Falling Stars

Carborendum

22 hours ago, Vort said:

I loved watching Russell play, but my GOAT for center, and probably for all-around player, remains Wilt.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, hzdbl5 said:

Arguably the best player ever.  He is my GOAT.

Where would you guys put Kareem? 

I’m too young to have watched Russell (or Wilt) play. But I’ve seen a ton of videos of Russell. I’m also a big big Celtics guy, so I have an inherent dislike of Kareem. But, I do think he was great. 

I’d also put Hakeem up there too. Russell, Wilt, Shaq, and Olajuwon are my top centers. 

Edited by LDSGator

51 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Where would you guys put Kareem? 

I’m too young to have watched Russell (or Wilt) play. But I’ve seen a ton of videos of Russell. I’m also a big big Celtics guy, so I have an inherent dislike of Kareem. But, I do think he was great. 

I’d also put Hakeem up there too. Russell, Wilt, Shaq, and Olajuwon are my top centers. 

Don't forget David Robinson and Patrick Ewing. (Ignore Ewing's lack of championships. He never got the help he needed, and no one not named Chamberlain can win a game all by himself. Not even Jordan.)

Never liked Kareem. 7'2" of crybaby. But he was a great center in an era of great centers. He stood out, literally and figuratively. Easily a top 5 all-time center, and easily a top 30 all-time player.

Olajuwon was always, always, always underrated. He may have been The Best Pure Center Of All Time No I Am Not Joking Even A Little. I absolutely loved the guy; maybe my favorite player, certainly among the top few. Unbelievably athletic, freakishly smart (basketball-wise), and HE NEVER PLAYED BASKETBALL UNTIL HE WAS FIFTEEN YEARS OLD. Despite being billed as 7' or 6'11", could not have been more than 6'9" or 6'10". Just look at him standing next to other centers of the time. Abdul-Jabbar looked to be four inches taller. Olajuwon played like he was 7'6", while my man Shawn Bradley (always pulled for him), who really was 7'6", often played like he was 6'9". Difference in temperament and mindset.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Don't forget David Robinson and Patrick Ewing

Two great picks. And let’s not forget that the Admiral missed out on some years in his prime due to his Navy obligations. You are right about Ewing too. Great player. 

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Olajuwon was always, always, always underrated. He may have been The Best Pure Center Of All Time No I Am Not Joking Even A Little.

It amazes me that a guy with two rings is underrated but he is, vastly so. In his prime he was basically toying with other centers, making them look foolish. 

Yes, maybe the best pure center of all time. Totally agree, 100%. 

4 hours ago, scottyg said:

Olivia Newton John passed away today as well. Maybe something is up...

*sigh* The closest thing I ever had to a celebrity crush was ONJ, even though she was more than 12 years older than me (and thus, I guess, technically old enough to be my mother). I liked a lot of her pop/country songs when I was an innocent tweener, before my descent into the living hell that is rock and metal. I rather hated Grease, though I liked much of the music. Her most popular album was probably Physical, which my older sister really liked but I did not. I suppose that right now, "Let's get physical" is rather the opposite of appropriate.

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

Barbara Eden really was old enough to be my mother. I did envy Tony, though, even as a boy.

Speaking of which, what kind of moron has a beautiful, ageless, all-powerful girl so totally in love with him that she (literally) throws herself at him at every opportunity, but he's too distracted to pay attention? There should have been a movie called "What's Wrong With Tony Nelson?"

5 hours ago, Vort said:

*sigh* The closest thing I ever had to a celebrity crush was ONJ, even though she was more than 12 years older than me (and thus, I guess, technically old enough to be my mother). I liked a lot of her pop/country songs when I was an innocent tweener, before my descent into the living hell that is rock and metal. I rather hated Grease, though I liked much of the music. Her most popular album was probably Physical, which my older sister really liked but I did not. I suppose that right now, "Let's get physical" is rather the opposite of appropriate.

I’m not exactly sure why I dislike Grease so viscerally; but I do.  I see it as a major step backward in the country’s morality; and its appeal to teenagers made it particularly insidious.  ONJ was part and parcel of that culture (“Let’s Get Physical” was deeply problematic); and while I hope she finds repentance—I can’t say the world is a worse place for her absence.  

12 hours ago, Vort said:

image.jpeg.a17b8e1f26f454b069e75564da5a92fe.jpeg

12 hours ago, mikbone said:

image.jpeg.8c465c295b2afb2b9880d5f91fc4351e.jpeg

38 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

image.jpeg.97281d9b4a2d3463039541e816ef33b4.jpeg

And lest we forget...

image.jpeg.63743f44b89fe4770bbccb2e01af556a.jpeg

I remember a movie about a bunch of pre-pubescent boys having a pow-wow about their celebrity objects of their affection.  Three of the above were mentioned as alternatives to Ginger and Mary Ann.

(No implication on present company, of course).

8 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’m not exactly sure why I dislike Grease so viscerally; but I do.  I see it as a major step backward in the country’s morality; and its appeal to teenagers made it particularly insidious.  ONJ was part and parcel of that culture (“Let’s Get Physical” was deeply problematic); and while I hope she finds repentance—I can’t say the world is a worse place for her absence.  

Well, thank goodness no one asked what your thoughts are about Xanadu! 

(seriously, Google that movie) 

😉

Edited by LDSGator

21 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’ve seen the play.  I don’t recall any specific reactions to it except that overall I wasn’t impressed.

The movie is a notorious bomb. The only reason I know about it is because it killed the career of the lead actor, who was in one of my all time favorite movies. 

Olivia Newtown John was in the movie. 

Edited by LDSGator

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Ginger and Mary Ann.

As a child I was a Mary Ann guy, like 90% of the male population.  I didn't really watch much Gilligan's Island past my childhood, but I remember as a 30-something-year-old seeing a photograph of Ginger and saying to myself, "What was I thinking?"

31 minutes ago, Vort said:

As a child I was a Mary Ann guy, like 90% of the male population.  I didn't really watch much Gilligan's Island past my childhood, but I remember as a 30-something-year-old seeing a photograph of Ginger and saying to myself, "What was I thinking?"

I had a crush on Paula Abdul as a child but now I feel the same way you do. She looks nothing like the women I find attractive as an adult. 

Edited by LDSGator

5 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Well, thank goodness no one asked what your thoughts are about Xanadu! 

Heh. That was the graduation movie at my elementary school!  After that, we all went roller skating, which was even bigger than the movie made it look.  Only problem was @mirkwood crashing the school party and beating us all up.

• 1 month later...

Ann Heche (a while ago, I don't know why she didn't show up on other lists I looked up).

Mike Hagerty (a lesser known star, but a recognizable face in many shows).

Roger Mosley (T.C. from Magnum P.I.)

Henry Silva (famous for playing "the heavy")

The Queen (of course)

LQ Jones (a lot of westerns)

Larry Stork (F-Troop)

Kenneth Tsang (Hong Kong actor)

Liz Sheridan (Jerry's mom on Seinfeld)

Mitchell Ryan (Character actor)