Your gut and the spirit

Fether

I subscribe the Darren Daily, which is a daily video from Darren Hardy about success and excellence in life.

This morning he had a video about following your gut and he pointed out he never ever once regretted following his gut, nor had he ever heard someone say they regretted following their gut.

I shared his experience and it got me thinking. My gut feelings tend to be extremely reliable and I know in the past I have defined that “gut feeling” as being from the spirit. Can that feeling, in some way,  be related to the spirit?

Edited by Fether

It’s interesting you say that because some of the biggest mistakes I've made were when I trusted my gut over my mind. It’s not just me either. I’ve seen people “trust their gut” and lose money, burn relationships, and ruin their lives. 

Trusting your gut is nice, and I’m glad it works for you, but often times I hear people say that and get into massive trouble. Someone can “trust their gut” and run off with their secretary, leaving a long term relationship. Or, they can “trust their gut”, dislike a new co worker, and never give that guy or girl a chance, even if the new person does literally nothing wrong. I could go on. Your gut/instinct can lie to you too, but if you (generic) have a big/fragile ego you won’t be able to see it. 

I think most people should trust their mind and think things through rather than their gut. 

I think there is a such thing as a “gut feeling” that is a spiritual gift - but I also think it’s possible that not everyone has it; and that where the spiritual gift doesn’t exist, it’s fairly easy for the human psyche (or a deceptive spirit) to come in and fill the gap.  I think that’s one reason journaling is important—so you can log the feelings as they come, and with the benefit of hindsight and knowing how each instance turned out, get a better refined sense of the borderline between something that’s divine inspiration versus something that . . . isn't.

For myself:  I’ve found that gut feelings not to do something tend to be more reliable than gut feelings that I should do something.  And of course, D&C 8 (or 9?) reminds us that it’s a combination of heart and mind—we don’t give a blank check to either influence.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I have no idea what a gut feeling or a follow your heart is.  My relationship to such things (excuses?) is that whenever anyone does such a thing a train wreck is the result.  I am very much in the @LDSGator category.  I really do not know how things work for anyone else but any thought or idea always comes to me as a thought or idea.  I know myself quite well and I know how I think.  But to be honest most thoughts or ideas seem to come to me from somewhere else - other than my own thinking.  I am impressed that all intelligent creatures are capable of communication.  I believe to communicate with anyone else or something else requires thoughts other than what are your own.  The previous sentence is an example of a thought coming to me that seems to come from somewhere else.  This happens a great deal to me.

As I am sitting here typing my response to this thread and thinking on the subject that thought came out as I was typing.  Going back over the sentence I realized that it is something new to me and beyond what I was initially thinking.  The logic of the sentence is clear and obvious.  It also connects to many things I know to be true already.  The more I consider it - the more I believe and understand it to be true.  This bring more thoughts that it is a good thought that helps me - especially in connecting with others.  Now I know that not only is it true but that the origin of the thought comes to me from a G-d of truth.

This is a fine example of how I learn things.  Often someone says something and I start to get additional thoughts on the subject that connect this way.  I know I am being influenced by a good spirit.  Many times someone says something and I get very different thoughts.  If my thoughts are thought of anger - I know immediately that such thoughts are from unclean spirits.  Though I must admit that sometimes I respond to such thoughts.  It is a choice of mine.   Whenever I do it seems as though dark thoughts continue and become darker and less logical.  If I choose to continue following such thoughts they will begin to consume me and the only way out is through prayer.  Sometimes my wife, who I dearly love will remind me that I am not thinking right and need to pray about what I am dong.  And now I have another thought come to me that I find very logical.  Thoughts, when entertained will always lead to action (choices).  Actions (sometime words given to others) are either kind, compassionate, merciful and loving - or they are not.  When they are not - I must apologize or they become even less loving and kind.

