What's a popular word, saying or phrase you can't stand?

Suzie

On 9/4/2021 at 5:17 PM, Suzie said:

What's yours?

Also, the phrase "I'm all about it!" drives me batty. Met this most obnoxious girl once that tried talking like a "bro", and every other sentence was finished with her exclamation, "I'm all about it!"

Edited by clbent04

"As far as I'm concerned..."

Usually said by a person with power/authority who has totally misunderstood a situation (especially in a manner that makes you look silly/guilty) and refuses to be corrected.

Back when I was at school, the history teacher gave a talk about Copernicus, in which he:

• Conflated the idea of geocentrism with the idea that the earth is flat.
  • Stated that heliocentrism was the last word in cosmology, and that even the most distant galaxies "relied upon our sun".

When I challenged him, he told me to go and check my facts. (I felt like asking him to "check his facts" concerning the year of the Battle of Hastings!) The next lesson I brought in an astronomy book by Patrick Moore and showed it to him, but he insisted that this was "just Patrick Moore's opinion". When I continued to argue he sent me back to my desk saying: "As far as I'm concerned the sun is in the centre of the universe". He really wasn't interested in learning anything new.

https://movie-sounds.org/famous-movie-samples/quotes-with-sound-clips-from-willy-wonka-the-chocolate-factory/and-for-a-student-to-teach-his-teacher-is-presumptuous-and-rude-do-my-make-myself-clear-yes-sir-good

For the record, the idea that the sun is not the centre of the universe, but is merely another star, and that other stars may also have planetary systems independent of ours, goes back to Giordiano Bruno (1548-1600). (He was burned at the stake by the Catholic Church - though not so much for his astronomical beliefs but because he denied the Trinity.)

Edited by Jamie123

6 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

One that always works is: "I don't wish to be pedantic, but..." [and then say something pedantic].

Everything works that way:
"I don't mean to sound racist, but every time I say 'I don't mean to sound racist.', I sound pretty racist."
"Not to butt in, but... *proceeds to butt in*"

For me, it's "With all due respect."

The moment that's said, it means there isn't any respect due.

9 minutes ago, FunkyTown said:

"I don't mean to sound racist, but every time I say 'I don't mean to sound racist.', I sound pretty racist."

It's in the Geneva Convention

1 hour ago, FunkyTown said:

It's better to say "with the greatest respect..." before saying something disrespectful.

Pontificating about “love” by pretty much any modern entertainer, academic, and/or clinician.  Given the endless procession of failed relationships most of those bozos have participated in, I can’t think of a group in the past three centuries that is less qualified to advise us on human relationships. 

Pontificating about “love” by pretty much any modern entertainer, academic, and/or clinician.  Given the endless procession of failed relationships most of those bozos have participated in, I can’t think of a group in the past three centuries that is less qualified to advise us on human relationships. 

Totally get you. I loveee that answer JAG, it's like the best thing everrrr.

Social distancing

Irregardless (it’s regardless, not irregardless)

“Reach out” as in,  “I’ll reach out to the offshore team to review the test scenarios.” - Why can’t we just say “contact?”  

“Table it for now” - Just say, “Let’s come back to that later.”

”Let’s circle back later” - See above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, FunkyTown said:

For me, it's "With all due respect.

Same. That’s always before the killshot.

I dislike it when someone says “X is a good person.” In 99% of cases, good people don’t have to be labeled as “good”, and just by saying that, I think “X” probably isn’t a good person 

Edited by LDSGator

On 9/13/2021 at 2:26 AM, Jamie123 said:

flat,800x800,070,f.u1.jpg

Did someone say “Lemon Squeezy”?

:D

Another pet peeve—and maybe I’m just getting jaded because of my profession—but the ratio of people who invoke the phrase “for the children!” versus the people who are actually willing to do hard things for the welfare of those same children, is something on the order of ten to one.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I hate the saying:  "I gave 110%."

It's stupid.  No one can give more than 100% and many times when people say that they gave far less than 100%.

I also hate when Windows 10 is loading software updates and the screen says 100% completed and the updates are still loading.  You mean it is 99% because the updates are not completed.  Windows 10 is not a good operating system anyway in my opinion and this is one of the many things that annoys me about the software.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:38 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

Another pet peeve—and maybe I’m just getting jaded because of my profession—but the ratio of people who invoke the phrase “for the children!” versus the people who are actually willing to do hard things for the welfare of those same children, is something on the order of ten to one.