Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonJones

This is probably a controversial topic, but I can't help it [College Football topic].

Recommended Posts

UGA are now the National Champions (College Football).

Last time this happened I was in my 30s.

I am absolutely delighted!

It brings a smile to my face. 

And we beat Alabama to do it!

First Quarter was nail-biting.

Second Quarter was neck and neck.

Third Quarter was still hectic.

And the Fourth Quarter was when the Dawgs ran free.

Great game, but the outcome is the best part of it all.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

UGA are now the National Champions (College Football).

Last time this happened I was in my 30s.

I am absolutely delighted!

It brings a smile to my face. 

And we beat Alabama to do it!

First Quarter was nail-biting.

Second Quarter was neck and neck.

Third Quarter was still hectic.

And the Fourth Quarter was when the Dawgs ran free.

Great game, but the outcome is the best part of it all.

You deserve every minute of this, and all non-Georgia fans, like me, are ready to eat crow whenever you decide to serve it. 
 

Enjoy my friend, and congrats!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

You deserve every minute of this, and all non-Georgia fans, like me, are ready to eat crow whenever you decide to serve it. 
 

Enjoy my friend, and congrats!!!!

 

Speak for yourself.  I said Georgia would win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I have learned - that if sports is something that brings happiness depending on who wins or who loses - you will spend most of your life unhappy.

 

The Traveler

Sounds like the words of someone who is bad at sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I have learned - that if sports is something that brings happiness depending on who wins or who loses - you will spend most of your life unhappy.

 

The Traveler

Lol. As a die hard sports fan there is some truth to this. But, on the flip side, one of the best things about sports is that it teaches you that winning and losing aren’t permanent, so stay balanced. 
 

Sports can teach us dozens of life lessons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fether said:

Sounds like the words of someone who is bad at sports

 

5 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Yup. I was/am horrible at sports. I topped out at Little League and in TKD I get by on effort and refusing to quit. 

 

I never competed in the usual team sports beyond church ball - but back in the 60's I was on a softball team that won the all church wide tournament - but it was not because of me.  I do have a bronze in armature competition for skiing and cycling.  Currently cycling is a little bit of a disappointment - for the over 70 (I am 75) there is a guy that is 80 that always beats me and after my accident last year my wife has insisted that I quit competition.   Since I love her more than competing it looks like I am left with skiing and cycling for pleasure.

As for support for college teams - I have always been somewhat of a BYU fan.  Across all sports that BY U competes in - accumulatively they are ranked in the top 10 - but the football team laid and egg in their bowl game.  In basketball we lost our two centers for the season and thus struggle with national caliber teams. 

Even professional teams struggle.   There is only one champion so there the other 31 teams will disappoint their fans (some more than others).   And the team that is the champion will disappoint their fans more over the next 10 years than win championships.   So unless you enjoy routing for a looser (which I don't) reality will bring more disappointment than the joys of bragging rights.

But @LDSGator is right about lesson learned through sports.  For example - in the ancient Grease Olympic games, the title of those officiating the competition to make sure everything was fair was cheaters.  That term has a most interesting evolution in the longest existing sports on this planet.  Sometimes I wonder if sport competition bring less love and compassion towards the best of competitors. 

 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Traveler said:

 

 

I never competed in the usual team sports beyond church ball - but back in the 60's I was on a softball team that won the all church wide tournament - but it was not because of me.  I do have a bronze in armature competition for skiing and cycling.  Currently cycling is a little bit of a disappointment - for the over 70 (I am 75) there is a guy that is 80 that always beats me and after my accident last year my wife has insisted that I quit competition.   Since I love her more than competing it looks like I am left with skiing and cycling for pleasure.

As for support for college teams - I have always been somewhat of a BYU fan.  Across all sports that BY U competes in - accumulatively they are ranked in the top 10 - but the football team laid and egg in their bowl game.  In basketball we lost our two centers for the season and thus struggle with national caliber teams. 

Even professional teams struggle.   There is only one champion so there the other 31 teams will disappoint their fans (some more than others).   And the team that is the champion will disappoint their fans more over the next 10 years than win championships.   So unless you enjoy routing for a looser (which I don't) reality will bring more disappointment than the joys of bragging rights.

But @LDSGator is right about lesson learned through sports.  For example - in the ancient Grease Olympic games, the title of those officiating the competition to make sure everything was fair was cheaters.  That term has a most interesting evolution in the longest existing sports on this planet.

