Texas: 18 children & one teacher killed in elementary school shooting

Suzie

14 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

tend to think movies and TV today are far too excessive in violence, language, and sexuality.  Most movies are unenjoyable with how much they promote one, two, or all of those items.

I served a mission to Italy, where I was exposed to nudity or near-nudity on a more or less daily basis. Right up until I went home, this bothered me. What a surprise to discover upon returning home that it was portrayals of violence, not sex or nudity, that seemed to me most offensive to the Spirit.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, Vort said:

I served a mission to Italy, where I was exposed to nudity or near-nudity on a more or less daily basis. Right up until I went home, this bothered me. What a surprise to discover upon returning home that it was portrayals of violence, not sex or nudity, that seemed to me most offensive to the Spirit.

Your insights always cause me to pause and think a little deeper about thins.  I would like deeper insights into your analytics.  As I pondered this post against my own personal experiences I am reminded of something that President McKay said: "We cannot prevents the birds that fly over our heads but we can prevent them from nesting in our head".  Anyway, something like that.

Two things that I have discovered that if the thoughts nest in my head that the spirit will quickly leave me are: 1. Thoughts and impressions of anger and revenge (usually initiated with elements of revenge or putting someone "in their place").  2. Thoughts and impressions that personalize sexual fantasies contrary to the "Law of Chasity".  

The most effective method I have found to deal with such thoughts and impressions is to turn my thoughts with a hymn.  My hymn of choice that I have most often used to turned to since my teenage years has been the hymn "Oh My Father".  Because of my long experience with that hymn getting me through so much for so long that I cannot sing that hymn, even just in my mind, without becoming overcome with the spirit.

Trying to just avoid temptations has always had limited benefit for me.  I would be most interested in what others find to be effective in dealing with temptations that are the most difficult for themselves.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Trying to just avoid temptations has always had limited benefit for me.  I would be most interested in what others find to be effective in dealing with temptations that are the most difficult for themselves.

Many recovering addicts avoid situations where they know they’ll be tempted. In fact, some rehab places forbid television and music because they glorify drinking and drug use. If it works for them-complete avoidance-then I’m happy for them. 

Edited by LDSGator

19 hours ago, Traveler said:

Your insights always cause me to pause and think a little deeper about thins.  I would like deeper insights into your analytics.  As I pondered this post against my own personal experiences I am reminded of something that President McKay said: "We cannot prevents the birds that fly over our heads but we can prevent them from nesting in our head".  Anyway, something like that.

Two things that I have discovered that if the thoughts nest in my head that the spirit will quickly leave me are: 1. Thoughts and impressions of anger and revenge (usually initiated with elements of revenge or putting someone "in their place").  2. Thoughts and impressions that personalize sexual fantasies contrary to the "Law of Chasity".  

The most effective method I have found to deal with such thoughts and impressions is to turn my thoughts with a hymn.  My hymn of choice that I have most often used to turned to since my teenage years has been the hymn "Oh My Father".  Because of my long experience with that hymn getting me through so much for so long that I cannot sing that hymn, even just in my mind, without becoming overcome with the spirit.

The Traveler

I try to avoid situations that would lead to temptation to begin with.  If I never am in a situation to be tempted, it never gets a chance to arrive.

Of course, that doesn't always work.  I also love to sing hymns, though mine tend to be more towards primary songs that I sang to my children as lullabies when they were young. 

Beyond those, I have several hymns I tend to turn to.  Singing hymns either silently or vocally helps me to focus on things other than what the temptation is and focus more on the things of the Lord.

21 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Many recovering addicts avoid situations where they know they’ll be tempted. In fact, some rehab places forbid television and music because they glorify drinking and drug use. If it works for them-complete avoidance-then I’m happy for them. 

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I try to avoid situations that would lead to temptation to begin with.  If I never am in a situation to be tempted, it never gets a chance to arrive.

Of course, that doesn't always work.  I also love to sing hymns, though mine tend to be more towards primary songs that I sang to my children as lullabies when they were young. 

Beyond those, I have several hymns I tend to turn to.  Singing hymns either silently or vocally helps me to focus on things other than what the temptation is and focus more on the things of the Lord.

Perhaps I should clarify.  It is never wise to seek out temptation.  What I attempted to illustrate is that, at least for me, having a strategy of avoiding temptation is of itself insufficient.  It is necessary for me to have a predetermined strategy for whatever circumstances I find myself being tempted.  In short I find there to be a great difference between avoiding temptation and resisting temptation.

For example, if someone is tempted to anger; as much as someone avoids situations that cause them to become angry there is always the possibility that they are "blind sided" by a temptation to be angry.  Often such a blind side come directly from someone that I dearly love.  Perhaps it is only me that has such problems with temptations.  But if there is anyone else that finds themselves being tempted despite all their efforts to avoid such - what strategies do you employ that you find effective?

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

For example, if someone is tempted to anger; as much as someone avoids situations that cause them to become angry there is always the possibility that they are "blind sided" by a temptation to be angry.

The bottom line? You have to just control your emotions. If you are blind sided, well, then you still just have to control yourself. Walking around like an abrasive jerk all the time looking for a fight and you’ll be made a fool of soon enough.

No one is perfect. We all have moments of anger*. I know I do. So I am NOT saying I’m immune. But just because I get angry sometimes doesn’t make it right of course. 

*my vices tend to be more about my massive ego. It’s more arrogance than anger for me. 

Edited by LDSGator