Conference impressions

Traveler

Here is a thread to speak and respond to various impressions of our most recent General Conference.  I will begin:

I was impressed with Elder Uchtdorf's talk.  I realize that he has addressed this subject before and making reference to his fighter and commercial piolet career.  What stuck out to me in his talk is that when someone (including piolets) get lost there is a natural tendency to go in a circle.  He said that this tendency is backed by scientific research.  I was impressed (or inspired) that the problem with being lost in this manner is that you will never progress and arrive anywhere you have not already been.  This reminded me of a discussion with someone with whom I care - that when their temple marriage failed that they decided to pursue relationships that were not "limited" by their temple covenants (law of chastity).  A few years later all of their relationships have failed in the exact manner.    It is odd that the ladies (including his temple wife) have ended with the lady developing interest in someone else.  And so I was impressed that we all can realize and know that we are lost when we find the same disappointments repeating themselves over and over again.  In other words, going in circles, finding ourselves back at the same places of disappointments (or excuses for failure or falling short) over and over again.

The purpose of the Gospel (gospel - meaning good news) is that as we follow the straight and narrow "path" that we are headed in a straight direction.  That even if there are similarities - that we are making improvements and consistently coming closer to our intended destination and farther and father away from our disappointments.  As my wife and I have kept our covenants we have grown closer and over almost 50 years we have become companions that dearly want to remain together.  We have not arrived yet but our relationship is improving and we find many of the arguments of our past - no longer matter. 

The Traveler

That talk stuck out to me as well @Traveler. There was another speaker, don't remember who, who spoke along a similar theme and gave the example of learning to drive while staring down at the road directly in front of him instead of looking ahead to maintain his course. The ability to see things afar off, in spiritual terms and temporally as well, is vital when pursuing any destination of significant distance. And the distance between this world and God's presence is indeed significant. The problem is that this life is like driving down the strip in Las Vegas and it's very difficult to not get distracted by our immediate surroundings. Fortunately the temple, which sits on a hill above the strip, is THE place to correct our short-sightedness.

5 hours ago, laronius said:

That talk stuck out to me as well @Traveler. There was another speaker, don't remember who, who spoke along a similar theme and gave the example of learning to drive while staring down at the road directly in front of him instead of looking ahead to maintain his course. The ability to see things afar off, in spiritual terms and temporally as well, is vital when pursuing any destination of significant distance. And the distance between this world and God's presence is indeed significant. The problem is that this life is like driving down the strip in Las Vegas and it's very difficult to not get distracted by our immediate surroundings. Fortunately the temple, which sits on a hill above the strip, is THE place to correct our short-sightedness.

One of the private residences I deliver to lives on a particular hill. 

The section of road leading to the road they live on is cratered with potholes of varying sizes, as is one of the four roads on / off the hill. 

I have no choice but to take the former road, as it's the only way to where the customer lives. But I avoid the second road even though it's the most direct route between that customer and my next stop. 

One night, my dad came with me because there was an issue with my car. We were in the family truck, and in addition to driving that stretch of road, he wanted me to take the more direct route so we could be done faster. Every time we hit a pothole, he'd get after me. Eventually, he asked me if I simply couldn't see the potholes.

I had to explain to him that no, I can't... at least, not at the posted speed limit. 

He has full night vision because he's been active outdoors since he was a child. He can see for a good distance at night, and so can see the potholes in the road a fair way off. 

In contrast, my night vision developed around watching for unexpected motion or presence / absence of light, as these are indicators of animals, pedestrians, obstructions, or other matters that could be an immediate safety risk. Thus, at night, I tend to slow down a little, especially if I'm unsure of the road conditions, and often give oncoming vehicles the benefit of the doubt (to the point that I won't even merge or turn onto a main road unless I'm sure no one is coming). On these two roads, which are in such poor shape, I've learned the hard way that I have to go slow, carefully watch what's immediately ahead of me, and make on-the-spot decisions for each and every pothole. 

I can't simply look at a long stretch, count every pothole in an instant, and masterfully avoid each one at speed. 

That was the end of the discussion for the night.