Just for fun, a poll for Americans (and, what the heck, for interested non-Americans, too)

Vort

Just for fun, a poll for Americans (and, what the heck, for interested non-Americans, too)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following best describes you? (It's anonymous, so be honest)

• I could not name or locate a single US state
    • I could name and locate my home state and the states it borders
    • I could name and locate states in my general area of the country (e.g. the South, New England, western US, heartland)
    • I could name most of the states if I had a map showing US state borders
    • I could name all the states if I had the map from #4.
    • I could name all the states even without a map.
    • Given a blank blackboard and a piece of chalk, I could sketch from memory alone a reasonable facsimile of a map of the US, showing all states by approximate relative size, shape, and location
    • I also know the state capitals...
    • ...and I could put them on my map in the correct general location within the corresponding states

I think the question has a flaw.  I could easily name all states without a map, but if I was asked to fill in a map with state names, I would have to fill in all the states I know first and get the ones I don't know perfectly by elimination.  That said, I may know them better than I think, haha. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 7/23/2022 at 8:26 PM, NeuroTypical said:

You're talkin' to the guy who won Mr. Nelson's 6th grade homeroom semesterlong flash-card-state-capitals contest, pal.  That said, I'm probably down to about 15 state capitals, and maybe 20 states when given a map with borders.

6th grade as well.  It was not a speed contest.  It was just an exam.

Mrs. Walls gave us the states, and we had to name the capital.  There were only three of us who got 100%... come to think of it, I'm not sure if #3 got 100%, but he was close. 

Edited by Carborendum

11 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

@Vort-how would do with a map of Europe? Outside of Spain, Italy, the UK, and France, I’d stumble through it. I’d be cooked on Eastern Europe completely. 

Great question. Sitting here, I could probably do all or at least most of western Europe even without a map. Eastern Europe would be much harder for me. Same with SE Asia; I could name the  major places, but even with a map I might not be able to tell Myanmar from Burma*.

*(The answer to your question is "Yes".)

Africa is where I would fall flat. I'd do okay with northern Africa, but subSaharan Africa is another story. Not sure I'd get half of them right, even with a map outlining the countries.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Same with SE Asia; I could name the  major places, but even with a map I might not be able to tell Myanmar from Burma*

I could do SE Asia fairly well too, but only because of exchange students we’ve hosted. Like you, it’s the major places. 

I could easily so the Middle East-from Egypt to Iran and all around. I might be able to stumble blindly through Africa with a puncher’s chance of getting a few right. 

5 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

I, too, would struggle mightily with Eastern Europe and Africa. In part because some of the political borders have changed (some dramatically) from when I was young.

Yup, same. I remember a globe my aunt gave me as birthday gift when I was very little. It was still when the Soviet Union was around!