The Reality of State Secession

Carborendum

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Speek four you'reself.

LOL!! 

My BA is in English and I make grammar mistakes all the time. No apologies. People usually seem shocked and dismiss my BA because, you know, mistakes. 

When math majors make mistakes do people say “Ha! You majored in math but can’t solve this complex equation in your head in five seconds? Loser.” 

12 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

When math majors make mistakes do people say “Ha! You majored in math but can’t solve this complex equation in your head in five seconds? Loser.” 

I didn't major in math, but I did major in physics, which uses a lot of math. During my last year at BYU, I took an upper-level course in electromagnetism. We had several problems assigned each day of class, which took an average of probably 45 minutes to an hour each to solve. It typically took me longer.

I had been working on one particular problem for which the correct answer had been given, and we were supposed to show how to arrive at that answer. Try as I might, I could not get the right answer. I checked and rechecked and re-rechecked my math. I had set the problem up right, I was sure. I could find no error in my calculus; it was straightforward integration and not terribly hard, though perhaps a bit tricky. My boundary conditions looked right. I literally could not find any mistake, yet I got the wrong answer.

My lovely newlywed bride, a French and teaching major with no experience in math beyond high school trig, looked over what I had done. She pointed to one particular part and said, "Eight times seven is fifty-six."

With that helpful hint, I got the right answer.

Edited by Vort

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

My lovely newlywed bride, a French and teaching major with no experience in math beyond high school trig, looked over what I had done. She pointed to one particular part and said, "Eight times seven is fifty-six."

That’s just what my beloved LadyGator would do. We are very lucky bro. 

and btw, I could never do what you did. I freely admit science is my kryptonite. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2022 at 8:25 PM, askandanswer said:

No, I'm talking about the insecurity that I believe many people experience as a result of too many guns being used in inappropriate ways and for inappropriate purposes. Without having done any study on the matter, I believe that such insecurity would be widespread. I also suspect that any sense of security that might result from a more widespread use and distribution of guns may in some respects be a false sense of security because there's always going to be a better, more accurate, more determined  gun-user on the other side of the fence more ready and capable to shoot you than you are him.

When its widely known or believed that many people do or might carry guns, then a logical response of those who would do harm with guns is not to go looking for those without guns, but to simply use more and better guns, more skillfully. And so the situation escalates, with a corresponding increase in insecurity.

These are funny.  There are four episodes.  But E1 & E4 talk about guns.

Guest Godless
On 6/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, Carborendum said:

• What about the military?
    • The military personnel by state of enlistment is about even.  A slight slant towards the red states.  But overall, about even.
    • Equipment?  Whoever maintains control of the actual equipment (including launch codes) will have the upper hand.
    • But forgetting about the actual war for power, what would happen afterwards?  Red states would be able to defend themselves.  More guns.  Blue States?  Yeah, still a lot of people, but would they move out?

What makes you think that the US government wouldn't relocate their forces in Texas in the event of a successful secession? Ft Hood (home of the famous 1st Cav), Ft Sam Houston (a major medical location), Ft Bliss, and Lackland AFB (Air Force basic training site), all gone, or at the very least drastically downsized. It's obviously not unheard of for the US to station troops on foreign soil, but I see no reason not to significantly scale back US military presence. Texas would probably get to keep its National Guard. Not sure what would happen to Reserve soldiers. They might be forced to either relocate or switch to Guard.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, Carborendum said:
  • Economy?
    • Right now all the blue states are dying and sucking the federal government dry.  The Red states are mostly faring well.

Texas takes nearly a quarter billion in federal money every year. Only New York and California are more heavily subsidized, and not by much in the case of NY.

Source