Inviting people to repentance because we love them

Fether

I have long been impressed by, and have also felt, the yearning love of the prophets of God in their warnings against sin. They are not motivated by a desire to condemn. Their true desire mirrors the love of God; in fact, it is the love of God. They love those to whom they are sent, whoever they may be and whatever they may be like. Just as the Lord, His servants do not want anyone to suffer the pains of sin and poor choices... Because They love you, They do not want to leave you “just as you are.” Because They love you, They want you to have joy and success. Because They love you, They want you to repent because that is the path to happiness.

- "The Love of God"  D. Todd Christofferson

I have invited many people in my life to repent. Particularly on my mission, it was almost an hourly thing. But I don't think I really loved any of the people I invited to repent. And to this day, I think it is the same. I invite others to repent because it is my duty and I have hope for an eternal reward. If I am a little more frank about it, it seems more like a game. Can I convince the person to change by sharing scriptures and promising blessings? If so, I win. 

I would go as far as to say that I have disbelieved most people who say "I am inviting you to repent because I love you". It seems so far outside the realm of possibility that I deny that it is even possible for a man to do it.

Now, I am growing in charity. I have grown to care more deeply about the pain others feel. It honestly breaks my heart when people feel emotional pain, though it is not instinctive yet. 

All this being said. What is my best bet in overcoming this? How can I grow to the point where I wish others to repent because I love them, and not out of a sense of duty?

2 hours ago, Fether said:

I have invited many people in my life to repent. Particularly on my mission, it was almost an hourly thing. But I don't think I really loved any of the people I invited to repent. And to this day, I think it is the same. I invite others to repent because it is my duty and I have hope for an eternal reward. If I am a little more frank about it, it seems more like a game. Can I convince the person to change by sharing scriptures and promising blessings? If so, I win. 

I would go as far as to say that I have disbelieved most people who say "I am inviting you to repent because I love you". It seems so far outside the realm of possibility that I deny that it is even possible for a man to do it.

Now, I am growing in charity. I have grown to care more deeply about the pain others feel. It honestly breaks my heart when people feel emotional pain, though it is not instinctive yet. 

All this being said. What is my best bet in overcoming this? How can I grow to the point where I wish others to repent because I love them, and not out of a sense of duty?

I recommend Elder Holland's last General Conference talk. And this one by Elder Palmer in 2017: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2017/04/then-jesus-beholding-him-loved-him?lang=eng It might help to ponder the phrase, "“Then Jesus beholding him loved him..."

Also, praying for charity as Moroni taught. Even if you barely know what you are asking for, the Spirit will build upon that.

2 hours ago, Fether said:

In light of this thought I don't disagree, as there are many people whose invitation to repent isn't about a "love for thy neighbor"; however, I think it is important to remember the following when considering this:

1) There are two great commandments. The first is to "love God." The second is the "love neighbor." And in that order.

2) Imperfection, we are beings that are hopefully seeking divine love in both -- love of God and love of our neighbor. For the majority of saints, the love of God will come first. That love, although imperfect will shed itself toward our neighbor.

3) Knowledge. The love of neighbor increases as our understanding and knowledge of who God is increases. The idea, we can't comprehend ourselves if we do not comprehend who the Father is, which can only come through our love for Christ and our willingness to be like him.

Jonah is the perfect example of obedience to God with a feigned love for a whole city. He did what he did, not because of the love he had for this city, but because God made it clear as to his duty before Him, and then Jonah obeyed God -- a love of God. After the call to repentance (a prophet of God) was actually mad that God saved them. How is that for the second commandment -- love thy neighbor as thyself?!

It is possible though, and I think our modern day prophets are good examples of this. I believe President Thomas S. Monson was about as close to God's love in this life as any earthly man could.

I am currently dealing with some stake leaders who are in this realm. Those who say "I love you" because that is the "right" thing to say in the Church. I prefer to watch the actions of people rather than what they say. This is also why I like the story of Moses/Enoch (haha, having a hard time remembering and too lazy to look it up right now) when he first saw God. After that experience, he then was visited by Satan who commanded him to worship him. Because he knew God and the difference, he was able to easily say, "Where is thy glory that I should worship you"? Contrast! I know their love is fake in my direction because I have experienced "sincere" love from others. Their actions have made it clear how they "sincerely" feel about me.

1) Pray for the "gift" of charity as commanded in scripture

2) Exercise the "gift" of patience toward oneself as we become better "Saints"

3) Helaman 3: 35

4) Abraham 1: 2

5) Moses 6: 60

6) Elder Bednar's books I shared with you are great as they cover becoming like Christ with great thoughts and examples.

