Need some dad wisdom

Fether

My wife and I bought this wonderful table about 2 years ago. It looked great, was big enough for our growing the family to last a long time, and was priced fairly well.

However, shortly after we got it I found that each of the 5 chairs and bench have about 10,000 screws and bolts each. I have spent the last two years retightening the screws and bolts over and over.

Today was almost the last straw. I was already fairly grumpy when we sat down to dinner. My so. Sat in the bench and I heard the dreaded sound of a nail bouncing on our floor. I about lost it. This can’t be normal! Is this what fatherhood is all about retightening screws for eternity? Are there chairs and tables out there that don’t have this problem? Is there a permanent fix?

10 hours ago, Fether said:

Is this what fatherhood is all about retightening screws for eternity?

Spiritually speaking, I would say so. 

Sounds to me like there is a future sacrament meeting parable you are being blessed with here… 

Temporally speaking, @Grunt summed up the solutions to the issues, at least for a time and less frequently. 

But spiritually speaking, are there daily, weekly, monthly, and annual “screws” that a father should retighten for/with his children? Do those become burdensome or flat out annoying at times? Is there spiritual locktite that can be applied? (Just spitballing here!) 

2 hours ago, Colirio said:

But spiritually speaking, are there daily, weekly, monthly, and annual “screws” that a father should retighten for/with his children? Do those become burdensome or flat out annoying at times? Is there spiritual locktite that can be applied? (Just spitballing here!) 

Spiritual lock washers:

- Knowing what you believe, and why you believe it.
- Understanding which gift of the spirit is yours, and which aren't.
- Choosing principles that guide your life, instead of trying to figure out what to do in every situation.

5 hours ago, Fether said:

Is it possible for someone to cut down a massive redwood trees and just carve a kitchen table and chairs from the trunk? No need for screws or bolts!

This only solves a smaller problem by creating a much bigger one.  I think you would make a great politician.  😎

The Traveler

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

I was just reading from a 40-year-old book about carving a table from a tree...

Interesting - I am seeing more and more that wooden beams for construction that are being made from gluing several layers of two by fours rather that one solid wood beam.  That laminated wood is stronger than solid wood.  Back when I was into making my own bow for hunting - laminated bows were both stronger and more durable than a solid wood bow.

It is also my understanding that civilization made significant advancements when we learned to make items with interchangeable parts - resulting in mass production via assembly lines.  It is also my opinion that mankind will never reach a Kardashev civilization scale of I utilizing resources in a manner of carving entire tables from a single tree.

The Traveler