Trick or Treating on the Sabbath

dprh

I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were.  Is trick or treating a Sabbath appropriate activity?

I'm leaning towards no.  

We're thinking of heading to St. George for the weekend because I hear they're doing it on Saturday.  But my kids may riot if they aren't able to do it with friends 😕 

I think we've been able to avoid 99% of any Sunday Halloween stuff.  I think we may have made an exception for a neighborhood thing (like, one of the only neighborhood things the neighborhood ever did.

I used to hometeach a guy who would have his entire front door covered with a long rant against Halloween for the entire month of October.  Detailed instructions, coupled with copious scriptural justifications, on why everyone needed to not knock on his door for Halloween.   He didn't answer our knock for our October visit.  

8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

used to hometeach a guy who would have his entire front door covered with a long rant against Halloween for the entire month of October.  Detailed instructions, coupled with copious scriptural justifications, on why everyone needed to not knock on his door for Halloween.   He didn't answer our knock for our October visit

I’m not saying he doesn’t have that right, he absolutely does. But, that's a good way to get your house egged! 

3 hours ago, dprh said:

I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were.  Is trick or treating a Sabbath appropriate activity?

I'm leaning towards no.  

We're thinking of heading to St. George for the weekend because I hear they're doing it on Saturday.  But my kids may riot if they aren't able to do it with friends 😕 

I won’t be because I dont feel it is sabbath appropriate, but that is me. I choose to play video games with my brother on Sunday and I know others dont think that is appropriate. 

but that is the beauty of the gospel. Ponder on why you are doing it and decide what kind of sign your are showing God. 

This isn’t one of those “you decide… but if you decide wrong you are sinning”

I think President Nelson's principle is perfect here, "What sign do you want to give the Lord"?

Growing up, and in my current family, this wouldn't be something we would choose to do; however, we do have a GA who played professional baseball for 6 years, and a mission president who played professional sports for a number of years also.

In light of the contrast, it doesn't make it very clear as to the proper sign of keeping the Sabbath day holy and what that means. I would have said both are not good signs to give to the Lord. Now, well, I don't know.

Make your decision, and roll with it. How was your talk by the way?

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

I think President Nelson's principle is perfect here, "What sign do you want to give the Lord"?

Growing up, and in my current family, this wouldn't be something we would choose to do; however, we do have a GA who played professional baseball for 6 years, and a mission president who played professional sports for a number of years also.

In light of the contrast, it doesn't make it very clear as to the proper sign of keeping the Sabbath day holy and what that means. I would have said both are not good signs to give to the Lord. Now, well, I don't know.

Make your decision, and roll with it. How was your talk by the way?

This was similar to my thought process.  We'll have a family council and discuss.  :)

Thanks for following up.  It got postponed!  The bishopric decided to make it Fast Sunday last week because we have General Conference and the week after is Stake Conference.  Now, with a Ward Conference and missionary farewells and homecomings, it probably won't happen until November or maybe even December.  Plenty of time to worry and fret about it now :D 

40 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Wow! Who was it? I know the legendary Dale Murphy (who should be in the Hall, but anyway) is LDS. But who is the GA who played baseball? 

Sorry, not baseball, football. And one was called just this past general conference. 

S. Gifford Nielsen

Vai Sikahema

It is my personal understanding that keeping the Sabbath is not about doing all the do's and not doing any don'ts.  I think this one of the problem with the ancient Pharisees.  For me one of the best scriptures describing the Sabbath is in Hebrews Chapter 4:

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

I will not pretend that I understand this completely but I believe that the Sabbath as a day of rest is a type and shadow of the "rest of G-d" as G-d rested from his "work" on the 7th day.  In other words the Sabbath is your individual covenant and template of your eternity.  It is your focus, your heart and core of what you intend to become in eternity.  Therefore, I do not think it is up to me to advise anyone as to what they will dedicate and covenant for their Sabbath.   Except to advise that we remained focused in service and love of others as was the example of Christ if we intend to be one in eternity with Christ.  

I think I can demonstrate love and service towards others on Halloween  in a way that can bring joy and comfort - especially to children.

As a side note - my dear wife has always loved dressing up in costume for Halloween.  But her costumes have always been beautiful and uplifting.  I have often pondered why so many others enjoy adorning themselves and their homes with elements that emphasize the darker sides and natures of mortality.   I will add something extra for the kids that dress up as a missionary, an angel or some other uplifting and admirable character.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have often pondered why so many others enjoy adorning themselves and their homes with elements that emphasize the darker sides and natures of mortality. 

Well, if you ever look into the field of child development, they’ve got a handy answer for you.  One of the ways kids learn and explore the great issues of humanity, is through play, including role play.   “Good guys versus bad guys“ has been going on ever since there have been children. 

Of course, this does not mean that the increased secularization of society, coupled with glorification of sex and A lack of decent role models, isn’t happening everywhere. But don’t discount some positive reasons why people might want to let their freak flag fly once a year.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, if you ever look into the field of child development, they’ve got a handy answer for you.  One of the ways kids learn and explore the great issues of humanity, is through play, including role play.   “Good guys versus bad guys“ has been going on ever since there have been children. 

Of course, this does not mean that the increased secularization of society, coupled with glorification of sex and A lack of decent role models, isn’t happening everywhere. But don’t discount some positive reasons why people might want to let their freak flag fly once a year.

I get what my friend @Traveler is saying (even though I love horror culture) , and I mean no disrespect to him, but I think it’s an age thing. Many older people I've spoken to are uncomfortable with some of the darker images in Halloween. They don’t understand horror novels/movies either. So it might be an age thing? I freely admit I could be wrong. 

Part two of your post-There are no role models today, and that’s sad. We expect perfection out of people, which is absurd. When we find out that GA John Doe once cursed out someone, we wonder how the Lord could appoint someone so dirty. When Cam Newtown shows emotion by getting angry at a blown call, we call him “unprofessional”. So we look for reasons to pick at people and try to tear them down. It’s really depressing. 

Edited by LDSGator

19 hours ago, dprh said:

I'm leaning towards no.  

This may be one of those times where you teach correct principles and then let your kids decide how to live them.

There's also other alternatives like throwing your own party the night before and inviting their friends over. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

I get what my friend @Traveler is saying (even though I love horror culture) , and I mean no disrespect to him, but I think it’s an age thing. Many older people I've spoken to are uncomfortable with some of the darker images in Halloween. They don’t understand horror novels/movies either. So it might be an age thing? I freely admit I could be wrong. 

Someday I would like to sit with you and ask questions.  I have never understood the ugly horrifying evil monsters.  They are obviously something to avoid which requires no intelligent thinking.  What I find much more scary is something very dark and very intelligent appearing as something of light that can be adored and trusted but definitely is not as it appears - the sheep in wolf's clothing.

The Traveler

9 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Part two of your post-There are no role models today, and that’s sad. We expect perfection out of people, which is absurd. When we find out that GA John Doe once cursed out someone, we wonder how the Lord could appoint someone so dirty. When Cam Newtown shows emotion by getting angry at a blown call, we call him “unprofessional”. So we look for reasons to pick at people and try to tear them down. It’s really depressing. 

Sorry dude, NOT horror...

tim.jpeg.6c1e61b8314bb057f8ecfddf1e5bbfbb.jpeg