Finally, some good news (Warning: F-bombs in link)

Vort

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Who?

Front man for pseudo-punk group Green Day.

Green Day was popular in the late 1990s, and their song "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" was an anthem at high school graduations in the early 2000s despite it being a break-up song. 

However, the band belly-flopped into politics in the mid-2000s with their "American Idiot" album, which included the vomitous "Wake Me Up When September Ends", a song so bad that most old-school punk rock fans officially excommunicated them from the punk scene. Despite this, Green Day was voted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on their very first year of eligibility to a great many protests. 

The band hasn't been relevant to the scene in almost a decade, there are maybe five songs from their entire catalog that classic and active rock stations will still bother to play, and few fans of actual punk will admit to owning anything newer than their early 2000s releases. 

35 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Green Day was popular in the late 1990s, and their song "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" was an anthem at high school graduations in the early 2000s despite it being a break-up song. 

That song is so awful it makes me want to throw up. Yes, it was my graduation song as well. 

36 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

Despite this, Green Day was voted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on their very first year of eligibility to a great many protests. 

The Rock and Roll HOF is hated by cool, ironic hipsters because it’s too mainstream, and it’s hated by everyone else because of who they let in.

To be fair, Green Day has some legendary albums, including most of American Idiot. (Yes, September Ends is bad). So we can’t just dismiss them. 

9 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

That song is so awful it makes me want to throw up. Yes, it was my graduation song as well. 

The Rock and Roll HOF is hated by cool, ironic hipsters because it’s too mainstream, and it’s hated by everyone else because of who they let in.

To be fair, Green Day has some legendary albums, including most of American Idiot. (Yes, September Ends is bad). So we can’t just dismiss them. 

*Chubby Checker* is still waiting to get in, yet acts like Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Tupac, and Biggie got in on their first years of eligibility. 

Meanwhile, many acts who do get in find out that only select members are being inducted, regardless of overall contribution. For example, KISS refused to attend the ceremony because only the founding four members were inducted, as they felt that every member of the group should be in the Hall; this is a pretty big deal, as Gene Simmons & Vinnie Vincent hate each other yet Gene essentially stood up for Vinnie in this regards. 

It'd probably take several years at this point for the Hall to get back on track regarding bands and non-performers who have long since earned their spot yet have been forced to wait.

8 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

For example, KISS refused to attend the ceremony because only the founding four members were inducted, as they felt that every member of the group should be in the Hall; this is a pretty big deal, as Gene Simmons & Vinnie Vincent hate each other yet Gene essentially stood up for Vinnie in this regards. 

Oh! I never knew that. I’m not much of a Kiss fan. 

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Oh! I never knew that. I’m not much of a Kiss fan. 

Founding line-up: Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Peter Criss.

Ace and Peter both fell pretty hard into substance abuse. Musician Anton Fig, who you might recall as being part of David Letterman's house band, actually ghosted for him on much of the "Dynasty" album because Peter's ability to perform had deteriorated that badly. Peter eventually quit after Gene and Paul made him re-audition, and he was replaced by Eric Carr. Carr adopted the "Fox" gimmick and costume.

Ace eventually quit the group in frustration a few years later, a consequence of his substance abuse issues and the resulting clash of egos. Vinnie Vincent had been working with the band as a studio musician, so he was chosen to be Ace's replacement. He adopted the "Warlock" gimmick and costume. However, Vinnie's character didn't get over with fans, and with MTV already making their brand of stage theatrics redundant the decision was made to drop the make-up.

Vinnie was fired after a single album due to murky behind-the-scenes matters that nobody is really all that keen on talking about but likely involved some sort of royalty disputes. He was replaced by Mark St. John, who only performed with the group for a single album before he had to seek treatment for a rare form of arthritis. Bruce Kulick came in to replace St. John. 

Eric Carr developed stomach cancer, and the band members ordered him to bed rest, not realizing that the cancer was already at such a state that Eric was *literally* living for the band; he wasn't long for the world after that, something Paul has expressed deep regrets about. Eric Singer, who had worked with some of the band members before on side projects, was called in.

Vinnie came back for one album pleading severe financial distress, only to be fired a second time over the same murky issues. It would later be discovered that Vinnie owed another record label a large sum of money after he'd abused his corporate line of credit. 

Ace and Peter worked their way back into the group for a few years, only to be shown the door again due to a series of personal disputes and arguments over compensation. Eric Singer would come back as drummer, but both St. John and Kulick were busy with side projects. Thus, former Black & Blue guitarist Tommy Thayer, who had been working as Gene's assistant and who had been involved with famous KISS cover group Cold Gin was tapped to round out the roster.

Eric Singer has actually been behind the drums longer than Peter Criss ever was, while Thayer is coming up on outlasting Ace Frehley. 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

Founding line-up: Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Peter Criss.

Ace and Peter both fell pretty hard into substance abuse. Musician Anton Fig, who you might recall as being part of David Letterman's house band, actually ghosted for him on much of the "Dynasty" album because Peter's ability to perform had deteriorated that badly. Peter eventually quit after Gene and Paul made him re-audition, and he was replaced by Eric Carr. Carr adopted the "Fox" gimmick and costume.

Ace eventually quit the group in frustration a few years later, a consequence of his substance abuse issues and the resulting clash of egos. Vinnie Vincent had been working with the band as a studio musician, so he was chosen to be Ace's replacement. He adopted the "Warlock" gimmick and costume. However, Vinnie's character didn't get over with fans, and with MTV already making their brand of stage theatrics redundant the decision was made to drop the make-up.

