edited by clbent04

On 8/11/2021 at 4:58 PM, clbent04 said:

The divinity of the organization of the Church is obvious to me.  In my experience, no other religious organization exists in the world that molds its members so effectively into learning how to love others.  Consider the participation the Church encourages of its members and how the sky is the limit in how much you want to grow in the service of others. I believe the purpose of life is to learn to love, and no other institution promotes learning how to love others more effectively than the LDS Church.

Being a member of the Church has the benefit of showing us the optimal path on how to develop love.  As members of a divinely inspired organization, we don't have to take as many detours to accomplish God's objectives for us.  LDS religious ceremonies have meaning beyond good intentions.  Ministering and missionary efforts, Family Home Evening, temple ordinances, redeeming the dead... all divinely inspired initiatives that promote love.

My opinion is the organization of the LDS Church and how it develops its members within is not only divinely inspired, it's one of a kind ; however, given my limited experience and knowledge of the world around me, I can't say definitively that the LDS Church is the only church out there that allows it's members to grow from calling to calling the way it does.  Does anyone have experience with other religions to support or invalidate my opinion that the LDS is truly unique in this regard?

For the most part I agree.  However, I would point out that many churches do have structure where the Love of Christ is manifested.  But, unfortunately, most religious organization are set up that such experiences are primarily set up for those that enter into "the ministry" for which they must qualify before institutions of men (by definition the meaning and purpose of "Universities") and for which they are for the most part paid as it becomes their mortal "profession".  Perhaps the great exception to which I have some experience is in Buddhism.  I honestly believe that other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the closets religion to the teaching of Christ that is more prevalent throughout history is in Buddhism rather than in Christianity.   For example as Buddhism spread among civilizations of Asia in the ancient world it did so in uniting peoples in peace.  Christianity on the other hand was spread mostly through Western continents with the brutality of war and genocide.  -- Something that few Traditional Trinitarian Christians are willing to recognize - which I believe is the primary reason that atheism and agnosticism has become so prevalent in Western society.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

For the most part I agree.  However, I would point out that many churches do have structure where the Love of Christ is manifested.  But, unfortunately, most religious organization are set up that such experiences are primarily set up for those that enter into "the ministry" for which they must qualify before institutions of men (by definition the meaning and purpose of "Universities") and for which they are for the most part paid as it becomes their mortal "profession".  Perhaps the great exception to which I have some experience is in Buddhism.  I honestly believe that other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the closets religion to the teaching of Christ that is more prevalent throughout history is in Buddhism rather than in Christianity.   For example as Buddhism spread among civilizations of Asia in the ancient world it did so in uniting peoples in peace.  Christianity on the other hand was spread mostly through Western continents with the brutality of war and genocide.  -- Something that few Traditional Trinitarian Christians are willing to recognize - which I believe is the primary reason that atheism and agnosticism has become so prevalent in Western society.

The Traveler

That is something worth considering. Thank you for sharing that. 

One thing I’ve seen several secular articles remark upon, is the fact that LDS congregations are geographically based and members don’t get to ward-hop to a congregation whose society they find more congenial.  I think maybe that’s given us an ethos of “stay where you are and make it work” that varies from the broader “find somewhere that works for you” culture; and in areas with a low density of Church members, it means that you’re probably more likely to have regular associations and friendships with people who are experientially/economically/ politically/professionally/racially different than yourself.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 8/11/2021 at 6:58 PM, clbent04 said:

Does anyone have experience with other religions to support or invalidate my opinion that the LDS is truly unique in this regard?

I am not invalidating anything you say but I will add some comments.

Jesus commissioned and gave authority to his church to preach the gospel and to 
make disciples. I do not rely on nor need the permission of any church leader to 
go to any country of my choosing to preach the gospel and baptize people.  If it
does not interfere with another biblically sound church in that area, I can even
establish a home church (with or without the permission of the communist regime
if I were to to go there).

In my present circumstances, I am allowed to attend any church, even if it not in 
my geographical area.  But some churches have registered members or elders and you 
must be approved for this.  They do this to further protect the doctrinal integrity 
should apostasy try to drive the church in the wrong direction.  But elders are 
allowed to be elders at other churches of their choosing too (if they are qualified).

