What exactly is a double standard?

Carborendum

In the following video, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYf--wwzOzA

Mehdi Hasan decides to showcase the "double standard" which conservative media are exhibiting.  While his characterization is highly questionable, the thing that bothers me most can certainly be considered reprehensible.  He completely ignores the fact that he is doing the exact same thing, just in reverse. 

So, while he's criticizing others for having a double standard, he's totally oblivious to the fact that he, himself, is guilty of a double standard.

These protests outside the private homes of individuals are certainly more likely a "personal attack", while going to the official halls of government is what is supposed to be done.  Yet, which one is he, himself, criticizing?

While we could argue ad nauseum about which protests are "largely peaceful" vs "a violent mob", I would hope we could draw a distinction between a person's private residence vs. an official place of business.

Edited by Carborendum

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

In the following video, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYf--wwzOzA

Mehdi Hasan decides to showcase the "double standard" which conservative media are exhibiting.  While his characterization is highly questionable, the thing that bothers me most can certainly be considered reprehensible.  He completely ignores the fact that he is doing the exact same thing, just in reverse. 

So, while he's criticizing others for having a double standard, he's totally oblivious to the fact that he, himself, is guilty of a double standard.

These protests outside the private homes of individuals are certainly more likely a "personal attack", while going to the official halls of government is what is supposed to be done.  Yet, which one is he, himself, criticizing?

While we could argue ad nauseum about which protests are "largely peaceful" vs "a violent mob", I would hope we could draw a distinction between a person's private residence vs. an official place of business.

I will watch the video later - I believe we have the right to disagree with anyone.  I believe the free speech allows us to address anyone we disagree with..   I believe we can petition our government for any grievance we may have.   But I also believe all individuals have a right to privacy and that no one has the right to petition anyone on private property or a place of residence.  Any petition of grievance must take place on public property.  There is one exception where a grievance on private property can take place and that is through a government official such as the police, federal marshal or other such authorized government authority. 

I also believe that protesters protesting in residential streets should be illegal.  That protests based in petitions of grievances should be restricted to places of government operations specific to the grievance.  In other words if one is protesting what is going on with congress - the protest should be confined to where official acts of congress are taking place (which would include congressional campaigns and campaign financing).   But I would add that one should only be able to petition their representatives.   If someone does not represent us - we should leave them alone and allow those that they represent to deal with them.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler