Speculation - What is next?

Traveler

With this new year I am wondering what others in this forum are expecting in our new year of 2022?

I will begin with a few expectations.  Politically I expect that our society in the USA will become more divided and violent.  Economically, I expect that we will see inflation increasing.  As for international relationships - I expect that before this new year ends that the USA will send a few troops to a place of conflict as a mission of peace - but it will not be peaceful.  I also suspect that there will be a natural disaster that will politically be blamed on climate change.   I speculate that our COVID problem will find yet another cycle.

The Traveler

I hope:

- QE will ease, and getting-paid-by-the-govt-to-do-nothing will stop.  If that happens, I hope:
- Inflation will wash through our system and start falling back to reasonable levels.
- People will return to the workplace and our staffing shortages will ease.
- The global supply chain disruptions will ease.
- More people at work = fewer people being radicalized into violence on social media, so crime (including violent crimes) will start to go down.

- Omicron's fatality rate will be far less than the rest of COVID.  The ensuing variants will be even more benign, until we are back at flulike levels.
- Various politicians and media outlets will let go of COVID, the exact nanosecond the word stops driving outrage, votes, and clicks. 
- The world will continue spinning as it always has, with various domestic and global news items to engage us.
- As time passes, more and more transgender folks will transition back to their birth sex and get married to people of the opposite sex.  There'll still be plenty of T in the alphabet, but the nasty frantic edge will finish blowing through the culture.

Those are things I hope.  I wouldn't be surprised if worse things happen.

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

world will continue spinning as it always has, with various domestic and global news items to engage us.

Indeed. 

Your outlook has a TON to do with how you see the world of course. If you are convinced that world will end in two years, you'll read that into every news story. Ironically, that’s how the environmentalist left reacts to any story about the environment*. If you are convinced that the world is full of doom and gloom, it shouldn’t surprise anyone to hear you apply that to every news story.

*really radical feminists do this too. If you are convinced every man is a sexist, then you’ll see sexism in places where it just isn’t. 

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

My BIL lives in Broomfield.  I checked on them to see how they fared.  He said that the fires were about 10 miles from his house.  For a fire that big, 10 miles is not far.

Then they got hit with a blizzard.

Back to the topic: How do we know if this is "The End"?

The way to really tell if "the end is near" can be summed up in the proper application of one word:  Unprecedented.

Tragedies and political upheavals happen all the time.  But when we see something we've never seen before, we tend to take notice.  When we see several unprecedented things in close succession, that is when we might want to push the panic button.  I'm fairly isolated.  So if I'm aware of it, chances are it is affecting a LOT of people.

• We're all aware of the pandemic.  I don't know if we've ever seen that since the invention of sanitation.  A true pandemic.  I don't know if we've every had a "true" pandemic before.
  • We've never seen society as a whole (not just isolated incidents) forcing individuals to perform acts that they find morally objectionable from a deeply held moral/religious conviction.
  • We've never had a sitting President removed from office via impeachment.  People thought Trump would be first. And although Trump marked the third US Pres to be impeached, "removal" didn't happen.  Could it be Biden?  It looks like he'll be impeached (at least that is the political projection today).  But will there be enough Dems in the Senate to actually drop the axe?  We'll see.

Anything else that my isolated self has missed that has had a  TREMENDOUS affect on the majority of the global population (or even "of the developed world")?

Once is happenstance.  Twice is coincidence.  Three times in enemy action.  Maybe it isn't a Pres being removed from office.  It could be anything "unprecedented" that affects virtually the entire nation.  If we see three things in a row, that is not necessarily the end.  It is enough of a trend for us to wake up and take notice.  As we get closer to seven.  MAYDAY!!!

I don't know if the blaze in Colorado is enough to call "unprecedented".  The frequency and size of major wildfires has been gradually increasing for decades.  Only political alarmists are calling it unprecedented.

I'd look more to the "Death, disease, famine, and war" aspects that tend to cry out "the end."  

