Justification/Sanctification and the Law

laronius

When it comes to the doctrines of justification and sanctification the scriptures seem to present an interesting relationship between them and the law. 

In 2 Nephi 2:5 it plainly states that "by the law no flesh is justified; or, by the law men are cut off." We also read in D&C 88:38-39 "And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions. All beings who abide not these conditions are not justified." To me this makes perfect sense because our inability to perfectly keep the law condemns us making us unjustified. It is only through the grace and mercy of God that we are forgiven of breaking his laws and thus become justified.

Meanwhile, the doctrine of sanctification appears to actually depend on the law. D&C 88:21 "And they who are not sanctified through the law which I have given unto you, even the law of Christ, must inherit another kingdom..." and then in verse 34 "that which is governed by law is also preserved by law and perfected and sanctified by the same." 

The way I interpret the two different relationships with the law is that while we are currently unable to keep the law perfectly, perfectly keeping the law is ultimately what is required of us. So the Lord extends his mercy to us when we mess up (justification) while seeking to strengthen us and increase our desire and ability to more fully keep the law (sanctification).

Is that how everyone else interprets these verses and these doctrines in general or is it something different/more?

I wonder if one could go so far as to suggest that it is the act of keeping divine law that (in conjunction with God’s enabling power) changes us in such a way as to sanctify us—that when we talk about the purpose of the Plan of Salvation being for us to learn and gain experience, it’s specifically to give us experience in obedience and to teach us through obedience.

In this paradigm, as I conceptualize it, we inevitably fall short; which not only constitutes a failure to achieve sanctification; but a fall from our primal state of innocence into a state of sin.  This, in turn required God to play not only an enabling role, but a redemptive role.  From a semantical standpoint, having sinned, we can’t really be restored to a state of true “innocence”; but we could at least be put in an analogous state called “justification” in which sin no longer has claim upon us, but in which we also haven’t (yet) really become what God through His plan intended for us to become (ie, sanctified).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I see sanctification as the process through which regular old stuff becomes sacred and holy.  We sanctify the bread and water (or really whatever we have that can fit the bill), and it becomes something sacred that stands as a symbol of the flesh and blood of Christ.  

Justification and redemption seem related.  Both takes fallen old sinful me, and somehow removes my failings and sins as obstacles in my path to return to God.

8 hours ago, laronius said:

The way I interpret the two different relationships with the law is that while we are currently unable to keep the law perfectly, perfectly keeping the law is ultimately what is required of us. So the Lord extends his mercy to us when we mess up (justification) while seeking to strengthen us and increase our desire and ability to more fully keep the law (sanctification).

Is that how everyone else interprets these verses and these doctrines in general or is it something different/more?

I will attempt to add a little of my understanding to the answers already given.

The symbolism of law is often represented by a two edge sword.  One edge protects the innocent the other side inflicts and brings down the guilty.  Likewise I believe there are two justifications in the law.  The first justification is the justification of those that are innocent - they are protected by the law and justified for their innocence.   The second justification is the justification to inflict the guilty.  

Once we understand justice we can move to understand sanctification.  I believe that @NeuroTypical was on the right track.  We are fallen and therefore all that we suffer in this life is justified according to our agency to become partakers of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  We can only be sanctified concerning or by the law through the redemption of Christ.  I have my personal theory as to why Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient to justify and sanctify and only his sacrifice (not anyone else) - not just for our fall from grace but to redeem our guilt for all our sins of our probation.    When we say we are sanctified by the law through to Atonement of Christ.

According to the Gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ we will be pardoned of the fall.  But there is something else the must be to fulfill the law.  This comes as to additions because of the Atonement of Christ.  The first addition to come to us through Christ are the ordinances of salvation.  The second additions is parallel to the ordinances and is the covenants of Christ - the first being baptism by emersion for the remission of sins.  However, we must also receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by those called by Christ through the priesthood of Christ.  Through the power of the Holy Ghost we are sealed (sanctified) by the Law that was established from the Beginning. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 1/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I wonder if one could go so far as to suggest that it is the act of keeping divine law that (in conjunction with God’s enabling power) changes us in such a way as to sanctify us—that when we talk about the purpose of the Plan of Salvation being for us to learn and gain experience, it’s specifically to give us experience in obedience and to teach us through obedience.