From my youth I have had great difficulty with filthy words.  Such things hurt me spiritually.  I cannot watch an "R" rated movie with filthy words.  It is worse to me than eating filthy food.  It just makes me sick.  Arguments of anger do the same kind of things to me.  Filthy images are similar but filthy words are worse for me.  I do not seem to have a problem realizing when a thought is unclean or is pure and clean.  But I am astonished with how many seem confused with the logic of pure thoughts and chose to reject such for thoughts that are obviously illogical and lead a person to confusion and darkness and then anger and hate.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

It’s interesting you say that because some of the biggest mistakes I've made were when I trusted my gut over my mind. It’s not just me either. I’ve seen people “trust their gut” and lose money, burn relationships, and ruin their lives. 

Trusting your gut is nice, and I’m glad it works for you, but often times I hear people say that and get into massive trouble. Someone can “trust their gut” and run off with their secretary, leaving a long term relationship. Or, they can “trust their gut”, dislike a new co worker, and never give that guy or girl a chance, even if the new person does literally nothing wrong. I could go on. Your gut/instinct can lie to you too, but if you (generic) have a big/fragile ego you won’t be able to see it. 

I think most people should trust their mind and think things through rather than their gut. 

I would add that it works when I trust my gut while following the commandments and it’s on important matters. I remember times in my life making bets (not with money) based on a gut feeling and it too didn’t work out.

If I were to explain the confirmation I had in dropping out of college to move to Vegas (ok ok… this doesnt sound good so far) to work, I would describe it both as spiritual confirmation and as a gut feeling. I don’t know how to distinguish the two. Our experience there and since has been nothing but blessings.

Edited by Fether

6 minutes ago, Fether said:

I would add that it works when I trust my gut while following the commandments and it’s on important matters. I remember times in my life making bets (not with money) based on a gut feeling and it too didn’t work out.

If I were to explain the confirmation I had in dropping out of college to move to Vegas (ok ok… this is t sound good so far) to work, I would describe it both as spiritual confirmation and as a gut feeling. I don’t know how to distinguish the two. Our experience there and since has been nothing but blessings.

Ahh, okay. Makes more sense.

Still though, be careful. Often times “following your gut” and not thinking through while doing so can lead to mistakes. Even if what you are doing is totally moral. Ie-investing in a business. Your “gut” might be telling you that opening a new restaurant is fine, but when you crash and burn because it’s in a terrible location, well, there you go.

And that exposes a bigger problem. People who “trust their gut” almost always lack the humility to admit when their “gut instinct” leads them to mistakes.  They’ll blame everything else but themselves because they refuse to admit that they might have been wrong. 

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

For myself:  I’ve found that gut feelings not to do something tend to be more reliable than gut feelings that I should do something

Mine too, but I’ve been wrong before that way as well. In my personal life I’ve totally misread people several times. I’ve “trusted my gut” and thought Johnny was a real jerk, only to realize down the road that Johnny was actually a really good guy. 

Is it fair to say that all "inspiration" comes from one of three sources: the Spirit, ourselves, or the devil? If so then gut feeling is really just a manifestation of one or more of those sources and could vary from one person to the next. I personally don't like the terminology because it doesn't acknowledge the pros and/or cons of each source.

I am not bright, I am not especially spiritual, I am not especially good.  When the spirit speaks to me, it is a clear, unambiguous, transparently obvious experience.  I'm guessing that's so, because I'd miss or dismiss anything else. 

I know the difference between a gut feeling and an emotion, and my gut feelings have always urged caution or flight, usually with an increase of anxiety if I don't follow my gut.

I think trusting your gut is a useful tool. I agree with with a few of the previous comments if you get a gut feeling take time to think it out dont just react if you can. Some people confuse the feeling of a dopamine rush with the spirit. I think Bednars patterns of light give good advice on trusting your gut or following the spirit. If it's  a good decision do it anyway and take small steps through the fog.

Just wondering - anyone have a reference or any indication that Jesus ever followed his gut?  It is my impression that enlightened individuals follow a path of truth and light.  There was a movie (forget the name) where the hero was asked for his best guess.  His response was, "I don't guess".

The Traveler

On 1/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, Fether said:

I subscribe the Darren Daily, which is a daily video from Darren Hardy about success and excellence in life.

