Hurricane Season is near

laronius

Since I've had a few people ask me about meals that can be made without electricity - 

Check the shelf-stable meats aisle of your local grocery store. 

There are a number of pouched meal options available nowadays, such as seasoned tuna and seasoned chicken. You can simply pop open the pouch, spread it on a sandwich, and you have protein on the go.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/starkist-chicken-creations-classic-bbq-pouch-2-6-oz/3531028

For example, you have this name-brand product, which is chicken in barbecue sauce. 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/starkist-tuna-creations-honey-bbq-tuna-pouch-2-6-oz/1964757

Or there's this name-brand tuna in barbecue sauce, which I actually had for lunch earlier in order to try it out. 

It's not the best thing around, but it's relatively inexpensive shelf-stable protein that actually tastes pretty decent. 

edit - 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/isadora-original-refried-beans-15-2-oz/1533976

Pouched refried beans are also a thing, so you have a vegetarian protein source as well. Again, just pop open the pouch (you're supposed to boil-in-pouch, but it's refried beans...) and spread it on bread. 

Edited by Ironhold

17 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Check the shelf-stable meats aisle of your local grocery store. 

I've had some bad experience with canned meats that weren't heated up.  It may just be me and my body.  But, if we don't have electricity, there should be a source of heat to get it warmed up.

There are a number of pouched meal options available nowadays, such as seasoned tuna and seasoned chicken. You can simply pop open the pouch, spread it on a sandwich, and you have protein on the go.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/starkist-chicken-creations-classic-bbq-pouch-2-6-oz/3531028

That's a good idea.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/isadora-original-refried-beans-15-2-oz/1533976

Pouched refried beans are also a thing, so you have a vegetarian protein source as well. Again, just pop open the pouch (you're supposed to boil-in-pouch, but it's refried beans...) and spread it on bread. 

I like that too.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

That's a good idea.

I like that too.

Far too many people are unaware of what's out there already, and so they either don't prepare for what's coming or go for a few generic items that people commonly envision. 

For example, Gossner Farms (which is headquartered in Utah) has been making shelf-stable milk products since the 1980s, but people *still* react in shock when I tell them about it - 

https://www.dollartree.com/drinks/milk

Yes, Dollar Tree sells Gossner Farms milk products *by the quart* as well as a number of nut-based milk alternatives. 

What else does Dollar Tree have? 

https://www.dollartree.com/post-cocoa-pebbles-cereal-3oz-packs/335912

3 - ounce bags of cereal that you can re-seal. I've actually had to take the Gossner Farms milk, pour it in one of these pouches, and eat it that way.

So we've got breakfast (cereal + milk), lunch (barbecue chicken sandwich), dinner (barbecue tuna sandwich), and a vegetable blitz (the refried beans) as a possible fourth meal to keep calories going. That's on top of whatever vitamins and supplements a person could have.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I think you might be over-estimating God's interest in you ;)

Lol. Maybe. 

It does fascinate me how life works. I have many friends talking about God kept them safe, and maybe He did. Seems pretty nasty to say to those that lost everything that God just wasn’t paying attention to them though.  It just comes down to luck I guess. 

Edited by LDSGator

3 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Lol. Maybe. 

It does fascinate me how life works. I have many friends talking about God kept them safe, and maybe He did. Seems pretty nasty to say to those that lost everything that God just wasn’t paying attention to them though.  It just comes down to luck I guess. 

I have no doubt that God intervenes in some lives on some occasions. I have often wondered, and still have no idea, how it is decided in what manner, and when, and to what extent, He will intervene in some lives and not in others. I'm confident that these divine interventions are not random and that they are done on the basis of some sort of rules or principles. I think it would be a very interesting exercise to try and work out a rough set of guiding principles that could help to predict and explain how and when God will, and won't, intervene in someone's life in a particular way. I guess a starting point in building such a set of principles would be the fact that whatever God does, it is for our good and is done on the basis of love.

