Sign in to follow this  
Suzie

The "Ok" hand Gesture

Recommended Posts

A few years ago, the folks at controversial internet forum 4-Chan began to question whether certain "progressive" news outlets were actually doing any sort of independent investigation into certain topics or if they were just taking initial reports at face value. 

To this end, one user came up with a fictitious story about the OK symbol being adopted as a "white power" gesture and started farming it out in various forms to different "progressive" outlets. 

A group known as The Root took the bait and ran the story, using this 4-Chan user as their primary source. 

It didn't take long for 4-Chan to blow the whistle and reveal what had happened, but by then it was too late as many "progressive" internet forums had already taken the initial The Root article at face value and were spreading the word accordingly. 

Once word started getting around that the OK symbol was now supposedly racist, actual white supremacist groups started using it. 

For obvious reasons, only very biased and uninformed people now use The Root as a source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  Kind of like the tidepod challenge.  Kids eating tide pods spiked once the memes spread and news media started warning everyone against it.

This sort of nonsense has a long, long history. 

In the case of the poisoned Halloween candy, however, there is an actual origin: a man who was deep in debt attempting to murder his children for their life insurance policies. 

The story was continually circulated without vital context, and it exploded from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ironhold said:

In the case of the poisoned Halloween candy, however, there is an actual origin: a man who was deep in debt attempting to murder his children for their life insurance policies. 

The story was continually circulated without vital context, and it exploded from there. 

And as parents, we repeat the story because “check your candy for poison” sounds nicer than “daddy tax”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

And as parents, we repeat the story because “check your candy for poison” sounds nicer than “daddy tax”.

In my annual Halloween safety column, I recount an incident that happened to one of my brothers. 

He was at a convenience store buying gas. He also picked up a bag of off-brand gummi candy while he was in there. 

There were wooden splinters in the gummi candy. 

Yes, I was there when he opened up the bag. 

The only thing he can figure is that something broke apart at the factory, the splinters made it inside, and quality control missed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, NeuroTypical said:

This sort of nonsense has a long, long history. 


Not poison, but sharp objects have been found over the years. Just this year: 

https://www.13abc.com/2021/11/01/fostoria-offers-x-ray-inspection-candy-after-sewing-needles-found-two-candy-bars-halloween/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Colirio said:


Not poison, but sharp objects have been found over the years. Just this year: 

https://www.13abc.com/2021/11/01/fostoria-offers-x-ray-inspection-candy-after-sewing-needles-found-two-candy-bars-halloween/

 

True, but what we don’t hear about is the 99.9% of candy that is just fine. Being cautious is fine, being paranoid or spreading fear is not*. 
 

*not saying you are, just a general comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yep.  Like yes, you can find white nationalists giving each other the ok hand gesture.  Like, both of them.

Oh, agree. Once again the right is unfairly painted as bigoted because of the 5% that actually are bigoted. 
 

But, to be fair, liberals are painted as unpatriotic because of the 5% that actually are. So it’s a double edged sword,. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped using the okay symbol, because I thought it meant ...hole. My memory may be fuzzy, but I learned it from "Mr. Holland's Opus." I do remember, however, that the angle was different. (An angel has nothing to do with this.) Okay, I'm not remembering it right, and I don't want to look it up. Regardless, I stopped using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Oh, agree. Once again the right is unfairly painted as bigoted because of the 5% that actually are bigoted. 
 

But, to be fair, liberals are painted as unpatriotic because of the 5% that actually are. So it’s a double edged sword,. 

I have a neighbor. He is quite the progressive liberal. He's also the bishop of the other ward. He owns an impressive gun collection and participates in Constitutional freedom demonstrations.

*Shrug* people are complex, even in their politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I have a neighbor. He is quite the progressive liberal. He's also the bishop of the other ward. He owns an impressive gun collection and participates in Constitutional freedom demonstrations.

*Shrug* people are complex, even in their politics.

A bishop up north was a former democratic congressmen. Without question one of the kindest and most spiritual dudes I ever met. Great family too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LDSGator said:

A bishop up north was a former democratic congressmen. Without question one of the kindest and most spiritual dudes I ever met. Great family too. 

One of my dad's good buddies is the local democratic party sweetheart. My dad is a staunch Republican, and has expressed concerns about actually voting for him and just hopes the topic never comes up. Great guy, my dad just doesn't agree politically wilth him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Backroads said:

One of my dad's good buddies is the local democratic party sweetheart. My dad is a staunch Republican, and has expressed concerns about actually voting for him and just hopes the topic never comes up. Great guy, my dad just doesn't agree politically wilth him. 

I’m with your dad! I’m blessed to have a hard right friend I view as a brother and a hard left friend I also view as a brother. I’d never vote for them, they’d never vote for me. We all know this and no one cares. It’s called “being an adult”.  I think it’s sort of a bad sign if all your friends just spew out what you believe. Sounds like you want followers/clones, not actual people as friends. 
 

You lucked out @Backroads! Sounds like you got a great dad. 

Edited by LDSGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeremy A said:

I stopped using the okay symbol, because I thought it meant ...hole. My memory may be fuzzy, but I learned it from "Mr. Holland's Opus." I do remember, however, that the angle was different. (An angel has nothing to do with this.) Okay, I'm not remembering it right, and I don't want to look it up. Regardless, I stopped using it.

My wife absolutely loves that movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I’m blessed to have a hard right friend I view as a brother and a hard left friend I also view as a brother.

I keep telling you, I'm not that hard right.  But yeah, you got @mirkwood pegged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Backroads said:

I have a neighbor. He is quite the progressive liberal. He's also the bishop of the other ward. He owns an impressive gun collection and participates in Constitutional freedom demonstrations.

*Shrug* people are complex, even in their politics.

Interesting. I do not personally know any Dems who are anything but anti gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, NeuroTypical said:

You'd think such things would die quickly after five seconds of googling.  But you'd be wrong.

Barack Obama Nostalgia is Hitting America | FortuneObama and the FISA Court - WSJ

Oprah Winfrey smiles and gives the Okay sign during her time hosting...  News Photo - Getty ImagesWere You Silent or Were You Silenced? | Know Your Meme\

The 'OK' Sign And Bowlcuts Are Now Hate Symbols, Thanks White Men

Even the standard emoji (👌) for okay across the internet is a sign of white supremacy?????   Hmmmmmm must be systemic racisms everywhere as claimed. 

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at the images of those using this sign....I honestly think the only one that is using it as an anti-white meaning is Oprah Winfrey.  She can't deny that she is racist against white people.

The picture of Eddie Murphy was from Beverly Hills Cop released in 1984.  I remember seeing Obama use the symbol during many of his speeches.  I think it's just a gesture he used frequently kind of like Trumps circle gesture.  

 

CQZVHYIB5Q53HG2F5B52CNPINY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this