Other non-member people quoting the gospel

Backroads

I adore my assistant principle. She's a lovely woman and a good leader. She's also a transplant from out of the Mormon Corridor, very progressive-liberal and "woke", and as far as I'm aware has never been a member of the church (as in she now and then asks "dumb questions" about our students' beliefs).

Anyway, today in the group chat to inspire us through the last day of school she shared a Jeffery R. Holland quote. It's fun to see good stuff being recognized all over.

21 hours ago, mordorbund said:

This feels like the mirror universe of that time I gizoogled the Church’s website.

Back before I knew to do ad-blockers online, I pulled up Lords of the New Church's cover of "Live For Today" on YouTube and got an ad for the church on the side of the screen. 

On 6/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, Backroads said:

I adore my assistant principle. She's a lovely woman and a good leader. She's also a transplant from out of the Mormon Corridor, very progressive-liberal and "woke", and as far as I'm aware has never been a member of the church (as in she now and then asks "dumb questions" about our students' beliefs).

Anyway, today in the group chat to inspire us through the last day of school she shared a Jeffery R. Holland quote. It's fun to see good stuff being recognized all over.

Speaking of Holland, his talk on depression a few years ago was brilliant. I have given that speech to many non members. 

Here's an oldie but a goodie: https://www.ldsliving.com/anime-series-depicts-salt-lake-temple-as-home-of-the-gods/s/86060

In Japan, there's a popular fantasy franchise called "Restaurant To Another World". The premise of the franchise is that a random family bistro in Japan is somehow magically connected to various alternate realms through a series of magic portals that spring up on a regular basis. People from these other realms come in, enjoy a taste of local cuisine, wander around outside for a while, and then head home. 

The series was popular enough to get a single-season adaptation, with several individual stories from the source material being adapted. In one episode, the realm in question is the "Home of the Gods". 

Someone at the animation studio used the Salt Lake Temple as the image for the actual physical castle the various deities resided in. 

Not sure if this one counts, but - 

All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite, 15 June 2022 (that is, last night)

The main event of the evening was a tag-team ladder match between Jurassic Express (Luchasaurus and Jack Perry) and The Young Bucks (brothers Nick and Matt Jackson). For those who don't know, a ladder match is a type of wrestling match wherein a physical object is suspended over the ring, with a variety of ladders provided so that the wrestlers can climb up to reach it. Whoever gets it first wins. 

Through parts of the match you could see someone in the audience waving around a sign that had The Young Bucks flanking a ladder and the caption "Ladder Day Saints". At one point, the camera actually cut over to a brief shot of the sign before going back to the match itself. 

Note that the episode was being filmed in an arena in California.

(To my knowledge, the one and only time AEW has performed in Utah was a show in Salt Lake City in March of 2020. Then much of the nation initiated Covid lockdown protocols that very weekend, forcing AEW to retreat to its headquarters in Florida for well over a year; they haven't been back to Utah since.)

Edited by Ironhold
fixing a typo

• 3 weeks later...