Justice Breyer to retire

LDSGator

Is this another indication that the Democrats are conceding; that they will lose, by a significant amount (too much to overcome between now and then) the midterm election.   I am of the mind that when it comes to politics - the obvious is seldom what is driving what is about to happen.

The Traveler

24 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Is this another indication that the Democrats are conceding; that they will lose, by a significant amount (too much to overcome between now and then) the midterm election.   I am of the mind that when it comes to politics - the obvious is seldom what is driving what is about to happen.

The Traveler

That might be true, but don't read too much into this. He has served for decades, it’s a high stress job, and he wants to retire when a democrat is in office so Biden can name a replacement. That simple. 

4 hours ago, LDSGator said:

That might be true, but don't read too much into this. He has served for decades, it’s a high stress job, and he wants to retire when a democrat is in office so Biden can name a replacement. That simple. 

What I've heard is that something along the lines of 20 Democrats in Congress have all announced plans to retire or seek office elsewhere. 

If the reports are true (I've been busy trying to keep up with news specifically in my field, entertainment), then this indicates that the Democrats know they're going to lose the midterms by a wide margin and people are getting out while they can still do so with dignity. 

As it is, a full blow-out in the midterms will likely mean that Biden won't get his first few choices for replacement through as he won't have a raw majority to ram-rod them in place. We might even see Breyer's seat be vacant until the next President is in office.

4 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

What I've heard is that something along the lines of 20 Democrats in Congress have all announced plans to retire or seek office elsewhere. 

If the reports are true (I've been busy trying to keep up with news specifically in my field, entertainment), then this indicates that the Democrats know they're going to lose the midterms by a wide margin and people are getting out while they can still do so with dignity. 

As it is, a full blow-out in the midterms will likely mean that Biden won't get his first few choices for replacement through as he won't have a raw majority to ram-rod them in place. We might even see Breyer's seat be vacant until the next President is in office.

Interesting.

After being humbled in 2016, when I thought Hillary would crush Trump, I no longer am in the political prediction field! Lol. 

3 hours ago, LDSGator said:

After being humbled in 2016, when I thought Hillary would crush Trump, I no longer am in the political prediction field! Lol. 

Succeeding at a prediction can be even worse.  Yeesh.  My funny whim of a prediction in early 2016 has been getting scarier every year as all the crap kept coming true:

image.png.012d05ee0ace490bc94249ba90beac97.png

Only two things left to happen in this prophecy.  The 'not speaking his name' thing, and the invasion by aliens.  Everything else has happened (at least by rough analogy).

Edited by NeuroTypical

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Succeeding at a prediction can be even worse.  Yeesh.  My funny whim of a prediction in early 2016 has been getting scarier every year as all the crap kept coming true:

image.png.012d05ee0ace490bc94249ba90beac97.png

Only two things left to happen in this prophecy.  The 'not speaking his name' thing, and the invasion by aliens.  Everything else has happened (at least by rough analogy).

Very cool. I disbelieve 99% of people who said they thought Trump would win-guess I have to believe you, lol. 

22 hours ago, LDSGator said:

If Justice Breyer names his replacement - I would believe you - other wise I am of the mind that there is much more going on under the covers.  Almost always, politics is far more treacherous than it seams (a lesson I learned reading the Book of Mormon and some personal experiences). 

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Almost always, politics is far more treacherous than it seams (a lesson I learned reading the Book of Mormon and some personal experiences). 

I made the decision a while ago to stop believing politicians are evil and the government is corrupt. I may be wrong or I may be right… who knows? But what I do know is that I’m happier and feel a LOT less anxiety

10 minutes ago, Fether said:

I made the decision a while ago to stop believing politicians are evil and the government is corrupt. I may be wrong or I may be right… who knows? But what I do know is that I’m happier and feel a LOT less anxiety

I used to feel that all politicians who disagreed with me had to be evil and part of some grand conspiracy, but as I got older I began to realize that someone can have vastly different views than mine and still be a moral person. 

