Esther

Carborendum

In doing the reading for this week, I found a couple of interesting things today regarding the Book of Esther.

• Historians (including Jewish historians) tend to believe this is fiction.  Historical fiction, but fiction nonetheless.  One theory calls it a "historical novella."
  • Feminists tend to be greatly offended by this story (quelle suprise!) because it talks of a "fool of a king" banishing his queen for simply refusing to appear when summoned.  And they blame this on the fact that the king was drunk.  Probably with a bunch of drunk friends.  And she really wasn't in the mood for that.  Ok.

Well, 

People tend to rank it up there with Song of Solomon since these are the only two books that do not mention God.  Of course, most of Christianity believes the Song of Songs to be a metaphor for Christ's love for his people.  Uhmmm... yeah...

So, any thoughts on Eshter?

Edited by Carborendum

4 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

The church released a video a few years ago based on the story of Esther, that I thought was brilliantly done:

This is actually linked in the Come Follow Me for the week. There is also another one that is linked (different actors).  Both put together make an interesting combo.

• 2 months later...

When I heard somebody say that the book of Esther did not mention God, I was confused because I thought I remembered having just read a mention. Then I realized he wasn't explicitly mentioned; I was just reading him in as the one who had placed Esther in that place at that time.

For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

Esther 4:14

On 10/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, SilentOne said:

When I heard somebody say that the book of Esther did not mention God, I was confused because I thought I remembered having just read a mention. Then I realized he wasn't explicitly mentioned; I was just reading him in as the one who had placed Esther in that place at that time.

Yes, the comment was specifically talking about invoking the name of Yahweh.  It is not used even once in all of Esther or S of S.

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2022 at 8:21 PM, SilentOne said:

Yep. Esther and Song of Songs are the two books of the Bible that never mention God.