Modest Temple Dresses

Guest Iggy

I am thinking of either sewing my own temple dress or having it sewn for me. I called the Distribution Center to ask for the particulars that I need to follow. It is closed - and I am just too impatient to wait until Monday. I have been looking at a few patterns - I found one that I like, but it has cap sleeves or 3/4 sleeves. I haven't settled on a pattern yet - I know there are lots of styles out there. I once made a 'nightgown' for my niece using a pioneer dress pattern with raglan sleeves. If I could find that in a Womans size 22 I would go with that! I want something that is cut really simple and plain.

The reason I want to have a dress made for me, is I can not stand to wear the 100% polyester fabrics. They are so hot and confining to me. I can wear them if the room temperature is below 70 - Haven't found a Temple yet where the temp is lower than 80! After 30 minutes I am near to fainting from the heat. Polyester does not let me breathe and it holds in my body heat and moisture. Blah!

So, I want a dress that is 100% cotton, or more cotton than anything else. I will hunt that down in due time.

My question is have any of you Sisters made your own dress? What are the particulars other than all white and no see through fabric or peek-a-boo necklines?

Are there restrictions on the sleeve length? I can tolerate 3/4 length- or even to the wrist, as long as it is loose.

Thanks - in advance

Iggy

I probably couldn't sew a dress to save my life, but I definitely identify with being hot in those dresses! My first time in the temple, I had just started the pill and I was miserable. It made me hot, nauseous, and I had a migraine for a month. When I'm pregnant, I prefer to do initiatory work or sealings so there's not as much moving around to make me hotter. A cotton dress would be awesome. I think the sleeves are supposed to be to the wrist, but I'm not positive. You could probably ask the temple matron about it. I always giggle to myself because when I'm boiling hot, there's still always some little old lady who asks for a shawl because she's so cold. :D

Funny, I was thinking last time I was at the Temple about making my own dress too for the same reason. The material of my dress is not hot weather friendly. I saw a worker in a dress I like that looked like it was made from a cotton material and I thought to myself that looks homemade, and then I saw a lady in my session with the same dress! haha Evidently they found it somewhere. But that got me thinking about making my own too. I'm not positive on the sleeves, but I don't think I've seen a dress with less than to the wrist for a sleeve so I would shoot for that at least.

I have and old long sleve one of my mothers, "can I wear that?'

When you are taking Temple Preperation classes, talk to your RS Pres about it. You may want to make arrangements with her so that she can see it. There are restrictions on what will be allowed as a Temple Dress.

I have and old long sleve one of my mothers, "can I wear that?'

Hi Peg!

You can wear a wedding dress for a temple wedding, but for regular endowment sessions, you wear a simple white dress. :) I thought maybe there was some confusion as to what kind of temple dresses were being referred to. When I got married, I found a beautiful wedding dress that was very modest with a detachable train with a bow on the back with a rose in the middle of it and faux buttons all the way up the back, lots of beading, and it had lots of pretty lace too.

As far as endowment dresses go, the ones you buy from the church clothing store are pretty, but all the ones I've seen are made of polyester and they just don't breathe well.

There's a store in Provo not far from campus that sells temple and bridal dresses... I think the name is "Beautiful in White" or something similar... they have lots of cotton dresses. In fact I think they have only cotton dresses. Maybe you can Google them for a catalog...

Garden Girl

Edit to add: In fact, I think the BYU bookstore carries some of their dresses... maybe by contacting the bookstore you could find out the name of the store, or request a catalog.

I've only ever seen long sleve temple dresses. The neckline has to be high as well, and it has to be minimal embroidery, if any. A cotton dress sounds good. I wonder why they havent done any already? One time when kneeling doing sealings i almost passed out from the stifling heat!

That's the kind of dress I wore durring my baptisim, it was a big white tent and it was tight on my neck. :angry:

There's a store in Provo not far from campus that sells temple and bridal dresses... I think the name is "Beautiful in White" or something similar... they have lots of cotton dresses. In fact I think they have only cotton dresses. Maybe you can Google them for a catalog...

Garden Girl

Edit to add: In fact, I think the BYU bookstore carries some of their dresses... maybe by contacting the bookstore you could find out the name of the store, or request a catalog.

There can't be lace?

Okay, for those who would like ideas for sewing... or want to order a cotton dress... I found the website for the store I was referring to... it's called: Dressed in White...

I googled... Dressed in White Temple Dresses... and the site came up. Then I went to their "Dresses" part and there's about 10+ color pictures of real models wearing their styles.

The telephone number for more information is: 1-877-IN-WHITE

Garden Girl

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the links - nearly all of the dresses at those links are 100% nylon or polyester. This is what I am trying to get away from. I am looking for 100% Cotton.

I called Beehive Clothing and I will have to go with long sleeves - to the wrist. The other requirements are: Modest neckline, at least tea length (just above the ankles). No see through material. As for fabric - modest. So I am assuming that beads and bangles, sequins, velvet are not appropriate. Those would be way too hot for me anyway.

Now I will go and look at dress patterns and fabrics. Depending on the pattern, I just may be able to make it myself. If it is simple enough.

Oh, I should have asked if I can make the rest of the articles. No, can't make anything other than the dress. ok - now I have a "mission" to find a dress pattern I like and hopefully can make.

Thank you all for the links - nearly all of the dresses at those links are 100% nylon or polyester. This is what I am trying to get away from. I am looking for 100% Cotton.

I called Beehive Clothing and I will have to go with long sleeves - to the wrist. The other requirements are: Modest neckline, at least tea length (just above the ankles). No see through material. As for fabric - modest. So I am assuming that beads and bangles, sequins, velvet are not appropriate. Those would be way too hot for me anyway.

Now I will go and look at dress patterns and fabrics. Depending on the pattern, I just may be able to make it myself. If it is simple enough.

Oh, I should have asked if I can make the rest of the articles. No, can't make anything other than the dress. ok - now I have a "mission" to find a dress pattern I like and hopefully can make.

I check Dressed in White. They are 100% cotton.

• 5 weeks later...

I made my own gown out of batiste and cotton insertion lace. I tend to be very old fashioned in my dress and quite honestly, disliked the styles that the beehive offered (sorry!). I went with an Edwardian style gown (early 1900's) that suited me and met the modesty guidelines for the temple. Of course, it also meant that I needed several petticoats, a chemise and a camisole to finish the ensemble but I must admit, when I wear my garments, I feel beautiful (which is rare for me) and I'm ready for our Lords work and His presence.

My gown is completely washable and have no problems with feeling too warm. The cotton is breathable and comfortable. Polyester and nylon were two fabrics immediately dismissed due to lack of breathability and meltdown if the drier got too hot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I would update this. I finally found a modest 100% cotton Temple dress. Found it at Dressed In White. This is it: https://www.dressedinwhite.com/www/product.do?pid=1047

I have ordered it and should be receiving it in about another week. After looking all over for one, then looking at patterns and fabrics, I was so happy to find one that costs pretty much what I would have had to spend on fabric, pattern and a seamstress.