13 minutes ago, Fether said:

I'm the same way. I happen to personally know a couple of local-ish politicians, and they're excellent people. 

I also wrote an impassioned letter to my representatives just yesterday, so apparently I'm not completely distrustful of them. 

2 hours ago, Traveler said:
On 1/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, LDSGator said:

If Justice Breyer names his replacement - I would believe you - other wise I am of the mind that there is much more going on under the covers.  Almost always, politics is far more treacherous than it seams (a lesson I learned reading the Book of Mormon and some personal experiences). 

The most dark and nefarious I can come up with, is Harris and the other people who are pulling Biden's strings and running the government through his addlebrained rubberstampery will come up with the new justice.  

And in that case, I honestly can't see them making any picks different than Biden would if he were in charge. 

Ketanji Brown Jackson, Leondra R. Kruger, Julianna Michelle Childs, Rae Jackson-Akiwumi, or Eunice Cheryl Lee.  Whether you're Biden, Harris, or the puppet string pulling shadow masters, that's your short list.

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Harris and the other people who are pulling Biden's strings and running the government through his addlebrained rubberstampery

The left said that about Bush and Cheney, Reagan and HW Bush, and I’m sure others throughout history.  I think we create conspiracies because it helps us understand vastly complicated issues and human nature. Ie-Kennedy assassination. It’s easier to blame some wild, extreme conspiracy than to accept the horrifying conclusion that one man can change history with one violent act. There are other reasons of course. 

15 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I'm the same way. I happen to personally know a couple of local-ish politicians, and they're excellent people. 

I also wrote an impassioned letter to my representatives just yesterday, so apparently I'm not completely distrustful of them. 

I think the overwhelming majority are good people who are trying to do what they think is best for the community.

55 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I used to feel that all politicians who disagreed with me had to be evil and part of some grand conspiracy, but as I got older I began to realize that someone can have vastly different views than mine and still be a moral person. 

For me I went from thinking liberals were all idiots, to realizing everyone wants the same thing, we just have different beliefs for getting there, to thinking everyone was corrupt and every conspiracy is true, to now choosing to believe everything is awesome and there is no corruption in the government

5 minutes ago, Fether said:

For me I went from thinking liberals were all idiots, to realizing everyone wants the same thing, we just have different beliefs for getting there, to thinking everyone was corrupt and every conspiracy is true, to now choosing to believe everything is awesome and there is no corruption in the government

Welcome to the government:

image.jpeg.4a9602a0f2932df60f13ab421db47a8d.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Fether said:
1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Truth is, whenever something's wrong, it's probably @LDSGator's fault.

31 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Truth is, whenever something's wrong, it's probably @LDSGator's fault.

And not just in the US either. Somehow its all his fault over here as well. It's amazing the influence and trickery that gator has. 

6 hours ago, LDSGator said:

The left said that about Bush and Cheney, Reagan and HW Bush, and I’m sure others throughout history.  I think we create conspiracies because it helps us understand vastly complicated issues and human nature. Ie-Kennedy assassination. It’s easier to blame some wild, extreme conspiracy than to accept the horrifying conclusion that one man can change history with one violent act. There are other reasons of course. 

Ehhhhhhh.....the Book Of Mormon tells us differently.  If you believe the BOM, but don't believe in conspiracies you don't really believe the BOM.

Whoever he chooses, Biden has less than a year to guarantee that it gets selected.

Because the Republican Congress pushed through it only required a majority, he only needs a majority to get his choice approved.  He currently has a majority, so, nothing can stop him as long as he gets all the Democrats to play ball.

There is no guarantee that he'll have the majority AFTER the mid-terms, so to be safe, he needs to get it done as quickly as possible. 

I don't see how this is the doom and gloom that some Republicans are calling it.  It's still a 6-3 majority, even IF Biden chooses someone who is from the far left.

