Stewardship vs Trust vs Joe-Schmoe

Fether

Assuming it’s a normal situation and you have access to everyone on your ward and all your friends, when seeking a priesthood blessing should you seek out a person you trust, someone who has stewardship (father, ministering brothers, or priesthood leader), or does it not matter, any priesthood holding joe-schmoe will do?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that it doesn’t matter at all; but I don’t think there’s a problem with asking a trusted friend or sibling to do the blessing instead of someone in the traditional stewardship/line of authority (husband or father or home teacher or whatever).

This is something I've wondered about. Theoretically any worthy priesthood holder will do. But does not the level of faith of those doing the administering matter? If it does then the efficacy of the blessing is subjective to who we choose. Also, is the spiritual gift of healing the sick automatically bestowed upon every Melchizedek priesthood holder? Perhaps the authority to do so but what the power to do so? Power is never automatic. I have not actually come to a firm conclusion but there does seem to be anecdotal evidence that suggests the person performing the ordinance matters. 

2 hours ago, Fether said:

Assuming it’s a normal situation and you have access to everyone on your ward and all your friends, when seeking a priesthood blessing should you seek out a person you trust, someone who has stewardship (father, ministering brothers, or priesthood leader), or does it not matter, any priesthood holding joe-schmoe will do?

I think it matters, but WHY is down to personal thoughts on the matter.

The blessing CAN be fulfilled based upon the faith of the one receiving the blessing...

On the otherhand, the inspiration on what to say for the blessing MAY be based upon the faith of the one GIVING the blessing.

Just a personal thought.

5 hours ago, laronius said:

This is something I've wondered about. Theoretically any worthy priesthood holder will do. But does not the level of faith of those doing the administering matter? If it does then the efficacy of the blessing is subjective to who we choose. Also, is the spiritual gift of healing the sick automatically bestowed upon every Melchizedek priesthood holder? Perhaps the authority to do so but what the power to do so? Power is never automatic. I have not actually come to a firm conclusion but there does seem to be anecdotal evidence that suggests the person performing the ordinance matters. 

My main question is who to seek for when it comes to getting a blessing. Someone who has  Stewardship, someone who knows you and has spiritual strength, or does it not matter?

I have a friend who has been needing regular priesthood blessings. They only seem to ask friends instead of those who have stewardship over them. 

My approach has always been the opposite, to follow the stewardship so I can get as close to the keys that are over me… though I don’t have a strong defense for why this is best. It is just what I feel best about.

Edited by Fether

55 minutes ago, Fether said:

My main question is who to seek for when it comes to getting a blessing. Someone who has  Stewardship, someone who knows you and has spiritual strength, or does it not matter?

I have a friend who has been needing regular priesthood blessings. They only seem to ask friends instead of those who have stewardship over them. 

My approach has always been the opposite, to follow the stewardship so I can get as close to the keys that are over me… though I don’t have a strong defense for why this is best. It is just what I feel best about.

I know of no counsel or direction pointing us one way or the other. Though if it is an ongoing problem being dealt with making sure those with stewardship are in the loop would be important, especially those with keys, that they might give inspired counsel or assistance. Otherwise I think family is actually where we should look to first but after that I don't know that it matters, unless as I previously posted about greater power being manifest through certain individuals. 

I have asked for/needed blessings several times throughout my life.  Many times I've asked a bishop/friend/family member/etc.  Once I asked someone who I figured would benefit from giving a blessing.   Once the the ambulance people were working on me, and someone just appeared out of nowhere.  (And yes, his name was Joe, actually.)

I don't think any of these can be ranked in any meaningful way, other than drawing a big circle named "important/sacred", and putting them all in the circle.

Edited by NeuroTypical

19 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I have asked for/needed blessings several times throughout my life.  Many times I've asked a bishop/friend/family member/etc.  Once I asked someone who I figured would benefit from giving a blessing.   Once the the ambulance people were working on me, and someone just appeared out of nowhere.  (And yes, his name was Joe, actually.)

I don't think any of these can be ranked in any meaningful way, other than drawing a big circle named "important/sacred", and putting them all in the circle.

