Peaceful Habits

Jamie123

I've started two new habits. The first is to spend an hour or so every evening in the churchyard amongst the graves, reading the Bible on my smartphone. My wife asked me the last two nights if anyone (meaning dead people) came and talked to me. I told her no, but one thing that did come to me how poor my prayer life is. People say praying should be just like talking to anyone else, but do you sometimes feel like your words are just going out into the air unheard? The thought makes me weary and (strangely) a bit tongue- tied and my prayers often peter out rather pathetically.

But there is another thing I have seen at my wife's "Julian" group (Lady Julian of Norwich, in case you didn't know, was a medieval mystic. "And all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well". [Yes I know T.S. Eliot wrote that, but Julian wrote it first].) They sit for half an hour or so in silence trying to empty their minds and wait for God to speak to them.  So I tried it this evening for just 15 minutes. God didn't speak to me in words exactly, but I did get a kind of peace from it that I've missed for a long time.

By the way, my wife is in hospital now having her surgery. I have tried contacting the hospital for news but the phone just rings and rings. I'm sure they would have contacted me a next of kin if anything had gone wrong but still... I hope I can get through tomorrow. All prayers welcome and much appreciated.

Jamie

1 hour ago, Jamie123 said:

By the way, my wife is in hospital now having her surgery. I have tried contacting the hospital for news but the phone just rings and rings. I'm sure they would have contacted me a next of kin if anything had gone wrong but still... I hope I can get through tomorrow. All prayers welcome and much appreciated.

Stay strong my friend. We’re all praying for you.