Musicals

The Folk Prophet

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

@LDSGator I can't remember if we've discussed this one before, but what's your take on Hamilton?

To be fair, I have not seen it live. So take this with a grain of salt. While I can see why people like it, I don’t really understand why it’s SO popular. There are better musicals out there, like Be More Chill and the stunning Dear Evan Hansen. 

2 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

To be fair, I have not seen it live. So take this with a grain of salt. While I can see why people like it, I don’t really understand why it’s SO popular. There are better musicals out there, like Be More Chill and the stunning Dear Evan Hansen. 

I haven't seen it live either. But I did see the filmed stage version on Disney+.

I cannot understand why people like it. I REALLY don't understand why it's SO popular. I think it's awful.

Yes, I accept there are some well crafted things therein. Yes, there are even a few musical moments that are great. For the most part it's not great music (when it has actual music), and I don't understand why anyone likes hip hop at all.

I don't mean that as a one off here or there, like whenever I hear rap I immediately throw up or something. A rap song can work. A rap breakdown in a song can work. But a whole show of it? TOO MUCH.

But even putting aside those distastes (because they are, after all, taste, which is going to differ for different people), I felt like the character arch of the main character (Hamilton, of course) was very flat. His character arch was that he was a bit of an ambitious jerk who committed adultery and then got himself killed because he was an ambitious jerk. That's not a compelling story arch to me.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

I haven't seen it live either. But I did see the filmed stage version on Disney+.

I cannot understand why people like it. I REALLY don't understand why it's SO popular. I think it's awful.

Yes, I accept there are some well crafted things therein. Yes, there are even a few musical moments that are great. For the most part it's not great music (when it has actual music), and I don't understand why anyone likes hip hop at all.

I don't mean that as a one off here or there, like whenever I hear rap I immediately throw up or something. A rap song can work. A rap breakdown in a song can work. But a whole show of it? TOO MUCH.

But even putting aside those distastes (because they are, after all, taste, which is going to differ for different people), I felt like the character arch of the main character (Hamilton, of course) was very flat. His character arch was that he was a bit of an ambitious jerk who committed adultery and then got himself killed because he was an ambitious jerk. That's not a compelling story arch to me.

All totally legit critiques, 100%. 

Guest Godless

I grew up in a household that loves Le Mis. Like, all of us, inexplicably. Overall, I thought the movie version was okay, but I hated Russell Crowe as Javert. Keep in mind, this is the voice of Javert that I grew up with:

8 minutes ago, Godless said:

I grew up in a household that loves Le Mis. Like, all of us, inexplicably. Overall, I thought the movie version was okay, but I hated Russell Crowe as Javert. Keep in mind, this is the voice of Javert that I grew up with:

So I was watching a youtube thing on the movie. So even Hugh Jackman, who is, reasonably speaking, a good singer who's done broadway type shows a lot, etc. was absolutely terrible as a singer in it. Apparently, in order to get the realistic starved look, he went through the same sort of crazy ordeal to get lean for it that body builders use, which is brutal to energy levels. And then because of the decision to film all the singing live on camera instead of pre-recording or something, they're singing for 8 hours a day, doing different takes...but you can't cut takes the same way you can in a normal movie because of the singing...so whole songs over and over again. And then the choices to really prioritize the "acting" instead of singing. And he's just terrible. He speak sings half of it. He's pitchy. His voice is unpleasant. And his rendition of Bring Him Home was the worst version I've ever heard of it.

Anne Hathoway -- same sort of thing. She starved herself to look starved. Then cried for real through her singing. And whereas it was, in her case, some pretty moving acting, as a listening experience it's not very nice. Her I dreamed a dream was, at least, very powerful as an acting experience. So I'll give her that.

Russell Crowe was, indeed, woefully miscast though. I don't think even pre-recording things would have helped there.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I listened to the Hamilton soundtrack quite a few times after it came out.  (I really liked hip-hop in the 90's which definitely influenced me on my taste for Hamilton.)  I like the music and the lyrics a lot.  To me, it is a different form of poetry. 

I've seen the show live, and I really enjoyed it.  I haven't watched it on Disney +, mostly because when I do have time to myself to watch a show, I'm trying to catch up on MCU shows (wow, WandaVision, F&WS, and Loki....wow)

Just now, LDSGator said:

my favorite version of I Dreamed A Dream. 

I love Lea Salonga. But in this case...I honestly prefer the other versions better. Original Cast recording, Broadway, 10th anniversary (Ruthie Henshall -- probably my favorite). I love Lea Salonga in Miss Saigon and Aladdin and Mulan and the like. But her voice works better as a young love interest type character than it does as a tortured starving mother. Her voice is too sweet. Don't get me wrong. She's great. Just not my, personal, favorite. 

Just now, dprh said:

I listened to the Hamilton soundtrack quite a few times after it came out.  (I really liked hip-hop in the 90's which definitely influenced me on my taste for Hamilton.)  I like the music and the lyrics a lot.  To me, it is a different form of poetry. 

I've seen the show live, and I really enjoyed it.  I haven't watched it on Disney +, mostly because when I do have time to myself to watch a show, I'm trying to catch up on MCU shows (wow, WandaVision, F&WS, and Loki....wow)

Give it a watch. It's definitely worth a watch -- especially if you're a fan already.

I'm probably too harsh on it. There are some real genius things in the show.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I love Lea Salonga. But in this case...I honestly prefer the other versions better. Original Cast recording, Broadway, 10th anniversary (Ruthie Henshall -- probably my favorite). I love Lea Salonga in Miss Saigon and Aladdin and Mulan and the like. But her voice works better as a young love interest type character than it does as a tortured starving mother. Her voice is too sweet. Don't get me wrong. She's great. Just not my, personal, favorite. 

