Am I the [jerk]?

Vort

I didn't laugh and didn't find it funny.

The protestors do not seem to be attacking anyone, but they are trespassing on property that is not theirs, and from the sounds of the article, by standing and jumping onto the roof, are also doing property damage.

On the other end of the spectrum, spraying them with manure isn't so funny either, and could be seen as battery, depending on how it is interpreted under U.K. Law.

From the sounds of it the Police are just trying to get it to end peacefully.  I'd say it lies more on the fault of the protestors being a little to aggressive in their tactics.  It does not sound like they've actually attacked anyone (from the way the article is written), but it sounds like they are causing trouble in a way that is not exactly legal.

Trying to get the protest to end peacefully and the conflict to end seems to be the best option.  It seems that is what the police are trying to achieve and are wanting to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda agree with JohnsonJones. I know I found the statue-toppling funny (back in the fun days of Covid/BLM), but that was more because of the slapstick element than anything moral or immoral. (Vort had a lot to say to me on that occasion - and quite rightly!)

Isn't there a legal formula that says that if you expect to be treated justly you must act justly yourself? I'm trying to Google it but I forget the wording.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 3:51 AM, Jamie123 said:

I kinda agree with JohnsonJones. I know I found the statue-toppling funny (back in the fun days of Covid/BLM), but that was more because of the slapstick element than anything moral or immoral. (Vort had a lot to say to me on that occasion - and quite rightly!)

Isn't there a legal formula that says that if you expect to be treated justly you must act justly yourself? I'm trying to Google it but I forget the wording.

The closest thing I can think of offhand is “unclean hands”, though I think that term specifically applies to contract law . . .