Could education really be fully privatized?

Backroads

On 11/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, estradling75 said:

Which raises the question?  What do we consider the 'basics'   We live in a very complex society, and adults are expected to navigate lots of different things.   I consider my job as a parent is to turn my kid into a functional adult...  That can look like a lot of different things to different people.

I will make a list of some of the subjects I believe essential for basic education before a high school diploma can be granted.

1. Mathematics (including number theory)

2. Science (including the metric system)

3. History (local, national & world)

4. Music (music theory)

5. Religion (basic theories of local, national and world religions)

6.Economics (including budgeting  for individuals, families, businesses and governments)

7. Firearm training (includes firearm use and care)  - Also self defense (what to do if attacked as well as civil safety during natural or man made disasters. )  I also believe this should include basic military training.

8. Language (English and at least 2 other foreign languages)  This would also include kanji characters so that by time a child finishes high school they know a minimum of 200 characters.

9. Physical education (includes meal planning and preparation for a healthy diet) 

10. Geography (local, national and world)

11. Vocations and careers (basics elements and salaries as well as skills and education required)

12. Constitutional law (includes rights and obligations)  Both state and national constitutional law.

In addition I do not believe that a person should be considered capable of being an adult citizen (including self reliant and capable of making their own decisions and self management until they have completed the essential and basic education.  Until someone has completed their education they should be held under a conservatorship of their parents or if necessary someone appointed by law.  This could mean that they cannot control their own money, property or even be married - date or whatever (this would include medical procedures - including abortions or any other elective medical procedure - like tattoos or piercings.)   I also believe this would do away with the necessity of juvenile courts or punishments.  All punishments would be included in the conservatorship defined for the individual.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

(including the metric system)

12. Constitutional law (includes rights and obligations)  Both state and national constitutional law.

These are in direct conflict, as the Freedom seeds fired by the freedom sticks are measured in inches, unless you’re communist or German.

There are no decimal points in the constitution, we obtain our liberty by the pound.  And we ain’t talkin pounds Sterling - a tea-flavored harbor put an end to that discussion as well.

Edited by NeuroTypical

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

These are in direct conflict, as the Freedom seeds fired by the freedom sticks are measured in inches, unless you’re communist or German.

?????? We would not be free nor a country if it was not for German scientists - Einstein, Tesla and Von Braun to name just a few.  The metric system is far superior, relevant and useable - and does not require wasting brain cells to remember nonsense calculations like how many inches are in a mile.  The metric system is based in science rather than emotions and weird traditions that no one remembers why.  If you want your children to excel in science you will realize that the sooner the miles, feet and inches (along with lords and royals) are no longer uselessly idolized that we can base our education on logic and reason - which will make freedom and liberty more natural and probable.  😎

The Traveler 

Here in America, our navy will pull up on the enemy with a giant boat, which shoots a dozen boat-tanks full of armored grunts at the enemy.  All done without your fancy metricals.  Sorry, can't hear your reasoning over the noise of all this FREEDOM!

image.png.f6e014d8bcdde79a3fd7cd35e80a8c0d.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

The metric system is far superior, relevant and useable - and does not require wasting brain cells to remember nonsense calculations like how many inches are in a mile.

1760 yards/mile
5280 feet/mile
63360 inches per mile

Nice whole numbers.

2.54 centimeters/inch
3.78 liters/gallon

Tell me again about nonsense calculations.

2 hours ago, mordorbund said:

1760 yards/mile
5280 feet/mile
63360 inches per mile

Nice whole numbers.

2.54 centimeters/inch
3.78 liters/gallon

Tell me again about nonsense calculations.

All of the above - conversions within the metric system are powers of 10.   Though I do not gamble - I would be willing to bet 99 out of 100 high school graduates in the USA could not even give the above calculations without looking them up or doing some math in their head.  And since 50% of our high school kids in many cities are sub par in math (mostly because it confuses them because they are taught CRT and such) -- I rest my case.  😁  It is all about the kis method (Keep It Simple).

I thought I would add something - how would you like the above relationships in your monetary system between dollars, cents and higher currencies. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Here in America, our navy will pull up on the enemy with a giant boat, which shoots a dozen boat-tanks full of armored grunts at the enemy.  All done without your fancy metricals.  Sorry, can't hear your reasoning over the noise of all this FREEDOM!

image.png.f6e014d8bcdde79a3fd7cd35e80a8c0d.png

When I was working for the Defense Department there was a story that came out of the Navy, Top Gun training.  All of a sudden the technically sophisticated (obviously superior) fighter jets (F14's) were getting overwhelmingly defeated by the MIG simulators.  This was because several of the MIG piolets purchased $50 fuzz busters from Radio Shack and installed them in their cockpits - which warned them that the F14's with their 50 million dollar electronics was moving in from behind thinking they were undetected.  

It is not the equipment but the freedom loving people that preserve freedom.  The only reason that the metric system is not used is because it was not taught - or was not taught until bad habits were already established. 

The Traveler