Edited by Anddenex

3 hours ago, Fether said:

Do we really, truly believe (not just in the abstract, but in practice) that life is better when one loves God and Jesus Christ?

Do we really, truly believe (not just in the abstract, but in practice) that life is better when one avoids various forms of sin?

If so, inviting someone to repentance should be at least as natural as inviting someone to try a new restaurant.

32 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

If so, inviting someone to repentance should be at least as natural as inviting someone to try a new restaurant.

But I don’t recommend restaurants because I love people

4 hours ago, Fether said:

I like your attitude - most likely because I relate.  I want to say something about loving others.   @Anddenex suggest that we love G-d and we love others.  I have problems with the extent of this logic.  Loving G-d is quite different than loving others.  What Jesus said that we should love others as we love our selves.  I have a sense that something is missing in this context but to be honest I have problems with the thoughts of love.  Jesus said that a willingness to give their life for others is the greatest kind of love.  I use to think that this meant the we are willing to jump on a land mine to save others.  I have come to think there is a greater meaning.  I will try to explain.  There are many ways that we choose to live our life and express our talents and spiritual gifts.  Often, especially when we are exceptional in our talents and gifts it can be an ego trip to demonstrate our talents and gifts.  This is the mistake of just loving ourselves.  Rather we should utilize our talents and gifts to lift others and bring joy to them.

I understand the concept but I have problems with the application.  For example I love to ride a bicycle and ski but I have never found a way to inspire others.  Often when cycling and skiing with others I am either working them to death or it is me that is drained trying to keep up.   If I ski with one of my grand kids I must sacrifice my fun and enjoyment and spend the time helping them.  Even my kids do not enjoy the more advanced runs as I do - but I have one son that when cycling, in less than a half hour will drain all my strength and endurance.    But I will on occasions spend a day with my grand kids.  What is interesting is that if I ever make a suggestion - they appreciate it and work to improve.  What is interesting about this is that they hate their dad's suggestions.

This kind of bring me to a point that I often ponder.  What sense is there in calling someone to repentance that resents it.  Rather, it seems that we only have influence when someone is willing to overcome whatever it is that limits them and is willing to accept help.  And I know for myself I really am not excited about help coming from someone that seems to have more problems than me with the question or problem at hand.   And so I think we must have some love (confidence, respect, and honor) of ourselves before we can demonstrate a similar love of others.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Fether said:

But I don’t recommend restaurants because I love people

Maybe; but I’ll bet you like them.  

And I wouldn’t overthink the distinction between those two terms.  The Church, in some ways, is linguistically behind the times—we developed our doctrines in Victorian days, following the lead of people reading scriptures written in Jacobean English; and we still use terms like “love” in ways that were popular then, but not so much now.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Maybe; but I’ll bet you like them.  

And I wouldn’t overthink the distinction between those two terms.  The Church, in some ways, is linguistically behind the times—we developed our doctrines in Victorian days and we still use terms like “love” in ways that were popular then, but not so much now.  

My problem is trying to love people I do not like (or respect)  very much.  I am open to suggestions and examples.

The Traveler

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

I like your attitude - most likely because I relate.  I want to say something about loving others.   @Anddenex suggest that we love G-d and we love others.  I have problems with the extent of this logic.  Loving G-d is quite different than loving others. 

The scriptures command us to love God (first great commandment) and to love others (neighbor, second great commandment). Not sure what theproblem is with this logic, it is scriptural.

No one suggested, at least not myself, that loving God is the same as loving others; however, charity is charity no matter the direction.

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

The scriptures command us to love God (first great commandment) and to love others (neighbor, second great commandment). Not sure what theproblem is with this logic, it is scriptural.

No one suggested, at least not myself, that loving God is the same as loving others; however, charity is charity no matter the direction.

As I said before - I am not sure I understand love all that much - and now you have added another term "charity" that I also do not understand all that well.  I am not claiming complete and total ignorance but like I said there are elements that confuse me.  For example we know that Jesus is our best example and it appears to me that Jesus was not all that nice in dealing with the Pharisees.   It appears to me he was more sarcastic than rude - but for me it seems that even sarcasm is not the best way to show charity.  I struggle greatly with people I do not like or trust.   It is my impression that charity towards just our friends is not divine charity.