7 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I have many friends talking about God kept them safe, and maybe He did. Seems pretty nasty to say to those that lost everything that God just wasn’t paying attention to them though.  It just comes down to luck I guess. 

Life got easier for me to understand, once I started thinking about a notion: What is it about ease and safety, that makes us assume it's what is best for us?  What is it about danger/troubles/hardships that makes us assume they are not what's best for us?

10 hours ago, Vort said:

At the risk of taking a lighthearted, offhand funny comment too seriously, I suspect that we cannot overestimate God's interest in each of us.

I would generally agree wholeheartedly with this idea, but in this case we are talking about @LDSGator so some exceptions might apply. 

14 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Life got easier for me to understand, once I started thinking about a notion: What is it about ease and safety, that makes us assume it's what is best for us?  What is it about danger/troubles/hardships that makes us assume they are not what's best for us?

I know with certainty that He has protected me on a few occasions because the methods in each case were clearly miraculous.  But I've wondered for years: Why?

Why protect me and not others?  One occasion was because of my size, I was in danger when others were not.  Another occasion was when I was the only one exposed to the danger.  But a third occasion was where many were injured, at least one person that I know of died.

Why was I protected when others weren't?  I've wondered why the people of Ammonihah were not spared, while Elisha showed his assistant an entire host of heavenly legions that were protecting them.

The answer only came after many years.  God really does have a plan for each of us.  And with all the lines of cause-and-effect interweaving into an infinite web of interaction, only He can truly comprehend the overall "why" of it.  That is why we tend to think of it as random.

For me, I learned that I have been preserved for a specific mission.  But just like His admonition to Joseph Smith, if I failed to perform that mission I would be cut off and He'd find someone else.  It seems that He felt I was up to the task.  No matter how ineptly I fulfilled my missions, I still fulfilled them.  That was good enough.

There were certain things I had to do in order to prepare me for later missions.  And some of them included danger.  I was place in danger to learn certain things.  But I was protected so I could use that "training" in my later missions.

The Lord had a different plan for others.  And only He knows what they were.

Now, as I'm getting older, children are leaving the nest; I'm not able to work the long hours that I have in the past; my bones & joints are beginning to show their age.  I'm beginning to feel like I've done all that I'm supposed to do.  I am ready to be done.  But I'm not all that old.  And I am still able to do "some" things.  I can still provide a living for my family.  A few of them are still minors.  My wife is now working outside the home for the first time since we started having children.

So, I'm just cruising along waiting for grandchildren in the next few years.  And I hope to do some more repenting before I go.

If the Lord still has more in mind for me as he did my wife's great-grandmother, I will try to fulfill that.  But if He's done with me, I'm fine being one of the victims of Ammonihah. 

My missions complete, my family raised in the right way of the Lord.  I've done my best to live up to my covenants.  And as poorly as I've done so, I've continued to repent.

I really do look forward to grandkids.

50 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Now, as I'm getting older, children are leaving the nest; I'm not able to work the long hours that I have in the past; my bones & joints are beginning to show their age.  I'm beginning to feel like I've done all that I'm supposed to do.  I am ready to be done.

Heh - I'm in a similar situation.  Do you hear that creaky groaning noise on the wind?  Those are the endless hoards of older folk, in their second, or third, (or fourth) decade of thinking the exact same thing.   They tell me that meditating on the notion "endure to the end" is necessary, but not sufficient to deal with this stuff.

A well-placed grandpa can bless 3-5 generations that he'll never meet.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

A well-placed grandpa can bless 3-5 generations that he'll never meet.

Well placed "anyone" that is active can do that.

My grandparents on my mom's side went inactive in their 20's.  My dad's side are not members.  My mom decided at some point after I was born that she needed to be active if she wanted me to be active.  40+ years later my grandmother returned to activity and she told my mom I was a huge factor.  I didn't really do anything that I know of except to be active.