Story Time

Fether

STORY TIME!

A couple months ago, my wife signed my 4 year old so. Up for soccer. While at the signup place, she saw that there was a signup for parents to be coaches. When she got home, she said “Fether! We should coach our child’s soccer team!” I explained to her that we have too much going on and adding another thing to our plate would not Be good. We debated this over the next week or so, sometimes turning into an argument. One day, she got a little frustrated and said something to the affect of “Our child needs to see us doing things like, and you spend so much time at work, you need to spend more time with our son!”

(Side note, I have complete control over my schedule and choose to work 40 hours a week. I’ve calculated it many times. The fact that I have the ability to take time off whenever I want and still choose to work 40 hours a week gives the illusion I spend too much time at work. A conversation we have had multiple times).

Anyway… I gave in and agreed to do it with her. Fast forward to last week when we had our first practice. I decided to give it my all and choose to have a good time with the kids. On our way there, my wife told me that she was feeling really really nervous and wanted me to head everything off. Fair enough, I could do that. The practice went great.

The next day, my wife was feeling overwhelmed with being a mom, homeschooling, ministering, and other stuff. She said to me in a very emotional tone “I can’t help you with soccer, I just have too much going on and it stresses me out”. So the very reason I told her I didn’t want to do it is the reason she is now wanting to pass it all off on me.

Wives… can’t live with them… also can’t live with them.

Edited by Fether

6 hours ago, Fether said:

Wives… can’t live with them… also can’t live with them.

Well, to be fair, there may be some validity to her point that she is already spending a lot of time with the kids through home schooling, and that becaues of your work, you are spending less time with them than her, hence her idea that you, rather than her, needs to spend more time with the kids. 

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

You’re a better man than me.  I’d be livid.

Every time I think about it, I just start laughing. But then it turns into frustration as I think about how instead of going home after work, I have to go teach 4 and 5 year olds how to play soccer… a sport I never liked.

We had a good talk today and she is going to do it with me still

42 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Well, to be fair, there may be some validity to her point that she is already spending a lot of time with the kids through home schooling, and that becaues of your work, you are spending less time with them than her, hence her idea that you, rather than her, needs to spend more time with the kids. 

Which I already do. I love taking my kids on walks, hikes, and the like. The soccer schedule doesn’t take me from work at all, it just means I am with my son at soccer practice instead of with my son at home.