2 Nephi 24: 21

askandanswer

21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the ainiquities of their fathers, that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Is this verse an example of the Lord's prophet advocating death for one group of people because of another group? And if it is, would that be contrary to the idea that every person is punished for their own sins and not for someone else's? 

It’s a quotation of Isaiah 14:21.  Isaiah 14:4 prophesies of a taunting “song of scorn” (“proverb”, as the KJV renders it) that Israel will someday sing over the fallen king of Babylon, the text of which runs from verses 4 through 21.  It’s the Bronze Age equivalent of “your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries”.

Or, in other words:  poetry; not a call for bloodshed.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Children paying for the iniquities of their parents even unto the third and fourth generation is actually a common consequence of evil in the scriptures. We find it in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants. Though the D&C reference immediately points out that if the children repent then they will be forgiven. I think there is the underlying premise in all of these kind of scripture verses that children more often then not grow up to be like their parents and the evil that afflicts one generation will often continue to the next. In these situations death, as used by God, can actually be an act of mercy rather than punishment.

Edited by laronius

I would point out that just because someone is suffering (as we all do) that it is not always punishment.  Even within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there is sometimes a false doctrine circulated that those that suffer are being punished and those that seem to breeze through everything are blessed.

The Traveler

I’m reminded of Alma 3 where the allocates mark themselves to separate from the Nephites. It goes on to say that we bring upon ourselves our own Cursing. 

If I go and have sex with many women and contract HIV, every child I have from them on out has a high risk of getting HIV, and they too are passing that on to their children, and so on. This isn’t a curse from God, but rather a natural curse that was brought on by not listening to God.

Similar thing happens with the Lamanites. If I abandon society and join a savage blood thirsty tribe, all my children will grow up to be savage blood thirsty people .

I always understood the 2nd Article of Faith to be referring to Judgment Day and not at all what happens to us in this life. In the specific example of Adam's transgression, you could say that we ARE all "punished." Men are that they may have joy, but we are certainly here as a result of Adam and Eve's choice. As I understand it, the doctrine seems to say that it's only an earthly consequence and that we are all agents unto ourselves to choose eternal life or death amidst whatever circumstance we are in. That includes a fallen state, as well as poverty, disease, war, bondage, curses, etc. that may be a reality because of our parents' choices.

The belief, then, that we will be punished for our own sins means we do not have to repent for others' sins, even if they greatly affect our lives. We repent of our sins only. We are not held accountable for the Fall and do not need to repent for being fallen.

Edited by Comp