The 4th commandment

askandanswer

For those who rest from their usual labours on Saturday, and take the time to play sport or go hunting, or stay at home, do a rado trip or whatever, are they violating the 4th commandment? Most of us have become accustomed to working 5 days a week whereas this commandment clearly commands us to work for six days. Probably there are many of us that do work 6 days a week, but for those who only work 5, are we violating this commandment, or is there a teaching from the church somewhere that gives us an exemption?

Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;

7 hours ago, askandanswer said:

For those who rest from their usual labours on Saturday, and take the time to play sport or go hunting, or stay at home, do a rado trip or whatever, are they violating the 4th commandment? Most of us have become accustomed to working 5 days a week whereas this commandment clearly commands us to work for six days. Probably there are many of us that do work 6 days a week, but for those who only work 5, are we violating this commandment, or is there a teaching from the church somewhere that gives us an exemption?

As I understand, there are six days that we are to use the do the works of this world.  I believe that this also includes our leisure and recreation.   The 7th day we are to use for the purpose of preparing for spiritual things and living with G-d.  The word translated from the ancient Hebrew to demonstrate this is translated into "rest".  When the righteous (those that have and keep covenants) leave this mortal existence they enter the "rest" of G-d.  Likewise the Sabbath is called the day of "rest".

It is my understanding that as we devote our 7th day so shall our eternity be shaped.  If we want to watch football - then such is the proper activity.  If we want things for eternity then we should shop for such thing on the Sabbath.  If we desire to serve G-d and our fellow men - then that is appropriate for us to do for our Sabbath.   As I understand scripture - Hebrews Chapter 4 explains this notion of the a day of rest and entering into the rest of G-d by our faith in keeping the Sabbath Covenant.

the Traveler

Edited by Traveler

5 minutes ago, Traveler said:

As I understand, there are six days that we are to use the do the works of this world. I believe that this also includes our leisure and recreation.   

Where do you get this idea from? The commandment clearly refers to working on the 6th day.

4 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Where do you get this idea from? The commandment clearly refers to working on the 6th day.

From Hebrews chapter 4.  You may find verse 10 quite interesting. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

2 minutes ago, Traveler said:

From Hebrews chapter 4.

The Traveler

Hebrews 4 relates to the 7th day.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the aseventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

I'm asking about the 6th. 

14 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work

The commandment says SIX days shalth thou labor and do all thy work. Not 5 as has become the common practice. Not 7, as is also become too frequent. Six. If we are working anything other than 6, are we breaking this commandment?

4 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Hebrews 4 relates to the 7th day.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the aseventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

I'm asking about the 6th. 

I believe the scriptures are saying we have 6 days to devote to ourselves - our needs and wants.  To do our "works".  

The Traveler

7 hours ago, askandanswer said:

The commandment says SIX days shalth thou labor and do all thy work. Not 5 as has become the common practice. Not 7, as is also become too frequent. Six. If we are working anything other than 6, are we breaking this commandment?

Do you not do chores, shopping, cooking,  and other housekeeping over the weekend?  That is part of our labors too. 

It is my personal belief that we can work and labor on the Sabbath but with a different purpose and covenant.  That the Sabbath is a rest for doing such things as a specific covenant with G-d - first because he asks us to devote that day to Him.  There are many (some on this very forum) that I have heard that devoting part of their Sabbath to worship with other Saints is not comfortable for them.  It is my understanding that part of the reason for this discomfort is because they are intending to satisfy something for themselves rather than G-d.

When the spirit led me to this understanding (while serving in a bishopric) I began to prepare our Sabbath dinner.  I did this as a service to G-d and my wife that prepared all our other meals.  With all my Sunday obligations because of my calling - such was most difficult and required much planning and extra effort.  It is interesting because it became a joy and a favorite, not just for me but for the entire family - especially my wife.  I have shoveled snow, done emergency reparses (mostly for others) made visits (sometimes to hospitals) and on accessions done more hard labor on the Sabbath than any other day.  The difference is that I have dedicated all my efforts to G-d and as service to my fellow man according to my covenant with G-d.

The Traveler

17 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I would count recreation as work and labor since it is working to maintain our bodies, minds, family relationships (wholesome recreational activities), etc. The labor of a 2-week vacation is to recreate.

From https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2003/06/a-rock-solid-foundation-for-marriage?lang=engOne of President Young’s daughters recalled that he had taught: “Life is best enjoyed when time periods are evenly divided between labour, sleep and recreation. All men, women and children should labour; all must sleep; and if mental and physical balance is to be maintained, all people should spend one-third of their time in recreation which is rebuilding, voluntary activity—never idleness. ‘Eight hours work, eight hours sleep, and eight hours recreation’ was Brigham Young’s motto.” 

From @NeuroTypical's reference, "some Jewish leaders made many unnecessary rules about the Sabbath." I suppose the same can be said of how we treat the other six days mentioned in this commandment!

14 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

This chapter has some good things too. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-27-work-and-personal-responsibility?lang=eng

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Do you not do chores, shopping, cooking,  and other housekeeping over the weekend?  That is part of our labors too. 

Doesn’t count. Also, retired people are under severe condemnation.

10 hours ago, mordorbund said:

Doesn’t count. Also, retired people are under severe condemnation.

Interesting that you think so.  I work harder (more manual labor) in my retirement than I ever did when I was working at my white collar job.  But I am put to shame by an older gentleman in our neighborhood.  Not far from my home is a city park across the street from a chapel.  The street is tree lined and on a hill that has a wall to separate the street some upscale neighborhoods.  The street is pleasant  and is used by joggers and cyclists as access to the park with path ways and other items of recreation. 

There is an old guy (obviously retired) that spends most of his day in a power (electric) chair very laboriously sweeping and raking to add his personal touch to the already beautiful place.  I do not know who he is but I see him often.  I have thought of taking some pictures of him working and posting them on this forum.  He is bent over in his chair and sometime he gets out of his chair and craws to accomplish something and craws back to his chair and with great effort gets back in the seat.   I do not know but he looks like he is in somewhat pain in his determination to make the street a little more pleasant.  There is never anyone helping him or working with him - maybe he is a little grumpy and difficult to be around.  But for whatever reason he has been there most every day for sever years working in the heat of the sun or the cold of winter or even the rain doing a service.

The Traveler

On 2/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, askandanswer said:

Capitalism called. They would like to hire you as a lobbyist.

3 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

More seriously: define "work."  

I think it's fair to assert that "work" does not have to be "employment." 

Having spent a weekend in Israel they have very interesting views on what is work.  Their theory is that anything that corresponds to the activities of the 6 days of creation are the "work" that should not be done on the Sabbath.  So turning on a light would be considered work but having automatic lights turning on is not breaking the Sabbath.  At hotels there are Sabbath elevators that go up and down stopping at each floor that can be used for those that do not want to break the Sabbath.

It is my personal belief that your efforts to "define work" is the very thing that Jesus attempted to get away from when he said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.  I am impressed that those that attempt to create a list of do's and don't's for the Sabbath have missed the mark and completely become lost in the intent of Sabbath.  I am impressed that our Sabbath Day should be focused on drawing nearer to G-d and spiritually uplifting our fellow men.  If the spirit is not making clear to you what the Sabbath is for - then I would suggest that there is something wrong with your spiritual understanding of the Sabbath.

The Traveler