Understand totally where you are coming from. 

Just now, LDSGator said:
Just now, dprh said:

To me, it is a different form of poetry. 

That’s a very interesting description, and one I can totally accept. 

It's pretty low level poetry though. A bunch of "fancy" rhymes. :D

Well...okay...there's more to it than that I guess. He does, after all, sing about his "One shot" -- and then he actually gets, you know....shot in the end. So that's poetic. A bit on the nose, of course. But...

9 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Give it a watch. It's definitely worth a watch -- especially if you're a fan already.

I'm probably too harsh on it. There are some real genius things in the show.

I can understand the criticism.  I struggle with listening to most country music, really just prejudices carried over from my youth.  If there was a country musical (is there one?) I'd have no interest in it, regardless of how popular it was.

Hamilton does have a lot fun word play.  The first that comes to mind is the bit where Hamilton first approaches Burr (sir) and admits to punching the Bursar.

Guest Godless
23 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

So I was watching a youtube thing on the movie. So even Hugh Jackman, who is, reasonably speaking, a good singer who's done broadway type shows a lot, etc. was absolutely terrible as a singer in it. Apparently, in order to get the realistic starved look, he went through the same sort of crazy ordeal to get lean for it that body builders use, which is brutal to energy levels. And then because of the decision to film all the singing live on camera instead of pre-recording or something, they're singing for 8 hours a day, doing different takes...but you can't cut takes the same way you can in a normal movie because of the singing...so whole songs over and over again. And then the choices to really prioritize the "acting" instead of singing. And he's just terrible. He speak sings half of it. He's pitchy. His voice is unpleasant. And his rendition of Bring Him Home was the worst version I've ever heard of it.

Anne Hathoway -- same sort of thing. She starved herself to look starved. Then cried for real through her singing. And whereas it was, in her case, some pretty moving acting, as a listening experience it's not very nice. Her I dreamed a dream was, at least, very powerful as an acting experience. So I'll give her that.

Russell Crowe was, indeed, woefully miscast though. I don't think even pre-recording things would have helped there.

Most of the performances didn't bother me much because I knew going in how the singing was recorded and adjusted my expectations accordingly. But you're right, even pre-recording wouldn't have saved Crowe's Javert.

4 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

@The Folk Prophet @dprh-thoughts on Wicked? I’ll be totally upfront, Defying Gravity is a big time guilty pleasure song for me. 

Ah...Wicked. Yes. Well..... not a fan.

I was just joking about prejudice...and..... I think I have prejudice there. So take the following in the joking way it's meant:

This will sound totally funny, seeing as we're talking about musicals, and a lot of people would claim this of all of them.... but... There are certain musicals that just feel..... gay.

Yes....I know.... TOTALLY not PC to say that. But it's just like....you know.... people who love Liza Minelli and Barbara Streisand and..... Wicked.

Just not to my taste, artistically speaking.

Well...to be fair, Barbara Streisand's sheer, amazing, talent kind of transcends any of that. It's hard to not like something of hers somewhere. But maybe you get my point. Or maybe you don't.

Just now, LDSGator said:

That’s sometimes all it takes. 

On a more serious note of reply:

First, Stephen Schwarts might be the worst pro lyricist ever. As a composer...meh.

But really, other than Defying Gravity....what really great music does Wicked have? It's okay. But....yeah. Meh.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

On a more serious note of reply:

First, Stephen Schwarts might be the worst pro lyricist ever. As a composer...meh.

But really, other than Defying Gravity....what really great music does Wicked have? It's okay. But....yeah. Meh.

My wife is a huge Wizard of Oz fan, so we’ve heard it several times. Haven’t seen it live yet. 

Just now, LDSGator said:

My wife is a huge Wizard of Oz fan, so we’ve heard it several times. Haven’t seen it live yet. 

On a side-note re: Schwartz as a lyricist.... the one time I really liked his lyrics was in Enchanted. Why? Because terrible lyrics and rhyme schemes fit the silliness of it so well. Enchanted was making fun of people breaking out in song...so awful lyrics worked very well.

3 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I haven't seen it either. So I'm only commenting on the music. Maybe seeing it I'd find it great.

That's the case sometimes. For example... Miss Saigon's worst number by far, musically, is The American Dream. I first knew the show from the soundtrack, and listened to it all the time. I'd often skip that song. I didn't understand why they put such a terrible song in there.

Then I saw it in London. The American Dream was a show stopper standing ovation number! It worked in the show. It worked with the dancing and the spectacle and all that. It just.....worked. But on the cast recording it stunk and still does. So....

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I haven't seen it either. So I'm only commenting on the music. Maybe seeing it I'd find it great.

That's the case sometimes. For example... Miss Saigon's worst number by far, musically, is The American Dream. I first knew the show from the soundtrack, and listened to it all the time. I'd often skip that song. I didn't understand why they put such a terrible song in there.

Then I saw it in London. The American Dream was a show stopper standing ovation number! It worked in the show. It worked with the dancing and the spectacle and all that. It just.....worked. But on the cast recording it stunk and still does. So....

What musicals have you personally preformed in? 

4 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

What musicals have you personally preformed in? 

Not a ton. Let's see...

Hello Dolly. L'il Abner. Anything Goes. And...hmm. A play my mom wrote for our ward when I was a teenager.

Keep in mind. I'm a composer. Not a performer.

That being said, I do have a youtube channel where I sing some of the stuff I've written and am writing. I'll PM you the link if you want to check it out.