It appears Roe Vs. Wade is about to be overturned.

JohnsonJones

2 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Back to the abortion aspect.

Some of the priestesses were trying to get pregnant during these rites so that they could later sacrifice the baby during another ritual.  Truly evil people.

That's one of the most repulsive things I’ve ever heard. Yes, it’s 100% evil.  Horrific and…all I can say is may God forgive them. 

To be fair though, we can’t lump these psychopaths in with all pro choicers. That’s like saying all pro-lifers endorse shooting up abortion clinics. 

Edited by LDSGator

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

For example, one fairly recent one I've seen, but was never able to fact-check, claims that a woman publicly confessed to aborting her first child because the child was a boy and she *that* strongly objected to more male children being born, only for her husband to confront her with the fact that she told him it was a miscarriage. 

I've read two stories along that vein.

1) The story specifically said she was going to abort the baby because of an experience she had just had with a man who seemed to support women's rights.  But... so, she said she was going to abort her son once she found out it was a boy.  However, various news outlets were unable to verify it and found sufficient inconsistencies which led them to believe it was a hoax.

2) Another story where a lesbian couple wanted a girl.  Their fertility clinic said they could sexually screen out the embryos to guarantee a girl.  They sued the clinic.  The "mother" said that she never planned to abort.  But she touted how "violated" she felt with having a male inside her body.

That takes a special kind of warped to feel that way about a baby she agreed to have inside her.

2 hours ago, Ironhold said:

That Daily Wire bit, if true, is going to feed right into it.

I need to clarify something.

• The quote was Buttigieg saying out loud -- probably meant "right". 
  • The author of the article used the spelling "rite".

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone, but...  The supposed 10 yo girl in Ohio having to "flee" to Indiana for an abortion appears to be a hoax.

Ohio's Attorney General said his office would have some wind of such a case through requests for DNA kits, rape kits, investigations, search for suspects, etc.  But he has NONE of that.

Additionally, Ohio law allows for abortion in such cases.  So, there wouldn't have been a need to go to another state at all.

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It suddenly got really quiet in the room.  Did I say something amiss?

Hit birds flutter—except that sometimes they become very, very still.

21 hours ago, LDSGator said:

That’s like saying all pro-lifers endorse shooting up abortion clinics. 

Don’t we?

8 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Don’t we?

Lol. Even as someone who is in the middle on the issue it always bothered me when pro choicers paint all pro lifers as willing to shoot up clinics. And, if I was pro life, I’d hate those who shoot up clinics more than pro choicers simply because they paint all of us as looneys. 

We often see Baal and Asherah show up in the Old Testament.

What's the difference between the two as far as what they represent - and what ritual acts were involved? Was Baal the masculine idol, and Asherah the feminine idol? And were the groves just wooden idols? 

Also, I still don't understand how you could worship an inanimate object? Did the idols merely represent a god that resided elsewhere? 

Edited by ldsguy422

@ldsguy422

Baal is most commonly known as a Cannanite and Mesopotamian god.  He was worshipped as an agriculture god (fertility.)  Sometimes he is also referred to as Son of Dagon (grain god) and also Hadad (storm god.)  The Cannanites believed he had all power over people and and nature.  He was not the head god of their pantheon.  His father El is the head god.  

Asherah is the consort of El, though she is frequently paired with Baal.  She is a fertility godess (and sexuality.)  The worship of Asherah often included temple prostitutes.

The worship of both often involved human sacrifices.

The groves used in worship often included orgies and human sacrifice.  Asherah was often represented by a carved tree, which appeared in groves.  This is partly why the groves were burned by the Israelites (when they were on the right path.)

Also interesting about both these gods/godesses, as well as many others, you can find the same names, or similar names scattered across numerous ancient cultures, or their equivalents with different names.

OK,

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/13/columbus-man-charged-rape-10-year-old-led-abortion-in-indiana/10046625002/

So, what was national news, come hoax, has now been verified.

The question still remains why she had to go out of state when it was perfectly legal for her to get an abortion in her home state of Ohio, due to her circumstances.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The question still remains why she had to go out of state when it was perfectly legal for her to get an abortion in her home state of Ohio, due to her circumstances.

Legal doesn’t always mean the best resources are available in a particular area.

Also, the mental health of the girl matters. Sometimes hopping to another city out state for something like this has advantages.

Put yourself in her shoes. Do you really want to go down to your family hospital where you know people?

Stories like this have existed before Roe. Nobody talks about them because there’s no way to use the story as a club against your political rivals. (Although folks are always happy to try, and trust the emotional outrage is high and the fact checking is low.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Legal doesn’t always mean the best resources are available in a particular area.

That's certainly a reasonable consideration.  And it if applicable, that would be a wise choice.

But the "story" that was told was that she HAD TO leave the state BECAUSE OF ABORTION RESTRICTIONS in Ohio.

As far as anyone can tell, that simply wasn't true.

Edited by Carborendum

• 3 weeks later...

So, now a new twist in the saga of Indiana's supposedly pro-abortion leanings.  They are now the first state to have passed a ban on abortion since the Overturn/Repeal became official.

And the exceptions are pretty tight.  Kinda turns the story of the little girl on its head.

But at least, in this case we know the perpetrator will get his just deserts.

Edited by Carborendum

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

But at least, in this case we know the perpetrator will get his just deserts.

The illegal immigrant Gerson Fuentes might get life without possibility of parole, but I doubt it.  He might get 5 years, released in 4 with a few years' probation with good behavior.  If a year has gone by and the media isn't covering it any more, he might just get deported back to Guatemala. 

Which do you think is most likely, and which do you think is his "just deserts"?

• 5 weeks later...

Nancy Pelosi has finally said it out-loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfvRaMV377I

Nancy Pelosi said, during a regular forum condemning the overturn of Roe v. Wade,

The fact that this is such an assault on women of color and ... lower income families is just sinful.  It's sinful.

-- @51:50 mark (her emphasis)

Disagree with her political position and you're sinning.  Tell women that abortion is morally wrong is "sinful."

Only one person's words.  But did you see anyone in this entire forum surprised at her words?  No, they clearly all believed it. 

This is only the beginning.  But, no longer can someone take the balanced approach of saying "My religious convictions are mine.  And my political positions are based on separate criteria."  Nope.  Condemning religious views against abortion is the new religion of the left.  No longer behind closed doors or left to "fringe elements."  It is now mainstream Leftism.

They've drawn the line.  Many on the left are on this side of that line.  But now we'll see just how many will cross over that line further Left.

Polarization will set the stage.  Choose ye this day whom ye will serve.  Moloch?  Or Jehovah?