The Holy War

mirkwood

On 9/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, JohnsonJones said:

Normally I don't follow BYU football all that much, especially as a Georgia Fan (it appears that we are going to be #2 again this week...which is far better than Utah or BYU) but as this thread has raised them to my awareness, while glancing down a list I saw that BYU appears to be ranked as high as #15 on some lists.

I remember when we moved to Georgia after college. The first thing everyone in the Ward wanted to know was Georgia or Georgia Tech?!? Football was at a whole new level there.

4 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

The old saying that college football is a religion down here is still true. 

Oh, the disappointment on people's faces when I told them I was in grad school at Tech ;)

But that was the year they tied for the National Championship so I guess it worked out all right. Tells you how old I am 😎

5 minutes ago, clwnuke said:

Oh, the disappointment on people's faces when I told them I was in grad school at Tech ;)

But that was the year they tied for the National Championship so I guess it worked out all right. Tells you how old I am 😎

My father worked for a company in Sandersville for twenty years, so I know what you mean about the rivalry. Clean old fashioned hate  

2 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

My father worked for a company in Sandersville for twenty years, so I know what you mean about the rivalry. Clean old fashioned hate  

We were north off of 20 in a little town called Lithonia. I had a cousin in Snellville back then too. My home teaching companion was the first Temple President in the Atlanta Temple, Bro. Joyner. Loved it there. Wished we could have stayed but jobs were scarce at the time.

18 minutes ago, clwnuke said:

We were north off of 20 in a little town called Lithonia. I had a cousin in Snellville back then too. My home teaching companion was the first Temple President in the Atlanta Temple, Bro. Joyner. Loved it there. Wished we could have stayed but jobs were scarce at the time.

That’s awesome. Georgia is a great state. 

I attended both BYU and UofU. I graduated from UofU. Hubby and I used to buy Utah football season tickets. I cheer for both teams. But, when Utah and the Y play each other I admit I am more for BYU than Utah. My experience has been that the rivalry is intense. Some of it is good natured, and I don’t mind that. It’s when it feels like hatred, that it becomes uncomfortable. Quarterback Max Hall’s statement of how much he hated Utah was inappropriate. BYU then had their long losing streak to Utah. Kind of kidding here, but I have to admit I have wondered if the Lord was punishing the Y for such unchristian behavior.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, clwnuke said:

How long ago.

Was that when we were all still in the Tucker Stake?

It's been broken up quite a bit since then, but it may be that we were in the same Stake at some point earlier in life.

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

How long ago.

Was that when we were all still in the Tucker Stake?

It's been broken up quite a bit since then, but it may be that we were in the same Stake at some point earlier in life.

89-91 time frame. If I remember right we started in the Conyers ward (the Bishop was an airline pilot), and then they created the Stockbridge Ward. I believe it was the Jonesboro Stake at that time. Need to check notes at home.

Edited by clwnuke
date change

10 hours ago, classylady said:

I attended both BYU and UofU. I graduated from UofU. Hubby and I used to buy Utah football season tickets. I cheer for both teams. But, when Utah and the Y play each other I admit I am more for BYU than Utah. My experience has been that the rivalry is intense. Some of it is good natured, and I don’t mind that. It’s when it feels like hatred, that it becomes uncomfortable. Quarterback Max Hall’s statement of how much he hated Utah was inappropriate. BYU then had their long losing streak to Utah. Kind of kidding here, but I have to admit I have wondered if the Lord was punishing the Y for such unchristian behavior.

There are few things that embarrass me more than watching a BYU game and seeing poor sportsmanship. Great coaches teach their players that you can demand excellence from yourself and still be a class act on the field. I'm right with you @classylady .

1 hour ago, clwnuke said:

There are few things that embarrass me more than watching a BYU game and seeing poor sportsmanship. Great coaches teach their players that you can demand excellence from yourself and still be a class act on the field. I'm right with you @classylady .

I agree that sportsmanship is important, and you want to walk the line, but sports are also meant to be fun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with good natured teasing, playful taunting, etc. 

Again, you don’t want to cross a line. Making fun of race, gender, etc-totally inappropriate. But if you (generic) can’t handle bragging and teasing, you shouldn’t follow sports. 

To continue with what I’m saying, I’m big into combat sports. No, I’m not professional, and yes, it’s “just” a hobby. Karate, Taekwando, and boxing. Though to be clear, I only take Taekwando lessons now. 

I’ve lost way more matches than I’m won. In fact, I’ve had people gloat over me when I’ve been knocked down. Does it hurt? Not really. It makes me a better athlete and a better person. It makes me train harder and want to shut them up so it doesn’t happen again. After all, the best way to shut the other guy up is to beat him. Who cares what he says if I won the gold medal and he won the silver? 

So, to some degree, taunting and unsportsmanlike behavior can actually HELP your opponent toughen up and get better. 

Edited by LDSGator

57 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I agree that sportsmanship is important, and you want to walk the line, but sports are also meant to be fun. There is absolutely nothing wrong with good natured teasing, playful taunting, etc. 

Again, you don’t want to cross a line. Making fun of race, gender, etc-totally inappropriate. But if you (generic) can’t handle bragging and teasing, you shouldn’t follow sports. 

I'm good with that. If you stuff a running back, you flex like your on Muscle Beach, and then you reach down and help the running back up. I think that still qualifies as good sportsmanship.

4 hours ago, clwnuke said:

89-91 time frame. If I remember right we started in the Conyers ward (the Bishop was an airline pilot), and then they created the Stockbridge Ward. I believe it was the Jonesboro Stake at that time. Need to check notes at home.

That makes sense.  I can't recall when they changed up the Stakes, but I recall a time when Georgia had around 3 stakes total (if memory serves right).  It  has grown tremendously since that time. 

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

That makes sense.  I can't recall when they changed up the Stakes, but I recall a time when Georgia had around 3 stakes total (if memory serves right).  It  has grown tremendously since that time. 

@JohnsonJones-you are a Bulldogs fan, right? 

In my dating days I loved dating Georgia girls. You know why? 

they never expected a ring!!!!!!

😈

I will always cheer against byu. I was told by everyone at church that it's the Lord's school and if you are a good member, then you go to byu and cheer for them. 

It left a bad taste in my mouth and I will always be against them.

I will say it was better for the other teams in the pac12 that Utah lost.  That's the only good thing I can say about the last utah/byu game.  

3 hours ago, LadyGunnar said:

I will always cheer against byu. I was told by everyone at church that it's the Lord's school and if you are a good member, then you go to byu and cheer for them. 

It left a bad taste in my mouth and I will always be against them.

I will say it was better for the other teams in the pac12 that Utah lost.  That's the only good thing I can say about the last utah/byu game.  

Does BYU have a “holier than thou” reputation among members who did not go there? 

I graduated from UNH, so no dog in the fight here. 

8 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

I was told that by so many people. I don't know if they went there. It just made me dislike byu. 

I didn't go there. I have siblings who did. 

Sorry to hear that. I don’t really know anyone who went to BYU (that I know of) so I can’t judge one way or another. 

U of Utah graduates haven’t impressed me much though. @mirkwood can’t even read.