Conference Ready?!

mikbone

My daughter was a missionary @ Temple Square and got home just over a year ago (and already married).  She related that this week was always a big week for the sisters in the mission there.  They were extra busy and had to have everything just right. During the week, you would hear their warcry often - Conference Ready!

I love October conference. The autumn is so refreshing, especially after a literally burning hot fire season.

We will be making our signature lasagna. And hope that we can welcome the spirit into our home.

71740897-5B17-42C1-BB0F-7B174D4FCE34.thumb.jpeg.83a742fd72fd0d11ee1ac2c7ffc04273.jpeg

Wonder if we will get the new Hymnal or anything else even more exciting.

Edited by mikbone

Every time Conference comes up, the entire week beforehand, and usually that weekend itself, is full of drama on my end. Each day is a new round of drama (like today, when my dad and I got rained on while we were trying to service my car), and it usually ends with built tensions. 

So I'm usually hopping from one crisis to another and don't normally have a lot of time to prepare. 

45 minutes ago, Fether said:

How does one prepare for conference?

I make a promise to myself that I will act upon any and all promptings received. Then I wait in anticipation during every talk.

Edited by clwnuke
can't spell

On 9/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, mikbone said:

My daughter was a missionary @ Temple Square and got home just over a year ago (and already married).  She related that this week was always a big week for the sisters in the mission there.  They were extra busy and had to have everything just right. During the week, you would hear their warcry often - Conference Ready!

I love October conference. The autumn is so refreshing, especially after a literally burning hot fire season.

We will be making our signature lasagna. And hope that we can welcome the spirit into our home.

71740897-5B17-42C1-BB0F-7B174D4FCE34.thumb.jpeg.83a742fd72fd0d11ee1ac2c7ffc04273.jpeg

Wonder if we will get the new Hymnal or anything else even more exciting.

I bet she knows some of the missionaries that taught me, then.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:44 PM, Fether said:

How does one prepare for conference?

The General Authorities in times past met in the upper room of the temple (but this year the temple is under construction so I am not sure where they will meet) on the Thursday before conference weekend with the attitude of fasting and prayer.  Whatever anyone does to prepare themselves is surely better than doing nothing.

But doing nothing else can be good two.  Growing up we would listen to Saturday conference while hunting.  As a youth we had to go to special places to listen to the Priesthood session.  As newly married we would travel a couple of hours (east coast) to a stake center to listen to conference that came in from satellite on a very large dish.  Now days (for sure in Utah) we watch on our TV.  Many do not even dress as though they are attending.  I remember special occasions when I attended conference (as a youth) at the tabernacle. 

I have heard that for this conference that we will once again have a live choir but with about half as many singers.

The Traveler

On 9/30/2021 at 2:56 PM, Traveler said:

The General Authorities in times past met in the upper room of the temple (but this year the temple is under construction so I am not sure where they will meet) on the Thursday before conference weekend with the attitude of fasting and prayer.  Whatever anyone does to prepare themselves is surely better than doing nothing.

But doing nothing else can be good two.  Growing up we would listen to Saturday conference while hunting.  As a youth we had to go to special places to listen to the Priesthood session.  As newly married we would travel a couple of hours (east coast) to a stake center to listen to conference that came in from satellite on a very large dish.  Now days (for sure in Utah) we watch on our TV.  Many do not even dress as though they are attending.  I remember special occasions when I attended conference (as a youth) at the tabernacle. 

I have heard that for this conference that we will once again have a live choir but with about half as many singers.

The Traveler

probably met in the Church Administration Building

Elder Vaiangina Sikahema spoke in the Sunday morning session, giving a talk entitled 'A House of Sequential Order’.

Here is a video from 2008, of Brother Vai knocking out Jose Canseco in the boxing ring.  

https://youtu.be/pHNXCJ5wcAs?t=212

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Elder Vaiangina Sikahema spoke in the Sunday morning session, giving a talk entitled 'A House of Sequential Order’.

Here is a video from 2008, of Brother Vai knocking out Jose Canseco in the boxing ring.  

https://youtu.be/pHNXCJ5wcAs?t=212

It seems like just yesterday that we were calling Vai to be a Bishop in the Cherry Hill Stake, New Jersey. I was the Stake Executive Secretary at the time and Brother Ahmad Corbitt was the 2nd Counselor. He served wonderfully and later became the Stake President after President Corbitt. It's neat to see regular, but extraordinarily committed people called to serve in His Kingdom. 

Of course, it was earlier than that at college that we watched Vai consistently run through opposing teams on kickoff returns!

Edited by clwnuke
sp

5 hours ago, clwnuke said:

It seems like just yesterday that we were calling Vai to be a Bishop in the Cherry Hill Stake, New Jersey. I was the Stake Executive Secretary at the time and Brother Ahmad Corbitt was the 2nd Counselor. He served wonderfully and later became the Stake President after President Corbitt. It's neat to see regular, but extraordinarily committed people called to serve in His Kingdom. 

Of course, it was earlier than that at college that we watched Vai consistently run through opposing teams on kickoff returns!

That's cool.  As he was speaking, I learned that he was a missionary in our ward in South Dakota when I was born.