Teaching kids to read - best method?

Fether

I remember not to long ago, someone on this forum brought up a book that explains the best way to teach kids to read. It supposedly rejected the common phonics approach as well as a few other common methods. 

Whoever you are, please speak up, I am curious about it.

For the rest of you rabble, what methods have you used to help your kids learn to read?

We start by teaching our kids the ABC's. Once they can identify each big and small letter by sight (between age 2 and 3) we then teach them the basic sounds each letter makes. Once they have this down (sometime in their 4th year) we then start having them piece together sounds from 2 letters, and then progress to short 3 letter words. My 8 and 6 year old were each able to read small books at age 5 before entering kindergarten. 

Learning to read is definitely a marathon, not a sprint, but being able to read well sets them up for success in pretty much every other school subject, as well as bringing elevated confidence. Reading to them also helps their progression by leaps and bounds. I read 4 stories every night - each kiddo gets to pick a book. We end our day by also reading a scripture.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, Fether said:

I remember not to long ago, someone on this forum brought up a book that explains the best way to teach kids to read. It supposedly rejected the common phonics approach as well as a few other common methods. 

Whoever you are, please speak up, I am curious about it.

For the rest of you rabble, what methods have you used to help your kids learn to read?

I am not an expert in this matter and I am very warry of a one size fits all approach.  I am of the mind that children come into this world with different wiring for brains and skills.  For myself, I was in jr high when I took a speed reading course.  I see words in clusters better and often mix up letters when trying to see individual words.  I think @Ironhold is on to something suggesting comic books - but once again - I think even that will only fit some kids.

I suggest that parents regularly read with their children.  For me, even as a child, I was fascinated  with scripture and loved back stories and information to supplement scripture.  As strange as it may seem - I also believe music (learning to read and play music - regardless of instrument - including percussion) greatly enhances reading skill comprehension.  I also believe that regardless of the instrument (including voice) that learning to accompany and play (make music) with others (including in a family setting) will enhance and improve a great variety of learning skills.  I believe music has a magical quality to enhance or help children find place and meaning and how they fit into the world.  But once again - even with my own children - no two were or are the same.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I am not an expert in this matter and I am very warry of a one size fits all approach.  I am of the mind that children come into this world with different wiring for brains and skills.  For myself, I was in jr high when I took a speed reading course.  I see words in clusters better and often mix up letters when trying to see individual words.  I think @Ironhold is on to something suggesting comic books - but once again - I think even that will only fit some kids.

I suggest that parents regularly read with their children.  For me, even as a child, I was fascinated  with scripture and loved back stories and information to supplement scripture.  As strange as it may seem - I also believe music (learning to read and play music - regardless of instrument - including percussion) greatly enhances reading skill comprehension.  I also believe that regardless of the instrument (including voice) that learning to accompany and play (make music) with others (including in a family setting) will enhance and improve a great variety of learning skills.  I believe music has a magical quality to enhance or help children find place and meaning and how they fit into the world.  But once again - even with my own children - no two were or are the same.

The Traveler

Before the pandemic, regional grocery chain H-E-B had a deal in place with book publisher Bendon wherein Bendon would supply them with hardback kids' picture books. 

As part of it, they would have a thing to where at least one coupon deal each week would net you one of these books for free. The idea was that since these were items families were likely purchasing anyway, it would put more books in the hands of children who likely needed it. 

The pandemic forced them to stop doing these offers for about a year and a half because they didn't have a steady supply of books, but back around September they started it up again for the program's 10th anniversary. This is one picture I took showing a recent coupon offer, where if you bought a "giant" sized box of kid-friendly cereal you'd get a free carton of milk and a free book.