As for what @Traveler said.  I do support formal theological seminary, but it may 
only be required if some institutions require some form of proven education. For 
example, a school in my country would not hire a teacher without the proper
accreditation and/or experience.  As for a church environment, you can easily tell 
the spiritual maturity of a person when they get up to the podium and begin to speak.

15 hours ago, romans8 said:

I am not invalidating anything you say but I will add some comments.

Jesus commissioned and gave authority to his church to preach the gospel and to 
make disciples. I do not rely on nor need the permission of any church leader to 
go to any country of my choosing to preach the gospel and baptize people.  If it
does not interfere with another biblically sound church in that area, I can even
establish a home church (with or without the permission of the communist regime
if I were to to go there).

In my present circumstances, I am allowed to attend any church, even if it not in 
my geographical area.  But some churches have registered members or elders and you 
must be approved for this.  They do this to further protect the doctrinal integrity 
should apostasy try to drive the church in the wrong direction.  But elders are 
allowed to be elders at other churches of their choosing too (if they are qualified).

As for what @Traveler said.  I do support formal theological seminary, but it may 
only be required if some institutions require some form of proven education. For 
example, a school in my country would not hire a teacher without the proper
accreditation and/or experience.  As for a church environment, you can easily tell 
the spiritual maturity of a person when they get up to the podium and begin to speak.

According to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the greatest divine gift is our agency - to think and believe what we will.  The overarching principle of such teaching is that we are the author and the one that determines our eternal destiny.  Though we speak of G-d's judgments as our destiny - we LDS regard that our agency alone determines our destiny and that the Atonement of Christ is the means by which our agency becomes official and final.  Therefore, though I may personally disagree with a great many opinions - I fully believe that G-d himself makes it possible that everyone is granted by right to have whatever opinion they choose.

Though you think you have the right to act as though you are G-d to preach and baptize with his authority - I am skeptical.   It is recorded in scripture that not every one that claims to speak as G-d (or in the name of G-d) have that power actually given to them.  Jesus said of such (not everyone that claims to speak in his name) that he does not know them.  I believe that is a bit of a mistranslation.  Obviously G-d (and Jesus is our only example of G-d) knows all things.  Many scholars believe that particular verse should say, "I did not authorize them."   Jesus authorized his apostles - there is no indication in scriptures that he authorized any Church.  Speaking of this the scriptures testify that Jesus spoke on this matter saying that he, "Called and ordained" them.  In addition many early Christians recognized the unique power given to Peter keys to made it possible that what was sealed (ordinances performed) on earth would be recognized in heaven.  This unique power was not given to other religious leaders that were according to the promises made by G-d to Abraham or Moses and Aaron that lived among the Jews as their spiritual leaders.

As for theological seminaries - such were introduced during the Dark Ages by the emperor Charlemagne.   He argued that those that preach for G-d ought to follow the pattern established by the earlier Pagans (not Christ nor his Apostles) and be taught at credited places of learning.  I personally find Charlemagne and his carriage of entire populations (men, women and children) that opposed the Christian teaching of his time to be perhaps the greatest example of war and genocide to spread not a true Gospel of Christ but rather a obvious counterfeit.  

I believe Jesus said we would know his disciples by their love for others (one another).  Those that initiate war and genocide hardly qualify - my opinion.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, Traveler said:

Jesus said of such (not everyone that claims to speak in his name) that he does not know them.  I believe that is a bit of a mistranslation.  Obviously G-d (and Jesus is our only example of G-d) knows all things.  Many scholars believe that particular verse should say, "I did not authorize them."   Jesus authorized his apostles - there is no indication in scriptures that he authorized any Church.

I would agree. That is why I do not accept the claim by the Roman Catholic Church that it
is the only true church of Christ.

In addition many early Christians recognized the unique power given to Peter keys to 

made it possible that what was sealed (ordinances performed) on earth would be recognized in 
heaven

These keys were given to all the disciples (see Matthew 18:1-2; 18).

I believe Jesus said we would know his disciples by their love for others (one 

another).  Those that initiate war and genocide hardly qualify - my opinion.

The apostle Paul and others would add "true doctrine" to sign of genuine Christianity.

Matteo

Edited by romans8