What's a popular word, saying or phrase you can't stand?

Suzie

On 9/28/2021 at 7:04 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I hate the saying:  "I gave 110%."

It's stupid.  No one can give more than 100% and many times when people say that they gave far less than 100%.

I also hate when Windows 10 is loading software updates and the screen says 100% completed and the updates are still loading.  You mean it is 99% because the updates are not completed.  Windows 10 is not a good operating system anyway in my opinion and this is one of the many things that annoys me about the software.

So it depends on when you're applying it.

A beginner weightlifter might be able to deadlift 150 kg but, in the course of getting ready for his first competition, increases in muscle mass to the point that he's lifting 165 kg.

Through great effort, he gave 110% of his initial achievement. His effort may have remained at 100%, but he didn't say "I gave 100% of my potential willpower." but rather "I worked so hard that I gained an increase of 10% over my previous maximum."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/29/2021 at 12:02 AM, Comp said:

You know that . . ." - I think it's rude and condescending to say this

I was endowed two days after HS graduation. A week later I was in the MTC. Prior to flying to my mission, I had gone through the temple only 3 or 4 times. A year and a half later I was serving near a temple and was able to attend. While there, I had a question. I think I was trying to remember whether I was supposed to wear my socks or shoes. I asked a temple worker and answered my questions and finished with “Common elder… you know better”

It was a very annoying situation. But it did help me vow to never be condescending like that to anyone.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, Suzie said:

"lemon squeezy"

Wow, you just added a new one to my list! Lemon squeezy, really? 🤐

I bought some kitchen towels this past summer that had pictures of lemons and the saying “Easy Peazy, Lemon Squeezy”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 5:57 PM, Fether said:

“Treat every day like it is your last”

We would be homeless if I did this.

I disagree. It doesn't mean "make no provision for tomorrow" but "spend your day so that if tonight you find you must lay your life down, you will have no regrets"

• 1 month later...

"If I can do it, anyone (or you) can do it."  Well thank you for being dismissive of how I'm feeling and what difficulty I'm having.

"It is what it is."  Talk about a phrase that shuts down any change. 

and my #1 phrase that I absolutely hate and I've heard many times...

"I feel so bad that I was the cause of even one drop of blood the Savior had to endure."  Say what?  What a way to broadcast that you have no understanding of not only scripture, but of the Atonement.  Beside, it is a statement of one's self-righteous "look at how pious" I am foolishness.

"It is what it is." This is usually said with such a profound undertone, when it actually means nothing. Perhaps it means we should just accept things as they are, but if so, how defeatist is that?

Ah well...I guess it's good enough for government work (another gem).