Cancer (and its treatments) sucks!!!!

MrShorty

I know we butt heads sometimes on different conservative vs. progressive issues, but I'm going to lay my soul bare -- maybe to avoid the $200/hr therapist's bill that I'm tempted by. For Christmas, I gave myself a colorectal cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately, I did not purchase the diagnosis at Costco or Walmart or similar that would be more than happy to take it back, so I'm stuck with it. I had no symptoms, so life seemed pretty good, then chemotherapy started. Can I just say that chemo is a strong contender for "the cure is worse than the disease"? Okay, I know that chemo is part of saving my life, where the cancer would eventually kill me, but, in the short term, it sure is rough.

4 of 8 chemo cycles are down already, just starting number 5. I am not looking forward to this weekend. After the chemo, then they want a round of radiation+chemo, before the surgeon goes in and cuts out the bottom end of my GI tract. Nothing to look forward to. Well, that's not true, I can look forward to 90% or better chance of a full cure by the end of it all, but that payoff at the end sure seems a long way out and it gets hard to keep it in mind when the short term effects of the treatments are so miserable.

Anyway, not sure I expect anything from the group. Maybe just encouragement. Certainly prayers on my behalf. Maybe a place where I can anonymously complain about my lot in life and how hard it is (as if my life is really all that hard, I'm sure there are people worse off -- Ukrainians come to mind as well as other patients with a much less optimistic prognosis), but still I feel a bit beaten down by a normal part of a fallen, mortal world.

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

You will endure and survive the treatments like a rockstar, and then you'll live a happy and full life afterwards like a rockstar. 

I feel like I need/want to burn this onto the inside of my eyelids so I can see it every time I close my eyes.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

I'm glad to read the 90% rate of success for your treatment. As to "lot" in life, it is one aspect of this life I completely do not understand where God's mercy/justice, fair/unjust, or curse/blessing meet and do not cross/rob each other.

Reminds me of Ammon and his brethren whose lot (the brothers) fell among a more hardened Lamanite society. This Telestial world brings with it laws and mortality that are confusing, sorda like a child being diagnosed with Lukemia when they only thought it was a tough cold.

Reminds me of the young husband who lost his wife in a horrific car accident and the only consolation he found was from a widow who said, "I know people want to be faithful and say faithful things, but let's be frank this really sucks"!

I can't offer anything worthwhile except what you petitioned and that is prayers and a listening/reading ear through this time for ya.

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

the only consolation he found was from a widow who said, "I know people want to be faithful and say faithful things, but let's be frank this really sucks"!

I'm finding the same thing. Sometimes, all you can say is, "I feel terrible right now." While, at the same time, holding onto the hope deeper down that the this really sucks part will eventually be replaced with better.

I am so sorry to hear that.  I'll certainly be willing to add you to the list.

Just to give you hope, I'm already praying for one dear friend who's just finished his last cycle.  He believes he has fully recovered.  His doctors are still doing some final tests before they're willing to declare him cancer free.  But all the evidence so far looks positive.

I also have niece who is dealing with a lymphoma in her spine. We're all praying for people here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, MrShorty said:

Time to execute "apply tenacity to illness" routine.

MrShorty,

I just wanted to let you know that my family have asked for your name was when I mentioned "my friend" in our prayers.  They noticed that I lumped you in with my niece, our family friend, so they realized you must have cancer. I didn't feel right calling you "Mr. Shorty" in a prayer.  So, I've begun calling you "Marty".   They know who I mean, and more importantly, the Lord does.

Edited by Carborendum

A quick thank you to all who are including me in their prayers. I can appreciate the awkwardness around praying for someone by internet handle, but, as already noted, God knows.

For a quick update. Today starts cycle 6 of 8 (for this part of the overall treatment). There's a light at the end of this tunnel.

Here's some more hope to spread around.

My family friend I spoke of:  They finished the last treatment a little while ago.  The testing said that he was ready for surgery to remove the pieces of the (hopefully) dead cancer that remained.

Today he went in for surgery.  The doctors said they were able to completely remove it.  I understand this was a rare thing.  But the remains came out in one big clump instead of breaking into tiny pieces which corresponds to a higher rate of relapse.

He's completely cancer free.  Now he just need to recover from surgery and he's good to go.  Our prayers were answered.

We're sure happy for him.  But I'm sure we can't be as happy as his family.

Dear @MrShorty I will express as best as I can - sorrow for your circumstance.  Though I do not know you (except through your avatar) and because I do not relate well to compassion.  I am very logic based.  It is difficult for me to comprehend or understand your circumstance.  Not because I have not faced difficult trials myself but my trials seem to be somewhat under my control or input.  Your case is difficult for me because there is nothing you have done to deserve it and you are in the hands of someone else for a final resolution.   Realizing that I cannot do anything to assist and must rely on prayer - and yet not knowing what end will become of it I am uncertain of what is an expression of faith.

However, I must say facing such an obstacle with the courage you have shown is incredible in my book.  Regardless of the outcome - I believe you to be better for your expression of courage - which I greatly admire and it is something that inspires me.  Thank you for sharing your story and your example of courage.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much people here want an update, but here it is anyway. While it's not the end of the road, but today starts my last chemo cycle. Just have to get past this weekend, and we can move on to the radiation oncology phase. As rough as chemo is, I'm sure looking forward seeing chemo in the rearview mirror.

Most recent CT scan suggests that the chemo round has been successful at shrinking the main tumor some, which is the main goal of the chemo and radiation phases. The radiation phase should shrink it more, making it easier to cut it all out. In short, there is still lots of room for optimism. Just need to endure the intermediate steps.

19 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Most recent CT scan suggests that the chemo round has been successful at shrinking the main tumor some, which is the main goal of the chemo and radiation phases. The radiation phase should shrink it more, making it easier to cut it all out. In short, there is still lots of room for optimism. Just need to endure the intermediate steps.

Keep us updated please. Glad chemo has been working. 

• 3 weeks later...

For Star Wars day, I get to start the radiation phase (5-6 weeks) of my treatment plan. I'm a little disappointed that I have not recovered more from chemo (recovered a lot during week 2, but seems to have plateaued on week 3), but I'm in pretty good shape.

I'm tempted to find some glow-in-the-dark body paint or something so I can make myself "glow." :) (I still have a sense of humor).

2 hours ago, MrShorty said:

For Star Wars day, I get to start the radiation phase (5-6 weeks) of my treatment plan. I'm a little disappointed that I have not recovered more from chemo (recovered a lot during week 2, but seems to have plateaued on week 3), but I'm in pretty good shape.

I'm tempted to find some glow-in-the-dark body paint or something so I can make myself "glow." :) (I still have a sense of humor).

We’re still praying for you bro. Thanks for the update.