Vinnie was fired after a single album due to murky behind-the-scenes matters that nobody is really all that keen on talking about but likely involved some sort of royalty disputes. He was replaced by Mark St. John, who only performed with the group for a single album before he had to seek treatment for a rare form of arthritis. Bruce Kulick came in to replace St. John. 

Eric Carr developed stomach cancer, and the band members ordered him to bed rest, not realizing that the cancer was already at such a state that Eric was *literally* living for the band; he wasn't long for the world after that, something Paul has expressed deep regrets about. Eric Singer, who had worked with some of the band members before on side projects, was called in.

Vinnie came back for one album pleading severe financial distress, only to be fired a second time over the same murky issues. It would later be discovered that Vinnie owed another record label a large sum of money after he'd abused his corporate line of credit. 

Ace and Peter worked their way back into the group for a few years, only to be shown the door again due to a series of personal disputes and arguments over compensation. Eric Singer would come back as drummer, but both St. John and Kulick were busy with side projects. Thus, former Black & Blue guitarist Tommy Thayer, who had been working as Gene's assistant and who had been involved with famous KISS cover group Cold Gin was tapped to round out the roster.

Eric Singer has actually been behind the drums longer than Peter Criss ever was, while Thayer is coming up on outlasting Ace Frehley. 

Very cool. Always nice to see someone that devoted to their favorite bands. 

8 hours ago, Ironhold said:

Chubby Checker* is still waiting to get in, yet acts like Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Tupac, and Biggie got in on their first years of eligibility.

Wow. I didn't know that. I've never been particularly attracted to the R&R HOF, and now it appears my lack of interest has been vindicated.

Look, there is a certain class of man that is absolutely terrified of the possibility that every sexual encounter may result in a years-long child support obligation.  And the entertainment industry is full of such men.

For the most part, they’re terrible people—dysfunctional and often overtly predatory.  Always have been, and likely always will be.  Frankly, their patriotism (or lack thereof) is the least of our problems:  their products—music, film, television, and now internet-based—are shaping the way our kids think about relationships and their own futures.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

4 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Look, there is a certain class of man that is absolutely terrified of the possibility that every sexual encounter may result in a years-long child support obligation.  And the entertainment industry is full of such men.

For the most part, they’re terrible people—dysfunctional and often overtly predatory.  Always have been, and likely always will be.  Frankly, their patriotism (or lack thereof) is the least of our problems:  their products—music, film, television, and now internet-based—are shaping the way our kids think about relationships and their own futures.

True 

I'm a huge fan of Billy Joel's work.  But I've become disappointed in him personally.  He flat out admitted that he really doesn't have a love for music.  He's only in the business to bed women.

He achieved every teen boy's dream when he married Christie Brinkley, then disappointed everyone when they he divorced because the most beautiful woman in the world just wasn't enough for him.

Later in fife he got heavy into drugs and he's now looking at a lonely retirement where he doesn't even have much of a relationship with his daughter (although things are still positive, the relationship isn't really there).  And who knows how many others he has fathered?  But he gets to pal around with Elton John (who helped him through the drug phase).

Meanwhile Christie carries on a close relationship with her two daughters.  She's become the "model" of how to age gracefully.  At 65 she did a runway show and also graced the cover of Sports Illustrated with both daughters.

18 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Very cool. Always nice to see someone that devoted to their favorite bands. 

I'm an entertainment writer IRL.

It's *literally* my job to know these things. 

14 hours ago, Vort said:

Wow. I didn't know that. I've never been particularly attracted to the R&R HOF, and now it appears my lack of interest has been vindicated.

Generally speaking, every year there's at least one inductee who is seemingly selected because of their name and its potential ability to get people watching the actual induction ceremony. This year it's Dolly Parton, who actually *refused* to accept the nomination but was inducted anyway as she'd legitimately gotten enough votes. 

Actual figures in the world of rock and roll have been quite critical of this, ranging from classic acts like Chubby Checker whose admission is long overdue to modern figures like radio host Lou Brutus ("Hard Drive with Lou Brutus" and "Hard Drive XL") who have been in the industry long enough to see it happen time and time again. 

If I could select a full year's inductees all on my own?

Non-Performer: Casey Kasem

Early Influencer: Chubby Checker

Sideman: Rudy Sarzo

Inductees: The Runaways (putting Joan Jett in the Hall twice), Montrose (putting Sammy Hagar in the Hall twice), The Scorpions, Chic, Rainbow (putting Richie Blackmore in the Hall twice), UFO, Judas Priest

I'd also introduce the "Significant Member" rule, where members who weren't in the "classic" or "famous" line-up but who made a significant contribution to the group and/or achieved fame in their own right would be inducted as well, especially retroactively. Under this rule, my above proposals would also mean that Ronnie James Dio (Black Sabbath, Rainbow) and Michael Schenker (Scorpions, UFO) would be in the Hall twice.  

8 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Very cool. 

Kiss fans have always been a pretty weird bunch. 

I've read Gene's 2001 autobiography "KISS and Make-Up".

I bought Paul's autobiography at one point, but when I went to go looking for it I couldn't find it; best guess is that it must be one of the books that went to storage to make room when some family decided to come up for the holidays one year. 

I have some medical bills I need to square (I'm finally getting some checkups done after years of drama with my insurance provider) and so I'm going to have to hold off on getting Ace's autobiography. 

I don't think Peter has written one yet, and I doubt Vinnie would have been able to convince anyone to publish his after his rather massive fall from grace. 

Other recent autobiographies I've read include one from Bruce Campbell and one from NBC CEO Grant Tinker. I've got Kari Byron's autobiography that I'm working through, and I have a book written by Lee Iacoca to get to as well.