1. When we think of "death" we tend to think it will be from disease, famine, or war.  So, why the separation?  I think it is because "death" means a type of death that does not come from these other three.  e.g. murder rates are up in all major cities around the US this past year and this year as well.  Based on my study of statistics on many social aspects, this one is covered.
2. Disease: duh.  Nuff said.
3. Famine: We're on the verge of a world-wide famine due to supply chain issues.  I've certainly noticed it when going to the grocery store.  Empty shelves all the time.
4. War: We've had a relative peace in this world since the end of WWII.  If we see a true third World War, then we have what is called ... what is the word for a four-part "trifecta"?  Quadrafecta?  That sounds weird.  People don't like four-syllable words, much less words with secondary accents. 

Anyway, it may actually be a good thing that we have a weakling in the White House.  Too much show of force from the US may actually be enough for Russia & China (which are both doing a lot of saber-rattling recently) to get over their past differences and form an alliance against the west.  Side note:  My son was supposed to go to the Ukraine for his mission.  He got re-assigned to Layton, UT because of Russia's behavior.

On the one hand, if we send military aid to Ukraine, that could be the thing that pushes the situation over the edge.  On the other hand, if you've read about the history of the on-again/ off-again military aid to Ukraine... I don't know what to think about that.  It's all just a sad situation.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

3. Famine: We're on the verge of a world-wide famine due to supply chain issues.  I've certainly noticed it when going to the grocery store.  Empty shelves all the time.

This is the one that concerns me the most. In the beginning of 2021 I read an article that estimated one to possibly two million deaths as a result of the supply chains and people in specific areas not getting access to food that they have been used to receiving. I hope this will be more alarmist than factual.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

On the one hand, if we send military aid to Ukraine, that could be the thing that pushes the situation over the edge.  

Let's hope Russia doesn't go into Ukraine...we will do nothing, which will result in China going into Taiwan while we do....nothing...

- Covid will no longer be a concern for anyone

- Russia will continue being Russia and will probably claim Ukraine and stop all their Russiaing with respect to their border

- China will lay a stronger claim on Taiwan then stop their Chinaing once they have it 

- Middle East will keep middle easting, but nothing major done against the US itself.

- Major conflict continues to grow around Israel, perhaps this will be where our military focus will go

- economy blows up and life gets better. But the housing market will be entering a new phase of existence. Owning homes will no longer be part of the American dream. Only people who own homes will be people who inherit their homes and the rich. Renting will become the national standard.

- Internet 3.0, Meta Verse, NFTs and crypto currency will slowly creep in until we really cannot function in society without have digital property of some sort. We will all slowly start spending more and more time in virtual reality until Ready Player One, the Matrix, Jumanji, Tron, Twilight Zone, and Black Mirror are no longer seen as science fiction.

Edited by Fether

2 hours ago, Fether said:

…stop their Chinaing… 

Ok, gotta say, I’m an instant fan of the word “Chinaing”, which makes me an even bigger fan of you.  But I also gotta ask, why expect a people to stop acting like they are, just because a large objective gets reached?  It’s not like we expect humans to stop humaning…

We will all slowly start spending more and more time in virtual reality until Ready Player One, the Matrix, Jumanji, Tron, Twilight Zone, and Black Mirror are no longer seen as science fiction.

My company is working hard to bring such things into reality.  Virtual Reality, Augmented Really, wearables, IOT, we’re currently helping staff standards boards that are engaged in inventing 6G.

I’m ok if I don’t flying car, if they’ll invent a decent hologram projector. 🤣

Guest Godless
19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok, gotta say, I’m an instant fan of the word “Chinaing”, which makes me an even bigger fan of you.  But I also gotta ask, why expect a people to stop acting like they are, just because a large objective gets reached?  It’s not like we expect humans to stop humaning...

"I'm sure the British will stop Britishing once they've established their claim on Sierra Leone".

-some Nigerian dude 200 years ago

23 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Let's hope Russia doesn't go into Ukraine...we will do nothing, which will result in China going into Taiwan while we do....nothing...

This could bring about more - North Korea into South Korea?