The Traveler

31 minutes ago, Traveler said:

As I said before - I am not sure I understand love all that much - and now you have added another term "charity" that I also do not understand all that well.  I am not claiming complete and total ignorance but like I said there are elements that confuse me.  For example we know that Jesus is our best example and it appears to me that Jesus was not all that nice in dealing with the Pharisees.   It appears to me he was more sarcastic than rude - but for me it seems that even sarcasm is not the best way to show charity.  I struggle greatly with people I do not like or trust.   It is my impression that charity towards just our friends is not divine charity.

The Traveler

Looks like we feel the same when it comes to fully understand what love/charity is. I have a sibling now that likes to tell others "This is not what Christ would do." Or, "If you do this you are not a Christian." The irony I suppose is that he has removed himself from the Church (which isn't a Christian decision because to be a Christian we follow Christ not remove ourselves from him) but now knows exactly what is or is not Christian. Some of the examples he gives the Spirit quickly brings scripture to my remembrance.

Your example is a great example of seeking to understanding "Love" or "Charity" because charity is the pure love of Christ. Another example is the woman at the well by which he likens her to a "dog" at the master tables. I find her humility astounding. She simply responded (at least what we have in scripture), about how even the dog eats the scraps from the masters table. So, when people start to tell me what Christ would or would not do, I am cautious, because the scriptures highlight things they would say Christ would not do.

Same, I struggle greatly with people I do not trust or like as well. I also struggle greatly with people who use the Spirit as an excuse to act a certain way when it is their decision not the Spirit. I also struggle with love when I know someone has something personal against me, but tells me they love me. I can't stand pretenders.

So, like you, I am not fully ignorant but I am definitely still trying to understand this principle of love and the principle of charity.

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

My problem is trying to love people I do not like (or respect)  very much.  I am open to suggestions and examples.

The Traveler

Boy, that's a kicker.  At times I've "acted" with love and it's changed the relationship.   Other times it didn't, and I have such a hard time loving.   It's even harder when it's people I believe are actually doing harm.

For the amusement of the forum, I thought to present an example of one of my challenges of love.   My wife has a sister that is perhaps her closest girl friend, which I do not mind.  But I have difficulties dealing with this persons.  She has many good qualities and we both try to get along, but as you all have guessed - I struggle.  I will give some examples.  Since we spend a lot of time with just my wife and I with the sister and her husband.  So on one given evening - the sister says before the 4 of us addressing me and trying to be friendly; tonight why don't you pick a restraint  you like for all of us to eat at - I do not think you hardly ever pick a place (which is correct - it is never that I make such a selection - but it really is not that important to me).  So I suggest a place I think everybody likes.  She responds: "Pick another place, I ate there for lunch today".  I make another suggestion.  She responds: "I am not in the mood for that, please pick another."  After about 7 or 8 suggestions - all of which she has an objection - I say something like: "Why don't you just tell me a place or two that are acceptable to you and let me suggest one of those?"

Now my wife is upset and whispers to me and asks why I am always rude to her sister.  So I attempt to apologize and suggest that someone else should pick - big mistake because now I am being more rude and have ruined the evening for everybody.  I do not hate my sister-in-law but just do not know how to act when around her.  

Here is another example: sister in law always has to drive because if she is not driving she gets car sick.  Not really a problem except she is one of the worse drivers I know.  One example, she is easily distracted.  She has to have a large soda that she sips from every few seconds but she cannot just reach for the soda - she has to take her eyes off the road to find her cup.  By time she gets the straw in her mouth she is hardly ever still between the lines of her lane.  And so I try to just be quiet but then I am asked for my opinion - if I say I do not have an opinion (which I seldom do because the subject matter seldom interests me (I do not like talking about people when they cannot respond and anything remotely related to science, religion, politics, economics (especially avoiding debt), history, education, humor or anything that I do or has happened to any one my side of family is off limits for sister-in law).  So I am rude because I do not give my opinion or say much - but if for any reason I give my opinion - that is even more rude.  Usually when we are together I am divided off with the husband of sister-in-law and he is like talking to a wall - it is my opinion he is scared to say anything for fear his wife will hear.

Please do not get me wrong.  My sister-in-law is not so bad but for whatever reason her and I just cannot mix and I really do not understand why (though it is likely my fault) - it is kind of like in the movie "Cool Hand Luke" - there is a failure to communicate.  This is all mostly humorous to me and my most common response is to snicker or giggle - mostly to myself (to which I cannot respond because that is always interpreted as being rude) --- being around sister-in-law confuses me - I do not know how to be loving and full of charity as we have been commanded.