In this paradigm, as I conceptualize it, we inevitably fall short; which not only constitutes a failure to achieve sanctification; but a fall from our primal state of innocence into a state of sin.  This, in turn required God to play not only an enabling role, but a redemptive role.  From a semantical standpoint, having sinned, we can’t really be restored to a state of true “innocence”; but we could at least be put in an analogous state called “justification” in which sin no longer has claim upon us, but in which we also haven’t (yet) really become what God through His plan intended for us to become (ie, sanctified).

I agree with you that the purpose of this life is NOT to return to the Garden of Eden. To most in the Christian world Adam and Eve were already at their pinnacle and they blew it. And the current desire of many of these same Christians is to return to a paradisiacal state.  So I guess if they end up in the Terrestrial Kingdom they will have achieved their desire. But the restored gospel teaches us that that level of accomplishment is as the moon to the sun in our potential. 

I also agree with you that obedience is the process of becoming sanctified. Consider what Pres Woodruff taught:

Whatever law anyone keeps he is preserved by that law, and he receives whatever reward that law guarantees unto him. It is the will of God that all His children should obey the highest law, that they may receive the highest glory that is ordained for all immortal beings. But God has given all His children an agency, to choose what law they will keep.

I would equate the word "preserved" as he uses it with sanctify. We will be preserved, sanctified, saved, to the extent that we obey His laws and will then inherit a kingdom of glory in accordance to the law we obey. The glory of God, and I think it's safe to say the glory of each kingdom, is intelligence or in other words, light and truth. D&C 88: 13 tells us that "the light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things... is the law by which all things are governed..." So in other words we will inherit the kingdom of glory or light that we allow ourselves to be governed by.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:05 PM, Traveler said:

I have my personal theory as to why Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient to justify and sanctify and only his sacrifice (not anyone else) - not just for our fall from grace but to redeem our guilt for all our sins of our probation.    When we say we are sanctified by the law through to Atonement of Christ.

According to the Gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ we will be pardoned of the fall.  But there is something else the must be to fulfill the law.  This comes as to additions because of the Atonement of Christ.  The first addition to come to us through Christ are the ordinances of salvation.  The second additions is parallel to the ordinances and is the covenants of Christ - the first being baptism by emersion for the remission of sins.  However, we must also receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by those called by Christ through the priesthood of Christ.  Through the power of the Holy Ghost we are sealed (sanctified) by the Law that was established from the Beginning. 

The Traveler

To me it sounds like you are speaking of the dual but interwoven processes of becoming one with Christ and being born again wherein our identity is lost in Christ (perhaps some divine camouflage from the demands of justice) and then being reborn in a newness of life, free from the debts of our old selves.

4 hours ago, laronius said:

To me it sounds like you are speaking of the dual but interwoven processes of becoming one with Christ and being born again wherein our identity is lost in Christ (perhaps some divine camouflage from the demands of justice) and then being reborn in a newness of life, free from the debts of our old selves.

There are three elements in the plan of salvation.  They are the Law, the ordinance and the covenants.  To receive a law (commandments) we accept the ordinance and through the ordinance we establish a covenant.  We cannot have the Gift of the Holy Ghost without the ordinance to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands through a proxy (ordained priesthood holder) of G-d.  The ordinance establishes the covenant so we can become governed by the Law in order that we are justified by the Law.  But we cannot have any ordinances without repentance - and there is no repentance except through the Atonement of Christ.

I have no concept or idea why you think we loose our identity of our individuality.   Only that the more we become attached to righteousness (meaning that we find joy in obeying the Law, participating in ordinances and keeping our covenants) as opposed to wickedness (which is a proclivity to transgress the law, change the ordinances and break our divine covenant).

The Traveler