DIY book binding.

Backroads

As I post this, I'm already googling this and fantasizing about making a new hobby. The backstory is my dog got a hold of a book my daughter was enjoying and ripped off the spine. The pages themselves are fine, and almost immediately I mused if I could rebind the book myself. It seems a fascinating world and wonder if anyone here has ever delved into it. 

On 1/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, Backroads said:

As I post this, I'm already googling this and fantasizing about making a new hobby. The backstory is my dog got a hold of a book my daughter was enjoying and ripped off the spine. The pages themselves are fine, and almost immediately I mused if I could rebind the book myself. It seems a fascinating world and wonder if anyone here has ever delved into it. 

A little bit.  Enough to get in trouble giving advice for it.  I've done it occasionally as I've made books for the students (where I didn't want to go the traditional printer's route, they charge a LOT more than if I do it myself.  edit - meaning a publisher will sell the books to the student at the book store for $60 -$120 where if I do it myself I can save them money and they buy it for $10-$15).  Several different ways of doing it.  Sewing will give a much stronger binding but takes longer and special machines.  Gluing is cheaper and faster (and normally will last a semester for the students, most of them only want it for that long anyways...and 1/2 of those books look like they never got opened anyways).

If you have a local printer, most have binding equipment that can bind it how you want or need to to be bound.

Edited by JohnsonJones