I agree, I think every blessing can be sacred. I’m just curious if there is a general order to things. I remember hearing once that we should try to get as close to the keys over us as possible. That means ministering brother, then elders quorum President, then bishop

Oh hey, if it was up to me, I'd prefer to be personally ministered to by angelic representatives, sent down to earth by my Father in Heaven for the specific purpose of blessing me in my time of need.  If, for some reason, the Son of God isn't available Himself.

But if I think about it hard enough, I figure every blessing I've ever received pretty much fits that bill, except the representatives are still in possession of their earthly bodies. :)

Edited by NeuroTypical

22 hours ago, Fether said:

As to my experience and knowledge, the answer to this question encompasses the purpose of the blessing. In the gospel of Jesus Christ, "Central to knowing the Father is understanding the revealed pattern of family." In that light, the most important relationship (next to marriage) is that of father and son, or son and father. The principle of stewardship is interwoven within the revealed pattern of family and priesthood blessings.

Our fathers have stewardship, and hopefully our fathers are someone we can trust. Joseph in Egypt when he was finally able to interact with his father he sought a blessing upon his children from his father. If we have access to everyone, we should seek a blessing from our fathers. I think this story given by Boyd K. Packer has merit to your question:

During the Vietnam War, we held a series of special meetings for members of the Church called into military service. After such a meeting in Chicago, I was standing next to President Harold B. Lee when a fine young Latter-day Saint told President Lee that he was on leave to visit his home and then had orders to Vietnam. He asked President Lee to give him a blessing.

Much to my surprise, President Lee said, “Your father should give you the blessing.”

Very disappointed, the boy said, “My father wouldn’t know how to give a blessing.”

President Lee answered, “Go home, my boy, and tell your father that you are going away to war and want to receive a father’s blessing from him. If he does not know how, tell him that you will sit on a chair. He can stand behind you and put his hands on your head and say whatever comes.”

This young soldier went away sorrowing.

About two years later I met him again. I do not recall where. He reminded me of that experience and said, “I did as I was told to do. I explained to my father that I would sit on the chair and that he should put his hands on my head. The power of the priesthood filled both of us. That was a strength and protection in those perilous months of battle.”

Our first thought should be to our father, if that is not an option, then we should seek someone we trust. We should be able to look to our ministering brothers for a blessing. We know we can look to the bishop. We know we can look to the bishopric counselors. We can probably look to any local leader for a blessing.

At that point, after our father, I don't think it really matters; however, if we are close to someone with the Spirit we will find power and authority through that blessing.

I've heard many forms of "Good information facilitates good inspiration."  I think the people who know us best are better equipped to provide the blessings we need.  But as long as the priesthood bearer is worthy, it's not much of an issue.  

Another thought, in the area I live in, we don't have a lot of service opportunities.  Needing a blessing can be a great opportunity to let a ministering brother fulfill his calling.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:46 AM, Fether said:

The question itself seems flawed. Why don't friends, etc. have stewardship to give me blessings? [note: they do]

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The question itself seems flawed. Why don't friends, etc. have stewardship to give me blessings? [note: they do]

does the stewardship of a father or priesthood leader provide further inspiration when they are seeking to help?

2 hours ago, Fether said:

does the stewardship of a father or priesthood leader provide further inspiration when they are seeking to help?

No. Unless it's a father's blessing, or the bishops blessing is actually within his stewardship like setting someone apart. A generic blessing is not the bishops stewardship any more than anyone other priesthood holder's. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, Fether said:

I am of the mind that you ought to receive whom the L-rd would send - be it family member, someone who has stewardship or some joe-schmoe you otherwise do not know.  For me giving a priesthood blessing or any blessing or service is a calling - that often can be an individual calling for a very specific blessing.  And thus it is not so much who I would call but who does G-d call.  It is my understanding of D&C 84 that we ought to receive whoever G-d sends.  This has also been my advice to those that would be blessed by a sister rather than a brother - that is that our covenant is with G-d and who he does call rather than our personal preference. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 9/19/2021 at 11:51 PM, Fether said:

Slightly off topic- Imagine if you need a blessing and the only person available to give one is some jerk you despise. Must be a humbling feeling