But the one that I think would have the most interest concerning the Last-days would be Iran into Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia (Which is the Biblical land of Gog and Magog) as they also take over Iraq on their was to Israel. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 1/5/2022 at 10:51 AM, Anddenex said:

This is the one that concerns me the most. In the beginning of 2021 I read an article that estimated one to possibly two million deaths as a result of the supply chains and people in specific areas not getting access to food that they have been used to receiving. I hope this will be more alarmist than factual.

I can understand this being scary.  But here's what I've come to believe about this:  We get warning shots from the Lord.

1) I don't know how much food storage was emphasized prior to my birth.  But my parents took notice some time in the 70s (the stagflation recession) that the Church seemed to be re-emphasizing it again.  I don't know exactly what was said.  But it was enough to get my parents going on it.  From that point on, it became a part of Church culture.

2) During the Obama Administration we saw "The Great Recession".  And the panic button was hit again.

3) I believe this is the third warning shot that the Lord is providing us.  I don't know if I've ever seen empty shelves like this in my entire lifetime.

I don't believe the actual famine will happen now.  I believe we've just been given the third - and possibly last - warning shot.  After this recession / inflation season is over, we will have one more chance to stock up and do what the Lord has told us to do for 200 years.  The next time the scare happens, it won't be just a warning shot.  It will be the real deal.  What we see in the worst third world countries will happen in America.

Note:

• 70s Stagflation was an economic condition no economist had ever considered.  So, it was unprecedented.
  • The "Great Recession" was also considered unprecedented.
  • The level of empty shelves today??  I've certainly never seen it before in my lifetime.  Does anyone know if this is unprecedented?

Hmmm.  Interesting...  I really hope I'm wrong, but...

If we do a numerical analysis on these events, We're looking at an economic bomb being dropped prior to us coming fully out of this recession.  This is purely a numerical pattern based on years between events (which are flexible based on beginning, middle or end of those periods).  It has no basis in any economic principles.

Put that together with some apocryphal prophecies... I really hope I'm wrong.

Guest Godless

Speaking of speculation, I made a prediction in this forum a little over 5 years ago. We've seen evidence in recent months to suggest that I may have been right. I think we'll get a much clearer picture this fall.

https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/60241-who-won-the-debate/?do=findComment&comment=886561

Edited by Godless

21 minutes ago, Godless said:

Speaking of speculation, I made a prediction in this forum a little over 5 years ago. We've seen evidence in recent months to suggest that I may have been right. I think we'll get a much clearer picture this fall.

https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/60241-who-won-the-debate/?do=findComment&comment=886561

You were absolutely right about the idealogical war in the GOP between Trumpers/trad conservatives, conspiracy-Alex Jones types etc.  That war will be there for awhile. 

However (and this is a bitter pill for your side, but also an accurate statement) the American people (especially the suburbs)  ain’t wild about the democrats either.  Just ask Terry McAuliffe and that guy in New Jersey who almost lost the governor's race to an absolute political zero. 

In 2020 the GOP handed you guys senate seats in Iowa and South Carolina and your side basically said “No thanks” and lost. So while the GOP has lots of problems right now, the democrats aren’t exactly partying it up. The civil war in the GOP should have made all future elections lean heavily to the democrats, but that hasn’t happened. 

Edited by LDSGator

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

You were absolutely right about the idealogical war in the GOP between Trumpers/trad conservatives, conspiracy-Alex Jones types etc.  That war will be there for awhile. 

However (and this is a bitter pill for your side, but also an accurate statement) the American people (especially the suburbs)  ain’t wild about the democrats either.  Just ask Terry McAuliffe and that guy in New Jersey who almost lost the governor's race to an absolute political zero. 

In 2020 the GOP handed you guys senate seats in Iowa and South Carolina and your side basically said “No thanks” and lost. So while the GOP has lots of problems right now, the democrats aren’t exactly partying it up. The civil war in the GOP should have made all future elections lean heavily to the democrats, but that hasn’t happened. 

I agree. Democrats have a unique talent for shooting themselves in the foot.