 

The Traveler

I do agree completely, just poking fun.

I’ve started to become hyper sensitive to things that drain my energy and make me mad. If I find something that does that, and I can’t change how it makes me feel, I remove it from my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fether said:

I do agree completely, just poking fun.

I’ve started to become hyper sensitive to things that drain my energy and make me mad. If I find something that does that, and I can’t change how it makes me feel, I remove it from my life.

You are a much better man than me.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

But @LDSGator is right about lesson learned through sports. 

One of the best thing about sports is that it teaches you about loss and being disliked. The first time you lose or someone screams at you, you break down and get flustered. But after it happens to you a few times it hurts less and less. Sure it still bothers you and you absolutely have to fight back (keep trying to  throw touchdowns, get up off the mat and punch back) but it bothers you less and less in the big picture. Having lost, oh, 25,000 times in TKD I know how it feels!!!!

Edited by LDSGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

You are a much better man than me.

 

The Traveler

I dont always succeed, just to clarify. But I’ll give some examples of things I’ve gotten rid of or changed.

- Sleeping longer than 8 hours. 6 1/2 - 8 hours is perfect. Anything less is insufficient and beyond that is unnecessary and almost always is a catalyst to a lazy day. Lazy days don’t make me happy so I no longer sleep longer than 8 hours. I use this rule instead of the “wake up early” rule. I still end up waking up really early most mornings, but the 8 hour rule gives me room to adapt when needed

- Studying controversial church topics. Regardless as to whether the article is faithful or not, it drains my energy to read those things. It’s intellectually stimulating, but fails to feed me spiritually. In fact it starved me more. I choose to love longer read those unless it is necessary to help someone. This is one I fail at often, but I am working on it

- Playing video games when I have other more important things to do. I save all video games for when my other tasks are done (like scriptures, journaling, preparing for the day, etc.) and only when my kids are asleep.

- Playing games online. This is one I am working on myself with. I’m trying to teach myself to not get angry when I lose to someone else online. This is similar to the sports thing you mentioned earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fether said:

I dont always succeed, just to clarify. But I’ll give some examples of things I’ve gotten rid of or changed.

- Sleeping longer than 8 hours. 6 1/2 - 8 hours is perfect. Anything less is insufficient and beyond that is unnecessary and almost always is a catalyst to a lazy day. Lazy days don’t make me happy so I no longer sleep longer than 8 hours. I use this rule instead of the “wake up early” rule. I still end up waking up really early most mornings, but the 8 hour rule gives me room to adapt when needed

- Studying controversial church topics. Regardless as to whether the article is faithful or not, it drains my energy to read those things. It’s intellectually stimulating, but fails to feed me spiritually. In fact it starved me more. I choose to love longer read those unless it is necessary to help someone. This is one I fail at often, but I am working on it

- Playing video games when I have other more important things to do. I save all video games for when my other tasks are done (like scriptures, journaling, preparing for the day, etc.) and only when my kids are asleep.

- Playing games online. This is one I am working on myself with. I’m trying to teach myself to not get angry when I lose to someone else online. This is similar to the sports thing you mentioned earlier.

- Sleeping -- In most cases I sleep until I wake up.  If something is critical I am more concerned about getting to bed than waking up.

- playing games -- I like playing physical games.  I have great difficulty with games of chance.

- Studying religious topics -- I love studying anything religious, scientific, political or social.  Most such writing is not well founded in logic.  Most religious material quotes about 1% of related scripture and lots of opinions (but only the opinions that agree with the intended premise)  - very little raw data (historical or research).  One exception was Hugh Nibley.  I usually avoid currently written stuff and tend towards stuff that has remained reverent for at least 50 years.  It is interesting that 99% of the climate stuff from 50 years ago was concerned about triggering a new ice age.  As per religious arguments (Christian) almost all arguments (controversies) are logically referenced in the Gospel of John with Jesus Christ dealing with the Scribes and Pharisees. 

A favorite scripture about religious things is Ecclesiastes chapter 1:

Quote

8 All things are full of labor; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no anew thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

It is called the New Testament but all things testified of in the New Testament were testified of in previous ancient texts.  It seems to me that whatever a person can religiously fantasize they can justify somewhere in Biblical scripture.

 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this