Gospel Living

Grunt

Does anyone use this?  I have a list of issues I'm trying to resolve in communication, planning, etc.  It looks like the Circles tab would resolve much of this, but nobody uses it.  I suppose that might be because they have no reason to use it and this might provide one.

Additionally, many youth don't have phones or tablets to use it on and it isn't web based at this time.

8 hours ago, Grunt said:

Does anyone use this?  I have a list of issues I'm trying to resolve in communication, planning, etc.  It looks like the Circles tab would resolve much of this, but nobody uses it.  I suppose that might be because they have no reason to use it and this might provide one.

Additionally, many youth don't have phones or tablets to use it on and it isn't web based at this time.

My EQ president is trying to get us to use it as our primary method of communication.  But there is something wrong with mine.  Others don't seem to have a problem with it.  Yet, they keep sending emails and texts instead of using the Gospel Living App.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

My EQ president is trying to get us to use it as our primary method of communication.  But there is something wrong with mine.  Others don't seem to have a problem with it.  Yet, they keep sending emails and texts instead of using the Gospel Living App.

Yeah.  I'm trying to use it for youth.  There doesn't seem to be a consistent way to communicate and schedule events that includes the parents outside of this app.   Anything else we've tried to get people to use seems to be a hassle.  

I use it occasionally to correspond with my Sunday School presidency members.  I wish it had the capability to set up new circles—I could create one with all my SS teachers, for example, and it would make life a lot easier.

My two teenagers share a cell phone, so Circles doesn’t really work for them since only one of them could log in at a time anyways.  And frankly—there are some parents out there who (not without reason) are resistant to getting their kids phones at all (or at least before the ages of 15-16); so if I were a youth leader I think I might be leery about inadvertently creating pressure on parents to give a phone to kids who aren’t otherwise ready for it.  

On 7/4/2022 at 11:53 AM, Grunt said:

It’s an incredible tool, but it isn’t being picked up by the church. I think if it became more popular, we may be able to see functions like custom circles and a web browser version of it for the youth that don’t have phones.

it’s frustrating members don’t use it. It would solve so many problems

8 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I use it occasionally to correspond with my Sunday School presidency members.  I wish it had the capability to set up new circles—I could create one with all my SS teachers, for example, and it would make life a lot easier.

My two teenagers share a cell phone, so Circles doesn’t really work for them since only one of them could log in at a time anyways.  And frankly—there are some parents out there who (not without reason) are resistant to getting their kids phones at all (or at least before the ages of 15-16); so if I were a youth leader I think I might be leery about inadvertently creating pressure on parents to give a phone to kids who aren’t otherwise ready for it.  

I'm hoping that it gains traction as we use it so we can get more features.  Lots of our youth don't have phones, so a web version would be nice.  Oddly, we have youth with Fire tablets but the app isn't in the Amazon store.

You can add people to circles.   If you wanted, you could add all your SS teachers to the presidency circle, it would just no longer be the presidency circle. I also don't think they'll fall off when released like the other circles do, either.  Custom circles would be nice, though.

Just now, Fether said:

I almost want them to just fully commit to it and make a full on Latter-day Saint social media. Not sure if that would catch on though

That’s be nice.  I’m mildly surprised they even released the current iteration.  I imagine the potential liability issues cause the Church’s legal eagles many sleepless nights . . .

10 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

That’s be nice.  I’m mildly surprised they even released the current iteration.  I imagine the potential liability issues cause the Church’s legal eagles many sleepless nights . . .

Ya. One bad actor and we have ourselves another salt lake tribune article and a HULU docuseries about the horrors of gospel living titled “Gospel Grooming”

7 hours ago, Fether said:

Ya. One bad actor and we have ourselves another salt lake tribune article and a HULU docuseries about the horrors of gospel living titled “Gospel Grooming”

Doesn't matter. The SLTribulation and other anti-LDS sources will openly lie about things if they think they can deceive the uninformed and unwary. True, bad actors make things worse for us, but don't imagine that bad press for the Church is always or even normally due to bad actors.

18 hours ago, Fether said:

I almost want them to just fully commit to it and make a full on Latter-day Saint social media. Not sure if that would catch on though

Let's face it: whoever the church has doing IT can't update the main church website without breaking more than they fix. I've been online since 2000, and in that time whenever a major update's been rolled out to the official church website it's taken about six months for the bugs, errors, and glitches to be found and patched. 

Would having them run a message board really be that great an idea? 

There's also the "plausible deniability" angle that you and other posters have referenced, with any negative consequences of a given platform being the responsibility of whoever is hosting it. 

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, WJL said:

Any hope for the ability to add circles? They forgot to add the Gospel Doctrine class to circles.

Welcome, @WJL!  Glad you've joined and hope to see you more.  I believe that people in certain callings can create circles - e.g. that your SS President could create circles for the classes.  The average member can't do that (and probably not the SS Teacher, unless someone in the ward can grant them that right).

FWIW, the Church has forums for all its apps - they aren't visited by the development teams, but there are tech users there who may be able to help more.  Here's the one for the "Living" app. You can use your Church (website and Library / Tools app) login there, if you want to post.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:57 AM, zil2 said:

Welcome, @WJL!  Glad you've joined and hope to see you more.  I believe that people in certain callings can create circles - e.g. that your SS President could create circles for the classes.  The average member can't do that (and probably not the SS Teacher, unless someone in the ward can grant them that right).

FWIW, the Church has forums for all its apps - they aren't visited by the development teams, but there are tech users there who may be able to help more.  Here's the one for the "Living" app. You can use your Church (website and Library / Tools app) login there, if you want to post.

I can't create circles at my level.   I can add people to circles that aren't automatically in them, though.