Hypothetical - the "wedding"

Ironhold

Something *else* that occurred to me while sketching out a different story idea. 

You have a daughter. She's the light of your life. You and your spouse daydream about her wedding. It's hard for you when she first moves out.

It's even harder when she indicates that she's in a relationship with someone but is somewhat vague about who it is. 

It turns out that she somehow wound up in a relationship with a celebrity, superhero, covert operative, or someone else in that vein, someone who is constantly under either a spotlight or a microscope. 

For the sake of your own daughter's safety, she and her lover cannot even admit that they are in a relationship, at least not until after they are married.

...And speaking of marriage, forget whatever plans you had for a glorious ceremony. That same need for secrecy also means that it's going to have to be a tiny wedding in some place unexpected at an unorthodox time of day (for example, a temple two states over at 8 AM) so that they can be in and out in a way that minimizes chance encounters. 

Their wedding can't even be announced until well after the wedding. 

Once it's all out of the bag you can have whatever reception(s) you want. But they'll have to be well after the event. 

How would you feel? 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

For the sake of your own daughter's safety, she and her lover cannot even admit that they are in a relationship, at least not until after they are married.

Oooo - like the unnamed parents of the lady who married Hawkeye in the MCU?   That would be a fun story.  I can see a lot of different ways it would go, based on the parents' personalities.  Like an annoyingly-clueless-to-the-point-of-being-dangerous character like Lwaxana Troi.  Or a greying-former-military parent who gets it, and runs a safehouse for daughter and person.  

Or, the daughter makes up some cover story that buys silence, like "dude is a mob informant".

On 5/31/2022 at 3:40 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Oooo - like the unnamed parents of the lady who married Hawkeye in the MCU?   That would be a fun story.  I can see a lot of different ways it would go, based on the parents' personalities.  Like an annoyingly-clueless-to-the-point-of-being-dangerous character like Lwaxana Troi.  Or a greying-former-military parent who gets it, and runs a safehouse for daughter and person.  

Or, the daughter makes up some cover story that buys silence, like "dude is a mob informant".

She better not marry Hawkeye, he is already married and has several kids. He is also my age, same year of birth. ;) 

The older I get, the more our social rituals and drama surrounding weddings just seem ridiculous.

In the hypothetical described in the OP, I’d say:  As long as the (temple) wedding actually happens, the time/place/manner is of minimal importance to me.  I’d be more worried about how the pressures described would affect the marriage itself.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:06 PM, Ironhold said:

Something *else* that occurred to me while sketching out a different story idea. 

You have a daughter. She's the light of your life. You and your spouse daydream about her wedding. It's hard for you when she first moves out.

It's even harder when she indicates that she's in a relationship with someone but is somewhat vague about who it is. 

It turns out that she somehow wound up in a relationship with a celebrity, superhero, covert operative, or someone else in that vein, someone who is constantly under either a spotlight or a microscope. 

...And speaking of marriage, forget whatever plans you had for a glorious ceremony. That same need for secrecy also means that it's going to have to be a tiny wedding in some place unexpected at an unorthodox time of day (for example, a temple two states over at 8 AM) so that they can be in and out in a way that minimizes chance encounters. 

Once it's all out of the bag you can have whatever reception(s) you want. But they'll have to be well after the event. 

How would you feel? 

I'm thinking of the rats in Chicken Run
"Yeah, aw'right."

As long as he honors his priesthood and they are sealed in the temple, fine by me.

Edited by Carborendum

On 5/31/2022 at 2:06 PM, Ironhold said:

How would you feel? 

I do not see much to be concerned about concerning this question.

The Traveler

On 5/31/2022 at 9:06 PM, Ironhold said:

How would you feel? 

Hmmm....compared to what's going on with my family, this all sounds deliciously normal.