Musicals

The Folk Prophet

On 4/26/2022 at 5:22 PM, mordorbund said:

I seem to remember the director of the 1961 version saying he changed the song order for reasons similar to what you’re describing. After the rumble it was supposed to be Officer Krumpke. The director decides it’s too silly. That just escalated their gang war to a precipice you don’t climb down from….. and they’re going to play dress up? So he puts Cool there instead.

So apparently we're both mistaken here.

In the original show the Rumble ends the first Act. The 2nd Act then opens with I Feel Pretty. It is true that Officer Krumpke is in the 2nd Act, and in the 1961 move it was moved before the Rumble, but just as in the new movie, I Feel Pretty followed the Rumble. However, it was an Act change, with intermission between, which works okay.

Interestingly enough, Somewhere was also a solo sung by a character named Consuelo with a Company dance behind it.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Story

Act 1[edit]

• "Prologue" – Orchestra, danced by Jets & Sharks
  • "Jet Song" – Riff & Jets
  • "Something's Coming" – Tony
  • "The Dance at the Gym" – Orchestra, danced by Jets & Sharks
  • "Maria" – Tony
  • "Tonight" – Tony & Maria
  • "America" – Anita, Rosalia & Shark Girls
  • "Cool" – Riff & Jets
  • "One Hand, One Heart" – Tony & Maria
  • "Tonight (Quintet & Chorus)" – Riff, Jets, Bernardo, Sharks, Anita, Tony & Maria
  • "The Rumble" – Orchestra, danced by Riff, Bernardo, Sharks & Jets

Act 2[edit]

I guess the point being that what Stephen Spielberg did is apparently actually more in line with the original show.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love looking over song titles of new musical recordings. I also love putting together song titles early as it helps me with outlining the show, etc.,  So anyhow, who knows, maybe one or two of you will enjoy looking over this planned song list for one of the musicals I'm currently writing.

282032652_10228556782335022_174098766494

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

He loves it….. second only to the Taylor Swift jukebox musical he’s crafting in his head.

Lol. That’s awesome. 

I’m in the middle on Cats. It’s not the best musical I’ve ever seen. And it’s not the worst either. I don’t really understand the hate, and yes, the original source material is better 

20 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I’m in the middle on Cats. It’s not the best musical I’ve ever seen. And it’s not the worst either. I don’t really understand the hate

Aaaaand what exactly did you think of the movie?  I hear you went twice...

On 6/13/2022 at 6:52 PM, LDSGator said:

@The Folk Prophet-do you have any feelings about the musical Cats? 

On 6/14/2022 at 2:32 PM, mordorbund said:

He loves it….. second only to the Taylor Swift jukebox musical he’s crafting in his head.

The musical itself? Or the movie?

So interestingly enough..... I rather enjoyed the movie. I know it's got issues. But....I dunno. I enjoyed it weirdly.

The musical itself...it's not great as a music experience. But not terrible. But as a show including sets and dancing and everything I get why it's fun and did well.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

rather enjoyed the movie. I know it's got issues. But....I dunno. I enjoyed it weirdly.

No joke, that’s how I feel about the movie Waterworld. Is it a great artistic movie? Oh goodness no. Do I still enjoy it? You betcha.