Sign in to follow this  
MrShorty

Cancer (and its treatments) sucks!!!!

Approaching the half-way mark of the radiation (+ a little chemo) phase. My first thought when I entered the radiation room with the large linear accelerator they use was of the computer game Theme Hospital (which has morphed into its modern version, 2 Point Hospital). Brief summary of the game -- it's a simulation type of game where you are tasked with managing a hospital (in a world with some rather amusing ailments). Part of your job is building rooms and machines that diagnose and/or treat the different diseases. My first thought as I entered the linear accelerator room was to think that this looks an awful lot like something out of Theme Hospital.

Anyway, the first couple of weeks weren't too bad. I was recovering from chemo and the radiation hadn't really started to effect (or affect??) me. At this point, I am beginning to feel the effects of the radiation. Biggest effect so far (if it's not TMI) -- well I'll leave it to your imagination -- but I expect people can make reasonable guesses at what might happen when you start to burn and irritate the bottom end of your bowels.

A little over 3 more weeks, then I'm done with all of the oncology stuff (assuming we've managed to kill everything outside of the main tumor). Then we can talk about surgery (but let's not hurry to get there).

18 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

Approaching the half-way mark of the radiation (+ a little chemo) phase. My first thought when I entered the radiation room with the large linear accelerator they use was of the computer game Theme Hospital (which has morphed into its modern version, 2 Point Hospital). Brief summary of the game -- it's a simulation type of game where you are tasked with managing a hospital (in a world with some rather amusing ailments). Part of your job is building rooms and machines that diagnose and/or treat the different diseases. My first thought as I entered the linear accelerator room was to think that this looks an awful lot like something out of Theme Hospital.

Anyway, the first couple of weeks weren't too bad. I was recovering from chemo and the radiation hadn't really started to effect (or affect??) me. At this point, I am beginning to feel the effects of the radiation. Biggest effect so far (if it's not TMI) -- well I'll leave it to your imagination -- but I expect people can make reasonable guesses at what might happen when you start to burn and irritate the bottom end of your bowels.

A little over 3 more weeks, then I'm done with all of the oncology stuff (assuming we've managed to kill everything outside of the main tumor). Then we can talk about surgery (but let's not hurry to get there).

Thanks for the update. Stay strong my friend.