The Traveler

Moroni 8:26

And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.

Some thoughts.

It is not inviting one to repentance which is bad or hard, but HOW you invite them that can be relevant.

A Bishop (or Stake President) has no choice at times but to call someone to repentance, but it is not necessarily one where you try to be a hypocrite and call them out.

It can be done in love.

A better way to understand would be a Father (or Mother) who has a child who is doing things that they should not be.  Now some Parents may take to screaming and whipping and all manner of things.  I'm not (or hope I was not) like that.

In those cases, you take your child apart and talk to them.  You help them understand what they have been doing or did that was not right.  You help them understand why it may be bad for them or for others and hopefully they will then understand WHY they should change.  If you are lucky you can then have them discuss with you what should be the next step (many times it is punishment, but other times there are other steps instead). 

There were times when they did not understand or agree that they should do something (for example, a teenage daughter who did not feel 10:30 PM was a good curfew, and staying out later than that was their right).  At which point, perhaps rules will need to be reiterated (the rule of the house was that anyone under 18 not accompanied by a parent had to be home and in by 10:30 without special permission).  Perhaps they still do not agree (they understand the PARENTS want them home by 10:30  PM, but do not feel it should apply to the daughter).  So then we institute stronger measures and hope that we can continue the conversation until they understand at a later time (they should get to bed early enough to get enough sleep during school days and nights, and even when it is not a school night, keeping their sleep schedule in order will help them sleep better during the school week rather than trying to readjust after the weekend, though the other reasoning is that we don't want her to get in trouble with peers which occurs more often the later it gets...though is not the ONLY time one can get in trouble with boys, friends, etc).  So, stronger measures are taken.  We talk to them and explain we do not see eye to eye on the matter, but as a parent, we are going to enforce the rules (be in by 10:30 AM).  To do this we are going to restrict driving privileges to going to and from school, and not let them go out after 8PM or on dates until they understand they have a curfew and will agree to follow it.  The daughter disagrees and storms out because at that point, they still do not understand or agree.  This is...of course...not ideal.  It takes a while for them to agree (grudgingly) to follow the rules.  MANY YEARS LATER...They finally understand the parents point of view.  They are grateful to the parents for the care the parents had...even if at the time it happened it was not easy.

Of course, it doesn't ALWAYS happen as I described above (sometimes kids NEVER agree) but I think it can illustrate how one can try to correct others they love.  Most of the time you do not have the Power or Authority a parent has over their child, but you can express the same type of love to others who are engaged in troublesome activities and such. 

Sometimes it is easier to do (and less confrontational as at the beginning of my example of a disagreement between me and a daughter) and other times one is confrontational (as the end of the example of a disagreement between me and a daughter). 

17 hours ago, Traveler said:

- being around sister-in-law confuses me - I do not know how to be loving and full of charity as we have been commanded.

The Traveler

I question at times whether we pigeon hole what it means to love or have charity in how it makes us feel. Just as we all communicate love differently I think how it makes us feel can vary as well. For example we can love someone but not like them. So how is that supposed to make us feel? Perhaps how we treat others is a better gauge of where we stand in relationship to them than specific feelings. Of course I say this as one who is not super emotional so perhaps my perspective is skewed. But to me it sounds like there are some definite charitable traits being manifest in your relationship with your sister-in-law if not the typical emotional response.

1 hour ago, laronius said:

I question at times whether we pigeon hole what it means to love or have charity in how it makes us feel. Just as we all communicate love differently I think how it makes us feel can vary as well. For example we can love someone but not like them. So how is that supposed to make us feel? Perhaps how we treat others is a better gauge of where we stand in relationship to them than specific feelings. Of course I say this as one who is not super emotional so perhaps my perspective is skewed. But to me it sounds like there are some definite charitable traits being manifest in your relationship with your sister-in-law if not the typical emotional response.

I think we are on the same somewhat page.  I am inclined to think that love and charity are deliberate choices.  Like so many other things we improve and understand our choices through practice.  That love and charity are outward (not inward) personal actions that involve service and sacrifice.  However, I think that for me; where the misunderstanding takes place is what part mercy and compassion play.  To be honest, I lack mercy and compassion for bad choices others make - anyway so it seems.  Sometimes I see humor in bad choices.  I think this is the process with the routine of many stand-up comedians.   Mostly I do not dare to say anything to someone making obvious bad choices and sometimes it is most difficult not to let my laughter show.