This morning he had a video about following your gut and he pointed out he never ever once regretted following his gut, nor had he ever heard someone say they regretted following their gut.

I shared his experience and it got me thinking. My gut feelings tend to be extremely reliable and I know in the past I have defined that “gut feeling” as being from the spirit. Can that feeling, in some way,  be related to the spirit?

Our gut hosts a "second brain" (enteric nervous system): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_nervous_system

It operates independently of our brain, but there is a connection with the autonomic nervous system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_nervous_system

These two systems communicate with each otherr: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/the-brain-gut-connection

Where he ENS and ANS communicate back and forth, there are active "links between digestion, mood, health and even the way you think."

But I'm sure you are referring to intuition, which is a function of personality type (see Myers-Briggs). As such, some people ahve it and some don't, in varying degrees of course. but can also be developed with a good degree of effort. The Holy Spirit works with all kinds of people and personalities, thoughts and feelings, and I'm sure with the ANS and ENS as well. We do not know the mechanisms by which the Spirit works with our spirit while it is connected to the elements of a mortal body, but our mortal body definitely plays a role.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:20 AM, Fether said:

I don't think those are the best words to describe what he is really trying to say which is to be spiritually minded.  Spiritually minded is different than the autonomic nervous system or "instinct" per se. These are familiar words but not exact and can cause confusion, I think it is best to describe them as spiritual promptings or listening to the Spirit or being spiritually minded. 

There's a difference between my gut feeling and what I feel when being told something by the still small voice.

My gut gets it wrong many times, while the still small voice normally is the right thing to do and if I ignore it I usually get in trouble.

Sometimes they conflict. 

One weird item that happened was with my vehicle one time when traveling.  It broke down on the High way.  My gut said it was time to call a Tow Truck and get a rental car.  The Spirit told me it was the Radiator and that I was leaking fluid somehow.  What's more is that it then helped me get it to a nearby gas station, get anti-freeze, figure out one area where when I poured the coolant in it was coming right out and how to avoid that (I was literally pouring it in and it was coming right out) what to do next to get the cooling system working, then feed in the anti-freeze and get it fixed up enough to get to the repair shop.  The Spirit can guide you to do things you know nothing about at times.  Though quiet, it can actually be quite directive at times with specific instructions.

Unfortunately I had already called the tow company based on my gut feeling, so I had to cancel the tow. 

Getting the Two truck wasn't bad, in fact it was probably a good idea and would have helped me out.  However, being able to use the vehicle and drive it to the repair shop probably saved me money, time, and effort overall and was a tremendous blessing from the Lord.

Two different things from two different sources that were separate courses of action.  I wouldn't say my gut instinct was wrong in that situation, or at least it wasn't going to harm me and could have helped, but the Lord helped me find a better solution that was a great blessing for me instead.

Balancing my faith in the leading of the Holy Spirit with the spiritual caution that the human heart is deceitful above all else, I must constantly seek the Spirit's guidance while remaining vigilant against blaming my own cravings on God. 😉

• 5 months later...

I missed this thread the first time around. Not sure I have anything new to offer. Discovering in my early 20s that "trusting my gut" was always, at least almost always, the most enjoyable and least painful option was a revelation to me. Learning to implement that insight into my life decisions has occupied a significant part of my life since that time.

I am grateful to a kind, merciful Father for allowing me these experiences, experiences that humble me and let me recognize my dependence on him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 7:20 AM, Fether said:

... in the past I have defined that “gut feeling” as being from the spirit. Can that feeling, in some way,  be related to the spirit?

The "gut feeling" is a mortal interpretation of all the inputs we are receiving at any given moment of introspection. 

• If most of the inputs come from the Lord, it closely approximates what the Spirit is telling you. 
  • If most of the inputs are from mortal stimuli, then you'll probably make a very mortal decision.

The "mortal decisions" are not necessarily wrong.  They are simply mortal decisions.

The "promptings" of the Spirit are quite different.  But they certainly can feed into your overall gut reaction to something.