Is Third Hour defunct?

caspianrex

I haven't checked in here for quite some time, and I noticed that, even though there are a few recent posts here on the Forum, the main page of ThirdHour.org has no new articles since about February of 2021...over a year ago. So is the website itself basically defunct? If so, how long will the Forum continue to exist?

Just curious...

image.thumb.png.856e0b445a8f5b51e35de0521c8e18b8.png

From what little I know, Third Hour is in a state of “limbo” right now. The future is sort of unknown at this time. That’s sad, but nothing lasts forever in this world. 

*all I “know” is based on what the mods have said here. I have no insider information or anything like that. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

From what little I know, Third Hour is in a state of “limbo” right now. The future is sort of unknown at this time. That’s sad, but nothing lasts forever in this world. 

*all I “know” is based on what the mods have said here. I have no insider information or anything like that. 

There's a Facebook group that has been set up, and there was talk about potentially setting up a Discord server. 

I'm already on Discord, where I'm a part of multiple servers and even a moderator for one of them, a server dedicated to various STEM topics such as meteorology and communications technology. I even posted an invite to the latter server if people wanted to jump on it and start probing around. 

I have long felt that the content on the main page is different from what is going on here in the forum. It feels to me like this forum still has a strong core of long time members that will keep the forum going for a while (though, if Sears and Roebuck is any indication, a long history is no promise of future viability).

My impression is that the forum has slowed down some, perhaps mostly because I don't see as many "new trolls" who come in and start something controversial that gets the group's dander up. I mean, how long has it been since our last good creation/evolution debate? It seems like it's been a while. To be fair, though, it's not like yet another creation/evolution debate is going to bring up anything new. We've been having the same evolution/creation debates since the early 20th century, always with the same (non) conclusion -- we just don't know and the Church doesn't want to take sides. Most of the good controversies that drive traffic on a site like this are old news. We've had the discussions before (sometimes ad nauseum) almost always with the same (non) results. I feel like the Ecclesiast when he said there's nothing new under the sun.

I guess it seems to me that, while third hour is not necessarily shying away from the controversies, it also isn't getting as much traffic interested in rehashing yet again the common controversies. I could be reading the room wrong, but I'm not sure that the main group is too bothered by being left out of the center of those controversies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 5:24 PM, Ironhold said:

There's a Facebook group that has been set up, and there was talk about potentially setting up a Discord server. 

I'm already on Discord, where I'm a part of multiple servers and even a moderator for one of them, a server dedicated to various STEM topics such as meteorology and communications technology. I even posted an invite to the latter server if people wanted to jump on it and start probing around. 

I think I'll give Discord a miss. I used to get into a lot of "bad stuff" there. Though I've cleaned my life up (or more precisely God has cleaned my life up) there's no point raking up old temptations.

Been a member here for quite a while, but never much of a "poster" as I always seemed to find what I was looking for elsewhere. But as was already pointed out... many of the other sites have gone the way of Sears and Roebuck. I'm not looking for anyone to agree with me, just offering my 2 cents with the following.

1) I love forums and wished there were more (or at least some) that were still active. I say this because I'm pretty much computer illiterate (and yes, that's kind of by choice), so I don't do the facebutt, discord, or other things that I would place in the category of social media. 

2) The other thought I'll offer up, is I find all the interesting and thought prompting discussion I need on a wide variety of Spiritual topics from my own Ward members, full-time missionaries and long time LDS friends. As was also pointed out, there's not really much new under the Sun, in regards to even the most "in depth" Spiritual topics. So really... in a forum, I tend to be looking for the latest and greatest in the realm of temporal items and topics... meaning preparedness stuff. Maybe it's just me, but with the state of affairs in the world today, I find it interesting that there isn't much being brought up or discussed about that. Instead I'm seeing (and although it's heartfelt and sincere), discussions about whether treats at a church activity should be gluten free or not. Not to sound uncaring, but in the calamitous times in which we live, that's pretty low on my list of concerns. And as a side note... I'm completely allergic to dairy, so I simply bring my own treat, or skip the treats. I'm seriously not seeing the big deal about this.

Seriously hope no one is offended or takes this the wrong way, as that's not my intent... it just seems that the few topics here that get traction, are almost pointless. Sorry if I've rained on anyone's parade.