The Traveler

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Some thoughts.

It is not inviting one to repentance which is bad or hard, but HOW you invite them that can be relevant.

A Bishop (or Stake President) has no choice at times but to call someone to repentance, but it is not necessarily one where you try to be a hypocrite and call them out.

It can be done in love.

A better way to understand would be a Father (or Mother) who has a child who is doing things that they should not be.  Now some Parents may take to screaming and whipping and all manner of things.  I'm not (or hope I was not) like that.

In those cases, you take your child apart and talk to them.  You help them understand what they have been doing or did that was not right.  You help them understand why it may be bad for them or for others and hopefully they will then understand WHY they should change.  If you are lucky you can then have them discuss with you what should be the next step (many times it is punishment, but other times there are other steps instead). 

There were times when they did not understand or agree that they should do something (for example, a teenage daughter who did not feel 10:30 PM was a good curfew, and staying out later than that was their right).  At which point, perhaps rules will need to be reiterated (the rule of the house was that anyone under 18 not accompanied by a parent had to be home and in by 10:30 without special permission).  Perhaps they still do not agree (they understand the PARENTS want them home by 10:30  PM, but do not feel it should apply to the daughter).  So then we institute stronger measures and hope that we can continue the conversation until they understand at a later time (they should get to bed early enough to get enough sleep during school days and nights, and even when it is not a school night, keeping their sleep schedule in order will help them sleep better during the school week rather than trying to readjust after the weekend, though the other reasoning is that we don't want her to get in trouble with peers which occurs more often the later it gets...though is not the ONLY time one can get in trouble with boys, friends, etc).  So, stronger measures are taken.  We talk to them and explain we do not see eye to eye on the matter, but as a parent, we are going to enforce the rules (be in by 10:30 AM).  To do this we are going to restrict driving privileges to going to and from school, and not let them go out after 8PM or on dates until they understand they have a curfew and will agree to follow it.  The daughter disagrees and storms out because at that point, they still do not understand or agree.  This is...of course...not ideal.  It takes a while for them to agree (grudgingly) to follow the rules.  MANY YEARS LATER...They finally understand the parents point of view.  They are grateful to the parents for the care the parents had...even if at the time it happened it was not easy.

Of course, it doesn't ALWAYS happen as I described above (sometimes kids NEVER agree) but I think it can illustrate how one can try to correct others they love.  Most of the time you do not have the Power or Authority a parent has over their child, but you can express the same type of love to others who are engaged in troublesome activities and such. 

Sometimes it is easier to do (and less confrontational as at the beginning of my example of a disagreement between me and a daughter) and other times one is confrontational (as the end of the example of a disagreement between me and a daughter). 

In the home I grew up in - there really was not a curfew but the normal time to get up in the morning was 5 am.  My parents were not into talking and explaining things.  If I was ever out late dad would think it was necessary to get everybody up at 3 am saying that it was necessary to get everything done.  We all knew the reason we were all awaken early is because someone was out late - so it became the job of all the siblings to do all the talking to convince the one standout to make a change.  My parents were very much of the idea that I should choose my path in life which meant dealing with the consequences and requirements.  When I turned 8 I was required to use my own money for personal things and my parents were not into paying "allowance".  My father owned several businesses where we could work but he paid us less than anyone else.

The Traveler 

Parents can help their kids walk through repentance, without it being selfish.  In fact, all parents need to do this, maybe often at certain stages in a child's life, in order to teach 'em up right.

Wife and I once grappled with folks who dearly needed to repent.  The moment I was finally able to forgive them and love them, my urge to preach repentance to them dropped down to zero.  It dawned on me they all had known about repentance for longer than I had been alive, and any calls I may had issued, were pretty self-serving.  I was attempting to get things fixed by urging the other side to change.

Pretty much every single time someone has urged me to repent, it has come across as an attempt to manipulate me, or deny their wrongdoing, or even score points in a public debate.  Even at times when I've later humbled myself and found I was in the wrong, those urgings had squat to do with either my decision to humble myself, nor my decision to apologize or change.  Made it harder, in fact.

3 hours ago, LDSGator said:

There was for me, but it was almost always adaptable. I had a pager in high school and the rule was “if my parents page me twice in row, I have to call them ASAP”. Totally fair. 

I guess I left out the point - seldom did I or my siblings stay out after 10 and it was by our choice.  On special occasions like the jr. prom it was not uncommon, at least for me, to fall asleep - especially if I sat down for a minute.

The Traveler