Revelation 7 and the Restoration

laronius

Here is the heading in our version of Revelation chapter 7:

John also sees in the sixth seal: The restoration of the gospel foreseen; the sealing of the 144,000; and the hosts of the exalted from all nations.

Now I know the headings are not part of the canonized text but can someone tell which verses in chapter 7 they are referring to when they say "The restoration of the gospel foreseen"?

7 hours ago, laronius said:

Actually I just figured it out. But I won't tell. That would ruin the fun. šŸ˜

Footnotes are not part of the canonized text either, but at very helpful! :)Ā I won't tell either but footnote a in verseĀ 2 leads to the answer JosephĀ SmithĀ gaveĀ received about this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, laronius said:

Here is the heading in our version of Revelation chapter 7:

John also sees in the sixth seal: The restoration of the gospel foreseen; the sealing of the 144,000; and the hosts of the exalted from all nations.

Now I know the headings are not part of the canonized text but can someone tell which verses in chapter 7 they are referring to when they say "The restoration of the gospel foreseen"?

This is the event described by the sixth seal as I see it.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake;Ā 
and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And theĀ 
stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, whenĀ 
she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolledĀ 
together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kingsĀ 
of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and theĀ 
mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and inĀ 
the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hideĀ 
us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: ForĀ 
the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

I do not see anything about a restoration of the gospel in the above verses.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1983/10/book-of-revelation-overview?lang=eng
indicates the sixth seal represents the time around 1000 AD to 2000 AD, but I do not recall
any great earthquake at the beginning of that time frame.

Matteo

1 hour ago, romans8 said:

This is the event described by the sixth seal as I see it.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake;Ā 
and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And theĀ 
stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, whenĀ 
she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolledĀ 
together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kingsĀ 
of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and theĀ 
mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and inĀ 
the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hideĀ 
us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: ForĀ 
the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

I do not see anything about a restoration of the gospel in the above verses.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1983/10/book-of-revelation-overview?lang=eng
indicates the sixth seal represents the time around 1000 AD to 2000 AD, but I do not recall
any great earthquake at the beginning of that time frame.

Matteo

If you look at the footnote in our version of the Bible for 2a it will reference you to a verse in the D&C talking about the restoration.

It does not specifically say that the earthquake will happen as soon as the sixth seal is open, just when it is opened. There is speculation on the exact dates of the seals and some believe they can even overlap so that some of the sixth seal signs will happen in conjunction with some of the seventh seal times. But a quick Google search will show past events that some believe qualify for these signs as well.