The peaceful relationship between L.D.S,. and Jews

DennisTate

One of the events of 1939 that could be tied in with L.D.S. church history is the M. S. St. Louis Saga.

The close relationship that Latter day Saints have had with Jews sets you up beautifully to really do something with the idea of a new time line where perhaps fishermen and fisherwomen meet the M. S. St. Louis and take the nine hundred and seven Jewish refugees to either Florida or perhaps Nova Scotia, Canada. 

I really like how L.D.S. church history does not attempt to blame events of the past entirely on non Latter day Saints.  

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1630&context=msr

2005 Jews and Mormons: Similarities and Differences Raphael Jospe

Israeli scholar Raphael Jospe encourages greater understanding and dialogue between Jews and Latterday Saints. He points out issues that divide the two groups and issues for which there may be common ground. He specifically addresses the often fruitful tension that exists between universalism and particularism in the two faiths, both historically and today.

Jews and Mormons: Similarities and Differences Background My topic, “Jews and Mormons: Similarities and Differences,” is not an obvious choice for an Israeli visiting America. Jews are overwhelmingly ignorant of and indifferent to Mormonism, even Jews who know something about other Christian religions or Islam. Indeed, a friend of mine, who is a highly respected Israeli scholar and who frequently lectures abroad, when he heard that I had begun teaching at Brigham Young University’s Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies, asked me whether it were true that Mormons still practice polygamy. To a large extent, Jewish awareness of Mormonism, however minimal, remains negative, due mainly to two Latter-day Saint practices widely regarded as offensive in the Jewish community: Missionary work (or proselytizing) and baptism for the dead (namely, posthumous baptism by proxy of non-Mormons, usually ancestors of a Mormon). Most Jews are unlikely to be aware, however, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has attempted to respect Jewish sensitivities on both these issues, which are, after all, fundamental practices of Mormonism. In an agreement submitted to Israeli authorities when the Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies was opened, the president of the church (Ezra Taft Benson) and the president of Brigham Young University (Jeffrey R. Holland) signed a solemn commitment (hung prominently next to the center’s dining hall) forbidding Latter-day Saint    proselytizing in Israel, and threatening any student, member of the faculty, or staff violating that commitment with immediate expulsion from the Jerusalem Center and from the country. Similarly, respecting Jewish sensitivity, especially after the Shoah (Holocaust), the church agreed in 1995 to stop the practice of baptism for the dead applied in a wholesale manner to Jews (although reaffirming the right of individual Latter-day Saints to baptize their own direct ancestors).1

Edited by DennisTate
add some more text to quote