Personally, I'd like him to see him give it to Merrick Garland, but I think that he's too moderate of a choice to appease the far left spectrum of Biden's associates these days.  Would have been a fine choice though.

Edited by JohnsonJones

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Personally, I'd like him to see him give it to Merrick Garland, but I think that he's too moderate of a choice to appease the far left spectrum of Biden's associates these days.  Would have been a fine choice though.

Agree, but Garland is on the older side for a supreme court nominee. Generally speaking, presidents view SC nominees as part of their legacy and want them to be there for a long time. 

Also, Biden seems pretty determined to nominate someone strictly on skin color, so Garland doesn’t fit. 

I would say something about conspiracies.   It only takes two people that agree on something to create a conspiracy.  It is unlikely that anything happens within human society except there is a conspiracy behind it.  However, there are two basic kinds of conspiracies - I will call them conspiracies of "light" or conspiracies of "darkness".  A conspiracy of light is one in which the purpose is open to the light of day for all to see and understand for who ever will.  A conspiracy of darkness is one in which there is a hidden agenda.  

A little story.  When I lived in Washington (Seattle area) I was part of the PTA organization and volunteered as a lobbyist at the state legislature.   At the time the state president of the PTA was LDS and a good friend of mine - which is the main reason I was involved.  During the course of our efforts a large sum of money was spend foolishly.  It was a mistake for which those involved at the upper echelons of the organization ware most sorry for - yes I also was involved in the mistake.  The result was that more money needed to be raised in order to correct and complete goals.  The governing board voted to cover up the mistake in raising additional funds but I would have none of it.  I stated that I would have no part in any cover up - however so seemingly minor the "conspiracy" seemed in the long run in accomplishing our purpose even though I was personally implicated.

The reason I bring up this story is to demonstrate how easily it is to become part of a dark conspiracy.  There is a theory that (especially in politics) when a mistake is made that there is a high proclivity to cover it up and that the cover up is enviably more evil and illegal than the initial act.  I believe this theory to be true and a most cleaver trap that Satan uses to snare otherwise honest intention individuals. 

As little time as passed already I am convinced that there is a dark conspiracy taking place with the resignation of Justice Breyer.  Especially that he is willing to step down before the present term for this year's Supreme Court actions is not completed.  The hidden agenda may initially seem to be something hardly worthy of consideration but I am concerned that this is not going to turn out well.

I agree that I am pessimistic in this case but it is because I have learned by my own sad experiences - that once one starts down the road of coverup the only possibilities will be worse than being transparent from the beginning.   The Supreme Court begins its cases starting the first Monday of October (by our Constitution) and usually ends by late June or early July.  If Justice Breyer is willing to step down having been involved in hearing before conclusion worries me big time.  What ever darkness is involved - I have great difficulty in rationing that it is not a matter of any concern - especially in the integrity of our nation's justice.  If it turns out that Justice Breyer completes this year's SS term - I will admit my over reaction.  If he is replaced before this term is completed - something dark is behind it.

The Traveler

54 minutes ago, Traveler said:

If he is replaced before this term is completed - something dark is behind it.

From where I'm standing, "something dark" is behind the majority of geopolitical and federal politics.  Regular old standard run-of-the-mill politics, that I see every day, is dark.

I don't see the point in assigning an emotional tone to such things.  I don't need Xfiles background music whenever I think about who will replace Breyer.  It's plain old every day politics, run by power brokers and behind-the-scenes manipulators.  The visible part is run visibly by politicians who follow the two great political commandments - thou shalt get power, and thou shalt remain in power.  Of course there are conspiracies and conspirators involved - why would anyone assume otherwise?

Ketanji Brown Jackson, Leondra R. Kruger, Julianna Michelle Childs, Rae Jackson-Akiwumi, or Eunice Cheryl Lee.  Whether you're light or dark, there's your short list.  I wonder which one they'll pick!

Edited by NeuroTypical